PDA

View Full Version : I Need Advice

Hobbit
04-21-2007, 10:10 PM
My boss sucks. This subject is not up for debate. Everybody in the department and half the people in the store hate her guts. My dad, a management consultant, is of the opinion that she is stupid. I also know several customers that she has driven off. If they see her behind the counter, they turn the other way.

That being said, she did something really bad to a customer, again, tonight. She was making one customer a sandwich. Two more customers walked up together to the sandwich line, so I dropped what I was doing and started making one of them a sandwich. About the time I got the roll cut open, another customer walked up to the slicer counter. My boss then told me to stop making a sandwich for the customer I was on (who was there first) and go slice something for the other guy. Now, I didn't want to start a fight right there in front of customers, so I did what I was told, but if I had been that customer (the one whose sandwich I dropped to go help the other guy), I would have walked out and not come back. After the building was free of customers, I brought this up with the manager, saying politely that I felt this wasn't a sound decision and that when she did this before (that time, to somebody I know), the customer was very, VERY angry and felt devalued, and that I felt doing that told the customer that she was less important than that other guy who just walked up. She told me that she didn't want one 'section' unmanned when a customer was standing there while there were two people at another 'section.' I pointed out that the customer I had been waiting on was there first, to which she replied, "I'm the manager, and I made the decision. It's on my shoulders."

Ok, now that that's out of the way, the advice part. I'm furious. She embarassed me and likely alienated yet another customer. The last time she did this, it was to somebody who worked there, and she didn't buy another sandwich from us for months. If she wanted a sandwich, she would actually leave the store and go down the street to Subway or Blimpie's for a sub, because that's how pissed she was. Seeing as how I'm furious, I'm inclined to go talk to the store manager about it, but is that too extreme? I talked to her about it once, and I know that bringing it up again directly with her is a brick wall. However, I don't think the situation has been appropriately resolved, and I don't think the customers are going to complain, just not come back to the store again in the future (95% of all customers who are so dissatisfied with their service that they never return to the store also never compain, they just walk away with their money). The only next step I have is the store manager. However, I know this would 'stir the puddin' quite a bit, and if she isn't fired or transfered, she's petty enough to make my remaining weeks there a living Hell, not that my time there so far has been a picnic. So yeah, store manager or let is slide and coast it out?

shattered
04-21-2007, 10:13 PM
My boss sucks. This subject is not up for debate. Everybody in the department and half the people in the store hate her guts. My dad, a management consultant, is of the opinion that she is stupid. I also know several customers that she has driven off. If they see her behind the counter, they turn the other way.

That being said, she did something really bad to a customer, again, tonight. She was making one customer a sandwich. Two more customers walked up together to the sandwich line, so I dropped what I was doing and started making one of them a sandwich. About the time I got the roll cut open, another customer walked up to the slicer counter. My boss then told me to stop making a sandwich for the customer I was on (who was there first) and go slice something for the other guy. Now, I didn't want to start a fight right there in front of customers, so I did what I was told, but if I had been that customer (the one whose sandwich I dropped to go help the other guy), I would have walked out and not come back. After the building was free of customers, I brought this up with the manager, saying politely that I felt this wasn't a sound decision and that when she did this before (that time, to somebody I know), the customer was very, VERY angry and felt devalued, and that I felt doing that told the customer that she was less important than that other guy who just walked up. She told me that she didn't want one 'section' unmanned when a customer was standing there while there were two people at another 'section.' I pointed out that the customer I had been waiting on was there first, to which she replied, "I'm the manager, and I made the decision. It's on my shoulders."

Ok, now that that's out of the way, the advice part. I'm furious. She embarassed me and likely alienated yet another customer. The last time she did this, it was to somebody who worked there, and she didn't buy another sandwich from us for months. If she wanted a sandwich, she would actually leave the store and go down the street to Subway or Blimpie's for a sub, because that's how pissed she was. Seeing as how I'm furious, I'm inclined to go talk to the store manager about it, but is that too extreme? I talked to her about it once, and I know that bringing it up again directly with her is a brick wall. However, I don't think the situation has been appropriately resolved, and I don't think the customers are going to complain, just not come back to the store again in the future (95% of all customers who are so dissatisfied with their service that they never return to the store also never compain, they just walk away with their money). The only next step I have is the store manager. However, I know this would 'stir the puddin' quite a bit, and if she isn't fired or transfered, she's petty enough to make my remaining weeks there a living Hell, not that my time there so far has been a picnic. So yeah, store manager or let is slide and coast it out?

Coast it out.. You can't fire someone for being stupid, but you can let them boil their own ass...

LiberalNation
04-21-2007, 10:15 PM
Sucks to have a boss like that. kinda like bad teachers, you can't really do anything about it though. They have the power, you don't.

manu1959
04-21-2007, 10:15 PM
Coast it out.. You can't fire someone for being stupid, but you can let them boil their own ass...

nah i would go look for a job at another sandwich shop.....

shattered
04-21-2007, 10:16 PM

He already made it sound like he won't be there long..hence the "coast it out", and "my remaining weeks"... So...

manu1959
04-21-2007, 10:17 PM
He already made it sound like he won't be there long..hence the "coast it out", and "my remaining weeks"... So...

wow...you are right again....:poke:

shattered
04-21-2007, 10:18 PM
wow...you are right again....:poke:

It's the "girl" in me.

manu1959
04-21-2007, 10:19 PM
It's the "girl" in me.

it is the price we pay for the squishy bits....

5stringJeff
04-21-2007, 10:19 PM

Boil... ass... yuck.

Anyway, I agree.

:)

shattered
04-21-2007, 10:22 PM
Boil... ass... yuck.

Anyway, I agree.

:)

Sorry.. It's been a disgusting night.

shattered
04-21-2007, 10:23 PM
it is the price we pay for the squishy bits....

I don't have anymore squishy bits. Now I'm just plain toxic. :)

Hobbit
04-21-2007, 10:27 PM
Well, thanks, and yeah, Shattered is right. Anyway, I feel better. I still hate my job, but I'm doing an exit interview when I leave. I love the company, and I don't want to see its name dragged through the mud by a moron.

manu1959
04-21-2007, 10:27 PM
I don't have anymore squishy bits. Now I'm just plain toxic. :)

bummer.....i liked the squishy bits

Mr. P
04-21-2007, 10:38 PM

And when i found one I would tell the store manager why. Ya never know ya might be promoted.

manu1959
04-21-2007, 10:40 PM
And when i found one I would tell the store manager why. Ya never know ya might be promoted.

exactly....

Hobbit
04-21-2007, 11:49 PM

I know that if I threatened to quit today, I'd get a raise, but I like to think of myself as above such things. If I decide to leave before I intended to, there will be no incentive, short of getting rid of that cow, that will convince me to stay.

remie
04-22-2007, 07:54 AM
, to which she replied, "I'm the manager, and I made the decision. It's on my shoulders."

Thats the bottom line like it or not. Go find yourself a new job and tell her to stick it.

Pale Rider
04-22-2007, 12:05 PM
I know that if I threatened to quit today, I'd get a raise, but I like to think of myself as above such things. If I decide to leave before I intended to, there will be no incentive, short of getting rid of that cow, that will convince me to stay.

Just remember this Hobbit, "nice guys finish last." You're finding out that's true. If she's an incompetent cow, make it known to the right people. If she makes your job hell or fires you for exposing her, there's laws against that, and you can roast her ass in court. Talk to the manager, but let the management also know that you believe she's of the sort to retaliate against you for talking to him/her.

I think incompetence abounds in this world today. There's too damn many stupid fucks in positions of athourity. I think if there's a chance or a way to dethrown them, DO IT!

Hobbit
04-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Just remember this Hobbit, "nice guys finish last." You're finding out that's true. If she's an incompetent cow, make it known to the right people. If she makes your job hell or fires you for exposing her, there's laws against that, and you can roast her ass in court. Talk to the manager, but let the management also know that you believe she's of the sort to retaliate against you for talking to him/her.

I think incompetence abounds in this world today. There's too damn many stupid fucks in positions of athourity. I think if there's a chance or a way to dethrown them, DO IT!

I'm thinking I'll just do it on the way out the door in a couple of months (at the absolute latest, I'm outta here by August as I have to see a friend get married). Oh, and by the way, I know nice guys finish last, and while I may be caring, hardworking, and kind, but I ain't nice. You've seen me post. If I know I'm right, I'll (figuratively) rip your throat out and sleep well that night.

Mr. P
04-22-2007, 02:02 PM

Damn ain't that the truth!!

shattered
04-22-2007, 02:05 PM
Unfortunately, given it's the equivalent of "fast food", what do you expect? You're not going to see much professionalism there, and you sure as hell aren't going to get anywhere starting a lawsuit over it.. Thus, you suck it up, do your job, and get the hell out as fast as your little legs can carry you, and move toward a real job. :)

Mr. P
04-22-2007, 02:19 PM
Unfortunately, given it's the equivalent of "fast food", what do you expect? You're not going to see much professionalism there, and you sure as hell aren't going to get anywhere starting a lawsuit over it.. Thus, you suck it up, do your job, and get the hell out as fast as your little legs can carry you, and move toward a real job. :)

hey it's suppose to be a great company to work for, policy is promote from within..If Hobbit does what he needs to do it's possible he could be a store manager in a few years. That's a real job.

shattered
04-22-2007, 02:22 PM
hey it's suppose to be a great company to work for, policy is promote from within..If Hobbit does what he needs to do it's possible he could be a store manager in a few years. That's a real job.

Maybe, but if it's so great, how come they're not so picky about those they put into management? MY guess is like most fast food places, employees are a dime a dozen, and if one makes to make it through a measly year, they're automatically qualified for promotion, regardless of the job they do.

Hobbit
04-22-2007, 02:45 PM
Maybe, but if it's so great, how come they're not so picky about those they put into management? MY guess is like most fast food places, employees are a dime a dozen, and if one makes to make it through a measly year, they're automatically qualified for promotion, regardless of the job they do.

Not this company. She's an anomaly.

Edit: I've been with that company for 2 years straight during this stint, and I haven't even been promoted to full time.

Abbey Marie
04-22-2007, 02:45 PM
, to which she replied, "I'm the manager, and I made the decision. It's on my shoulders."

Thats the bottom line like it or not. Go find yourself a new job and tell her to stick it.

I agree with Remie, except for necessarily saying you have to find a new job. Sometimes it's better to stick it out and move on when the time is right for you. It doesn't seem that she is picking on you or doing anything bad behind your back. It seems more like just a difference in work ethic.

Mr. P
04-22-2007, 02:52 PM

Well, I've never worked there, but you know there are assholes in management everywhere. I'm pretty sure they don't hire like fast food places though. Most of the employees I see are mature adults.
I hear they pay very well, and I've heard even part-timers get benefits too, Hobbit could verify that for us.

Pale Rider
04-22-2007, 02:53 PM
I'm thinking I'll just do it on the way out the door in a couple of months (at the absolute latest, I'm outta here by August as I have to see a friend get married). Oh, and by the way, I know nice guys finish last, and while I may be caring, hardworking, and kind, but I ain't nice. You've seen me post. If I know I'm right, I'll (figuratively) rip your throat out and sleep well that night.

It's going to be too late in a couple of months. Either "rip her throat out" now, or forget it.

If she's a total witch, and your separation is near anyway, treat her like the incompetent cow she is. Have some fun with it. If she's been making your job miserable there, get some pay back. "Give what you get". I would. Yes I'm vindictive.

shattered
04-22-2007, 02:55 PM

Edit: I've been with that company for 2 years straight during this stint, and I haven't even been promoted to full time.

Have you ever called in sick? Have you ever been late? Do you always put forth more than the bare minimum (in this case, it sounds like you do).. If you're going above and beyond, why not *ask* for full time, then? Or, perhaps you're not getting full time because they're aware you're leaving anyway?

shattered
04-22-2007, 03:00 PM
It's going to be too late in a couple of months. Either "rip her throat out" now, or forget it.

If she's a total witch, and your separation is near anyway, treat her like the incompetent cow she is. Have some fun with it. If she's been making your job miserable there, get some pay back. "Give what you get". I would. Yes I'm vindictive.

Sometimes it's better to be the bigger person, and just let something go.. Especially if you *want* to advance.. Whether or not it's said, how you handle certain situations is noticed by those around you. He said he fully plans on doing the exit interview..that would be the time to air any differences, and make his concerns noted, since if I remember right, both parties *sign* the paperwork from that interview, and it stays on file. Hobbit also gets a copy of it.

Pale Rider
04-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Sometimes it's better to be the bigger person, and just let something go.. Especially if you *want* to advance.. Whether or not it's said, how you handle certain situations is noticed by those around you. He said he fully plans on doing the exit interview..that would be the time to air any differences, and make his concerns noted, since if I remember right, both parties *sign* the paperwork from that interview, and it stays on file. Hobbit also gets a copy of it.

Well, I'm not perfect by any means. The way I live my life and handle my affairs certainly may not be the best example to follow. However, I have a problem with people that waltz through life as though they are the most important person on earth, and everybody else is secondary to them. This sort of arrogance boils my blood. I won't stand for it, and I won't take it. I usually address it on the spot. Because my experience has been that if you don't, that sort of conduct will continue.

shattered
04-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Well, I'm not perfect by any means. The way I live my life and handle my affairs certainly may not be the best example to follow. However, I have a problem with people that waltz through life as though they are the most important person on earth, and everybody else is secondary to them. This sort of arrogance boils my blood. I won't stand for it, and I won't take it. I usually address it on the spot. Because my experience has been that if you don't, that sort of conduct will continue.

True.. But it's better to do that when you're a little older than your early 20's, and you're in a stable job, and have proven yourself to be invaluable.. Otherwise, a lot of times, it just looks like you're making waves, and you're jealous..

That said.. he's in his 20's, I'm in my 30's, and I don't remember how old you are, but that's at least 3 different decades of work scenarios, and changes to muck ones way thru...

manu1959
04-22-2007, 03:17 PM
my advice....marry rich....

Abbey Marie
04-22-2007, 03:19 PM
my advice....marry rich....

Rich who?

manu1959
04-22-2007, 03:21 PM
Rich who?

don't quit your day job....:laugh2:

Abbey Marie
04-22-2007, 03:22 PM
don't quit your day job....:laugh2:

Too late! :coffee:

Pale Rider
04-22-2007, 03:26 PM
True.. But it's better to do that when you're a little older than your early 20's, and you're in a stable job, and have proven yourself to be invaluable.. Otherwise, a lot of times, it just looks like you're making waves, and you're jealous..

That said.. he's in his 20's, I'm in my 30's, and I don't remember how old you are, but that's at least 3 different decades of work scenarios, and changes to muck ones way thru...

Could be. I'm 51. Will be 52 in July. I supposed I didn't get as adamant about my convictions until a little later on. It does help to have some power of your own in your own position. To be not very easily replaced.

Pale Rider
04-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Too late! :coffee:

You too?

shattered
04-22-2007, 03:28 PM
Could be. I'm 51. Will be 52 in July. I supposed I didn't get as adamant about my convictions until a little later on. It does help to have some power of your own in your own position. To be not very easily replaced.

Ok, we're missing a decade..

Anyone in their 40's want to weigh in? :D

I think we've got someone in their 60's.. I'm pretty sure P is at LEAST that old. :cool:

Mr. P
04-22-2007, 03:30 PM

I think we've got someone in their 60's.. I'm pretty sure P is at LEAST that old. :cool:

Not yet yank. With luck, someday.:laugh2:

shattered
04-22-2007, 03:30 PM
Not yet yank. With luck, someday.:laugh2:

Oh. Whoops.

manu1959
04-22-2007, 03:31 PM

47......gave my advice.....quit and marry rich.....

shattered
04-22-2007, 03:37 PM
47......gave my advice.....quit and marry rich.....

Are you rich?

manu1959
04-22-2007, 03:39 PM
Are you rich?

no but my wife is....thus my point...

shattered
04-22-2007, 03:39 PM
no but my wife is....thus my point...

Oh. Hmph.

jackass
04-22-2007, 05:15 PM

Yikes!! You have a Costco around ya?

Hobbit
04-22-2007, 05:20 PM
I'm over not getting full time. Instead, I make a little money on the side doing computer repair for about 1/2 the cost of the Geek Squad (after Geek Squad turned me down for a job, I undercut them...and get paid more). I was mad at the time, however. About a year ago, I asked if I could get full time, and was told that they didn't really have any room for another full-timer. Fair enough, but not long after this harpy got there, a full-timer quit, and the position went to a guy with less seniority who threatened to quit. Then I got the worst employee evaluation in the department, despite doing twice the work in the same time, being the only person who knows how to fully operate and repair the equipment (everytime I leave for more than 2 days, crap breaks), and being the ONLY person who doesn't bitch about the amount of work I have to do. If they weren't paying me so well, I'd be gone already, but I haven't yet found anybody paying $9/hour to new hirees, and everybody there except this boss loves me, and she only pays enough lip service to liking me to keep me from quitting, because she knows she's gonna be stuck with a tall repair bill the week I leave.

jackass
04-22-2007, 05:38 PM
Costco is now starting at 11 bucks an hour!

glockmail
04-22-2007, 08:11 PM
My boss sucks. ...... After the building was free of customers, I brought this up with the manager, .....

1. Always try to deal directly with the offender instead of going over their head.
2. The manager my be getting action from your boss. If that's the case you best quit as soon as you can.

Hobbit
04-23-2007, 02:02 PM
1. Always try to deal directly with the offender instead of going over their head.
2. The manager my be getting action from your boss. If that's the case you best quit as soon as you can.

I think you misunderstand. I did take it up with just the offender.

My Boss = The Manager

If I went over her head, I'd be going to the store manager.

Anyway, I don't know if this is going to end well. Last night, I had to do a bunch of heavy, greasy cleaning, but we were out of oven cleaner (like what happens every other week, because she never orders until we're completely out), so I had to get some EZ Off from the shelf. She did not directly order me to do this, though it was, as I understood it, SOP when there's no oven cleaner. Well, after the oven was done, she told me to clean the chicken hot case. She already had me at my wits end, and I wasn't thinking clearly, or I would have told her to go f*ck herself. I sprayed the crap and got a lungful of lye. I was in no mood to put up with any more bullcrap, so I just held my breath and finished scrubbing so I could leave. I scrubbed so hard that my arms cramped from the shoulders down, since the moron who normally closes up chicken NEVER scrubs that thing, and the gunk on there had been baking for months. I said I wanted an incident report form before I left (one was for getting the crap on my arm. Nothing serious and I'm fine now), and said so again after the inhilation. She better just not have heard me, because she left the store before I had clocked out and the stock manager, who lives an hour away and had to be back at 8 am (it was 11pm), had to stick around long enough to fill out the form.

Four hours later, I was checking out of the emergency room with an albuterol inhaler. My chest is congested, as is (to a more limited extend) my nose. I cought like hell every time I breathe too deep. Yeah, I'm pissed, and only slightly more so than the store manager. The cow is off today, and I won't be around tomorrow when the sparks fly, but the store manager would like to talk with me, and I don't think he'll be happy to know that I may develop pneumonitis within the next couple of days.

We're talking about safety issues, now. This one ain't going under the rug, especially after I was forced to report a couple of weeks ago on one of our devices that burned out. I thought the fuse might have blown, so I pulled out the fuse box, to find a mess of burned wires and a blown fuse wrapped in aluminum foil. It cost us a pretty penny to fix that.

glockmail
04-23-2007, 02:54 PM
I think you misunderstand. I did take it up with just the offender.

My Boss = The Manager

If I went over her head, I'd be going to the store manager.

Anyway, I don't know if this is going to end well. Last night, I had to do a bunch of heavy, greasy cleaning, but we were out of oven cleaner (like what happens every other week, because she never orders until we're completely out), so I had to get some EZ Off from the shelf. She did not directly order me to do this, though it was, as I understood it, SOP when there's no oven cleaner. Well, after the oven was done, she told me to clean the chicken hot case. She already had me at my wits end, and I wasn't thinking clearly, or I would have told her to go f*ck herself. I sprayed the crap and got a lungful of lye. I was in no mood to put up with any more bullcrap, so I just held my breath and finished scrubbing so I could leave. I scrubbed so hard that my arms cramped from the shoulders down, since the moron who normally closes up chicken NEVER scrubs that thing, and the gunk on there had been baking for months. I said I wanted an incident report form before I left (one was for getting the crap on my arm. Nothing serious and I'm fine now), and said so again after the inhilation. She better just not have heard me, because she left the store before I had clocked out and the stock manager, who lives an hour away and had to be back at 8 am (it was 11pm), had to stick around long enough to fill out the form.

Four hours later, I was checking out of the emergency room with an albuterol inhaler. My chest is congested, as is (to a more limited extend) my nose. I cought like hell every time I breathe too deep. Yeah, I'm pissed, and only slightly more so than the store manager. The cow is off today, and I won't be around tomorrow when the sparks fly, but the store manager would like to talk with me, and I don't think he'll be happy to know that I may develop pneumonitis within the next couple of days.

We're talking about safety issues, now. This one ain't going under the rug, especially after I was forced to report a couple of weeks ago on one of our devices that burned out. I thought the fuse might have blown, so I pulled out the fuse box, to find a mess of burned wires and a blown fuse wrapped in aluminum foil. It cost us a pretty penny to fix that.

Yes I did misunderstand.

You best leave and find a better job somewhere else. I'd also sue the store.

5stringJeff
04-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Dude... you need to look after your health, for sure. You probably ought not to have kept the lye in your lungs, though.

jackass
04-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Where do you work??

Abbey Marie
04-23-2007, 04:18 PM
If you're pretty sure you are about to be fired, try to quit first. Either way, you're out, but it feels better to take the step yourself. Unless of course you are going for a lawsuit of some kind.

Hobbit
04-23-2007, 06:05 PM
If you're pretty sure you are about to be fired, try to quit first. Either way, you're out, but it feels better to take the step yourself. Unless of course you are going for a lawsuit of some kind.

Nah, the rest of the store is fine. The store manager is PISSED (edit: at my department manager, not me), as is my assistant department manager. My lungs are fine. Breathing fresh air is the best thing I can do for them (spent most of the day outside today). I see no real need to sue the store, though I'm going to ask for a department transfer, and then quit if I don't get it.

I kept trying to tell the other people in my department that got screwed by her that if they didn't confront her and she never got reprimanded for her bullcrap, she'd do something really stupid someday, and somebody would get hurt. I hate being right all the time.

Mr. P
04-23-2007, 06:15 PM
Nah, the rest of the store is fine. The store manager is PISSED (edit: at my department manager, not me), as is my assistant department manager. My lungs are fine. Breathing fresh air is the best thing I can do for them (spent most of the day outside today). I see no real need to sue the store, though I'm going to ask for a department transfer, and then quit if I don't get it.

I kept trying to tell the other people in my department that got screwed by her that if they didn't confront her and she never got reprimanded for her bullcrap, she'd do something really stupid someday, and somebody would get hurt. I hate being right all the time.

Hobbit, although I understand your situation with the boss I have to say I think you were reckless with the oven spray and task. I know you were pissed, but you can't put your actions on her.

KitchenKitten99
04-23-2007, 06:24 PM

Is there a way you can get your former co-workers to come in and vouch for you? They got screwed by her, and their statements may help get her canned.

Hobbit
04-23-2007, 11:51 PM
Hobbit, although I understand your situation with the boss I have to say I think you were reckless with the oven spray and task. I know you were pissed, but you can't put your actions on her.

I know I was reckless, and I'm not blaming her for that. What I'm so pissed off about right now is that a) she seemed collected at the time, and is supposed to know better. I didn't know until after this that it is very much AGAINST policy to do what I did. Knowing this is part of mangerial training, and while I should have known better, she should have to, but she told me to do it, anyway. b) Knowing that I was coughing like typhoid Mary and knowing that I wanted to fill out an incident report, she BAILED on me. She was out the door before I was even done with my work. I'm willing to accept responsibility for what I did to myself, but she is, by no stretch of the imagination, innocent.

Oh, and nobody learned anything from this. I just about had to kick some ass when I about got blasted again by some other dumbass, who knew EXACTLY what happened last night, tried to use the SAME EXACT STUFF to clean the oven. I about had a fit.