PDA

View Full Version : 'Deadliest Catch' Captain Phil Harris Dies At 53

crin63
02-10-2010, 10:09 AM
I really like the show and It's sad to see Capt. Phil die.

Sad news this morning: Phil Harris, captain of the Cornelia Marie fishing boat featured on Deadliest Catch, has died in Alaska. He was 53.

Harris suffered a massive stroke on Jan. 29 while the Cornelia Marie was in port at St. Paul Island, Alaska. The boat captain was flown to Anchorage for surgery.

"It is with great sadness that we say goodbye to our dad - Captain Phil Harris. Dad has always been a fighter and continued to be until the end," sons Josh and Jake Harris said in a statement on the Cornelia Marie site. "For us and the crew, he was someone who never backed down."

In a statement the network said, "Discovery mourns the loss of dear friend and colleague Captain Phil Harris. He was more than someone on our television screen. Phil was a devoted father and loyal friend to all who knew him. We will miss his straightforward honesty, wicked sense of humor and enormous heart. We share our tremendous sadness over this loss with the millions of viewers who followed Phil's every move. We send our thoughts and prayers to Phil's sons Josh and Jake and the Cornelia Marie crew."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2010/02/deadliest-catch-captain-phil-harris-dies-at-age-53/1

HogTrash
02-10-2010, 11:03 AM
I have seen the show on a couple of occasions...These are truely a tough breed of men.

Captain Phil Harris and his crew went where many would not and did what others feared.

I honor the man and his courage and will think of him each time I enjoy a king crab meal.

:salute:

crin63
02-10-2010, 11:12 AM
I have seen the show on a couple of occasions...These are truely a tough breed of men.

Captain Phil Harris and his crew went where many would not and did what others feared.

I honor the man and his courage and will think of him each time I enjoy a king crab meal.

:salute:

Yeah, those are some of the toughest guys I've ever seen.

I've worked on 3-4 hours sleep a night for a couple months straight while working 7/12's+ and driving 100+ miles each way, I've worked 40 straight hours (obviously with meal breaks) but I don't know if I could ever do what those guys do. :salute:

Binky
02-10-2010, 12:57 PM
I've seen that program a few times...It amazes me the courage it takes to bring in the catches they do and what all they have to endure to do it. We tend not to think about such things as that while eating the food they have caught and sold to market...We take it for granted and don't give a thought as to how it was put on our plates, to begin with.....

Have any of you watched that program with the lumberjacks? The name escapes me at the moment, but it's another program where men are risking their lives to get in the timber for marketing......

And how about Ice Road Truckers? Ever seen that one? That's a good one as well.....Sure makes ya think about how easy ya have it....

HogTrash
02-10-2010, 03:20 PM
I've seen that program a few times...It amazes me the courage it takes to bring in the catches they do and what all they have to endure to do it. We tend not to think about such things as that while eating the food they have caught and sold to market...We take it for granted and don't give a thought as to how it was put on our plates, to begin with.....

Have any of you watched that program with the lumberjacks? The name escapes me at the moment, but it's another program where men are risking their lives to get in the timber for marketing......

And how about Ice Road Truckers? Ever seen that one? That's a good one as well.....Sure makes ya think about how easy ya have it....I believe it is called Axmen Binky. :death:

Binky
02-10-2010, 07:02 PM
I believe it is called Axmen Binky. :death:

Yep, you're right....

Gaffer
02-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Those are all shows on the history channel, along with the pawn shop ones. I am still trying to figure out what they have to do with history.

HogTrash
02-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Those are all shows on the history channel, along with the pawn shop ones. I am still trying to figure out what they have to do with history.I have become a little bit disillusioned with the History Channel...The HC along with Nat Geo have made a habit of showing programs that depict manmade global warming as a fact.

I have also seen a documentary on either The History Channel or National Geographic that depicted Hannibal, the 2nd century BC Carthaginian warrior and military strategist, as a negro.

Those who alter history or create scientific facts according to political correctness will do so at the risk of their credibility.

Gaffer
02-10-2010, 09:07 PM
I have become a little bit disillusioned with the History Channel...The HC along with Nat Geo have made a habit of showing programs that depict manmade global warming as a fact.

I have also seen a documentary on either The History Channel or National Geographic that depicted Hannibal, the 2nd century BC Carthaginian warrior and military strategist, as a negro.

Those who alter history or create scientific facts according to political correctness will do so at the risk of their credibility.

I've seen those same things and have stopped watching them for that very reason, along with the non-history shows. Now days I stay strictly with the internet.

Binky
02-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Those are all shows on the history channel, along with the pawn shop ones. I am still trying to figure out what they have to do with history.

I have no clue what they have to do with it ither. But I like the shows and on occasion will sit and watch them when I get the chance.....

Trigg
02-11-2010, 04:07 PM
I love that show, it truely shows how much pain and suffering a person is able to endure.

crin63
07-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Did anyone catch the last couple of Deadliest Catch and After The Catch?

Those were rough, especially watching Josh & Jake going at it as their dad was laying there dying.

country
07-22-2010, 11:19 AM
I usually stay away from reality shows but I did watch axmen and deadliest catch when I could. Something bothered me a bit though about capturing the capt on his death bed and actually advertising the fact that he was dieing to build up their ratings. I realize the family went along with it but that was a little over the top for me. Got to admit I watched it anyway.

NightTrain
07-22-2010, 11:50 AM
One of my co-workers is going to be on Deadliest Catch, working for the new Captain (an old buddy of his) on Phil's old boat with the radio equipment replacement and upgrades... he's looking forward to it.

I worked out of Dutch Harbor back in '88 as a kid, I lied about my age to get on a boat out of Dutch and came back with a few thousand in my pocket and quickly learned how fast those benjamins go when you're loaded... it was a good experience all the way around.

Deadliest Catch isn't on History Channel, though, it's on Discovery Channel.

As far as Pawn Stars, I think it is appropriate because it does have a lot to do with history due to the old antique things brought in and the experts who come in and verify that it is what the seller claims it is, along with interesting facts regarding the collection or piece being discussed.

I usually only watch History, Military or Discovery anyway when I find time to watch TV, which isn't very often during the summer.

crin63
07-22-2010, 12:29 PM
I usually stay away from reality shows but I did watch axmen and deadliest catch when I could. Something bothered me a bit though about capturing the capt on his death bed and actually advertising the fact that he was dieing to build up their ratings. I realize the family went along with it but that was a little over the top for me. Got to admit I watched it anyway.

Capt. Phil told them to catch the end of his life. He learned while filming the show that everything needs a beginning, a middle and an end. He told his cameraman and friend (Todd I think) to film it. It wasn't just for ratings.

crin63
07-22-2010, 12:34 PM
One of my co-workers is going to be on Deadliest Catch, working for the new Captain (an old buddy of his) on Phil's old boat with the radio equipment replacement and upgrades... he's looking forward to it.

I worked out of Dutch Harbor back in '88 as a kid, I lied about my age to get on a boat out of Dutch and came back with a few thousand in my pocket and quickly learned how fast those benjamins go when you're loaded... it was a good experience all the way around.

As far as Pawn Stars, I think it is appropriate because it does have a lot to do with history due to the old antique things brought in and the experts who come in and verify that it is what the seller claims it is, along with interesting facts regarding the collection or piece being discussed.

I usually only watch History, Military or Discovery anyway when I find time to watch TV, which isn't very often during the summer.

Working those fishing/crabbing boats has got to one of the toughest jobs out there.

Pawn Stars is a great show. I love seeing all the stuff that is brought into the shop and the history behind it.

Mr. P
07-22-2010, 01:14 PM

Kinda like The Antique Road Show on steroids. Huh?
I like it.

country
07-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Capt. Phil told them to catch the end of his life. He learned while filming the show that everything needs a beginning, a middle and an end. He told his cameraman and friend (Todd I think) to film it. It wasn't just for ratings.

Thanks. That makes me feel less guilty for watching it