PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you ever....

Mr. P
02-10-2010, 07:58 PM
...Written a book?

Just curious.

I know emmett has, but unpublished as far as I know.

jimnyc
02-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Does a 2 page book in 3rd grade count? It was awesome, full of cool pictures and all. I think my Mommy still has it somewhere.

Gaffer
02-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Nope never wrote one, but Binky's husband has. I'm reading it now.

Binky
02-10-2010, 10:31 PM
...Written a book?

Just curious.

My hubby has. "Drafted", by William C. Stodgel. It's for sale on Amazon. Not to be confused with another of the same title by a guy named Rich. A true story from his perspective. Starts out about his childhood then getting drafted and sent to Viet Nam. I have it listed in the entertainment section. It's a really good book. I was amazed at the way he told his story. And he put in pic's that had never been seen by anyone by us. There's a chapter called, "The Mad Minute," that just blows me away. But then, I'm biased and blown away by it anyway...

Gaffer
02-10-2010, 10:54 PM
My hubby has. "Drafted", by William C. Stodgel. It's for sale on Amazon. Not to be confused with another of the same title by a guy named Rich. A true story from his perspective. Starts out about his childhood then getting drafted and sent to Viet Nam. I have it listed in the entertainment section. It's a really good book. I was amazed at the way he told his story. And he put in pic's that had never been seen by anyone by us. There's a chapter called, "The Mad Minute," that just blows me away. But then, I'm biased and blown away by it anyway...

I'm reading it now. Very entertaining. I'm about to start another chapter. Haven't got to mad minute yet but I'm familiar with what happens. I did many a mad minute over there myself.

DragonStryk72
02-10-2010, 11:02 PM
...Written a book?

Just curious.

I'm currently writing a Fantasy novel myself, actually. I have a little over 33,000 words written, and should been finished by the end of next month.

My dad has written a book, The Adventures of Soberman, by Pajo (He wanted to protect his anonymity in AA), and I would recommend it, it's a funny read.

Mr. P
02-10-2010, 11:37 PM

Did he self publish?

I'm currently writing a Fantasy novel myself, actually. I have a little over 33,000 words written, and should been finished by the end of next month.

My dad has written a book, The Adventures of Soberman, by Pajo (He wanted to protect his anonymity in AA), and I would recommend it, it's a funny read.

How about you, Dragon? Are you going to seek a publisher? Is this your first shot at a book?

Binky
02-11-2010, 02:38 PM
I'm reading it now. Very entertaining. I'm about to start another chapter. Haven't got to mad minute yet but I'm familiar with what happens. I did many a mad minute over there myself.

Glad you were able to get it Gaffer. I didn't know you had posted about it until I had already posted a comment telling about it. Wasn't reading other posts at the time....:lame2:

Binky
02-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Did he self publish?

How about you, Dragon? Are you going to seek a publisher? Is this your first shot at a book?

Outskirts Press published it. It has about 365 pages and I believe that includes the pix.....

Joyful HoneyBee
02-11-2010, 06:50 PM
I have ghost written two separate books, which, of course, I cannot disclose because it would breach my contract with the 'authors'.

Are you looking to self-publish a book Mr. P?

Mr. P
02-11-2010, 07:47 PM
I have ghost written two separate books, which, of course, I cannot disclose because it would breach my contract with the 'authors'.

Are you looking to self-publish a book Mr. P?

I need to write a book first..I was just wondering if anyone here had and the publishing problems they faced. If Harry Potter can be turned down 32 times it's a tough road. Self-publishing would smooth it a bit. I think.

Joyful HoneyBee
02-11-2010, 11:27 PM
I need to write a book first..I was just wondering if anyone here had and the publishing problems they faced. If Harry Potter can be turned down 32 times it's a tough road. Self-publishing would smooth it a bit. I think.

When you write it, if you need someone to format it into a real book, I can do that. I work in Quark, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, and can build a book out of whatever format you write it in. You wouldn't even have to worry about being consistent with text formatting as you go because I am able to fix all that in a few clicks. If you need an e-book set up...no problem. Just let me know if I can help.

Mr. P
02-12-2010, 12:24 AM
When you write it, if you need someone to format it into a real book, I can do that. I work in Quark, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, and can build a book out of whatever format you write it in. You wouldn't even have to worry about being consistent with text formatting as you go because I am able to fix all that in a few clicks. If you need an e-book set up...no problem. Just let me know if I can help.

Do you also edit?

And without telling titles..did the books you ghost wrote sell? Were they with a publisher or self-published? Who made that choice?

Joyful HoneyBee
02-12-2010, 12:43 AM
Yes, I do edit and I am a professional proofreader, too. I am a designer by trade, so it is all part of my job every day.

I did not follow up on the fate of the books I wrote, and I'm not sure what the owners were doing about publishing them. They were both in foreign countries. They gave me outlines of the material and met with me online to discuss details. I wrote copy, sent it back, received feedback, edited based on that, and eventually sent them the final files once and for all. They may have had them further edited after my commitment was met because there were limits on revisions specified in my contracts.

I've written copy for websites, and articles for others to publish online in their name(s), but, those were just blips, a single paragraph to a few paragraphs. It was pretty lucrative, and I should resume that side work, but I kind of like what I am doing on the weekends now a lot better than workaholism.
;-)

You should talk with Emmett. He knows a lot of stuff about publishing.

Mr. P
02-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Yes, I do edit and I am a professional proofreader, too. I am a designer by trade, so it is all part of my job every day.

I did not follow up on the fate of the books I wrote, and I'm not sure what the owners were doing about publishing them. They were both in foreign countries. They gave me outlines of the material and met with me online to discuss details. I wrote copy, sent it back, received feedback, edited based on that, and eventually sent them the final files once and for all. They may have had them further edited after my commitment was met because there were limits on revisions specified in my contracts.

I've written copy for websites, and articles for others to publish online in their name(s), but, those were just blips, a single paragraph to a few paragraphs. It was pretty lucrative, and I should resume that side work, but I kind of like what I am doing on the weekends now a lot better than workaholism.
;-)

You should talk with Emmett. He knows a lot of stuff about publishing.

Emmett will never answer his damn phone and his voice mail IS ALWAYS full. :laugh2: