PDA

View Full Version : Is an abortion a constitutional right?

manu1959
04-22-2007, 03:27 PM
yes or no and why?

Abbey Marie
04-22-2007, 03:36 PM
Can we have a "Hell, no!" choice? ;)

Mr. P
04-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Is an abortion a constitutional right?

By default of the Constitutional "Right to privacy" I have to say yes.

As the Supreme Court found in Roe V Wade.
The Supreme Court ruled against the Texas abortion law, and all abortion laws, as a violation of the right to privacy inherent in the Constitution.

manu1959
04-22-2007, 03:55 PM
By default of the Constitutional "Right to privacy" I have to say yes.

As the Supreme Court found in Roe V Wade.
The Supreme Court ruled against the Texas abortion law, and all abortion laws, as a violation of the right to privacy inherent in the Constitution.

yes that is the argument....what about the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for the child?

Abbey Marie
04-22-2007, 03:58 PM
Can someone show us where the right to privacy exists in the Constitution?

Mr. P
04-22-2007, 03:59 PM
yes that is the argument....what about the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for the child?

Applies to those born, I guess.

manu1959
04-22-2007, 04:01 PM
Applies to those born, I guess.

then why can't you abort the child up till the last moment and why when someone kills a pregnant mom they are charged with two murders.....seems "we" are cafeteria constitionalists with the right of the unborn....

Mr. P
04-22-2007, 04:05 PM
Can someone show us where the right to privacy exists in the Constitution?

It's not. But..

The Constitution does not specifically mention a right to privacy. However, Supreme Court decisions over the years have established that the right to privacy is a basic human right, and as such is protected by virtue of the 9th Amendment. The right to privacy has come to the public's attention via several controversial Supreme Court rulings, including several dealing with contraception (the Griswold and Eisenstadt cases), interracial marriage (the Loving case), and abortion (the well-known Roe v Wade case). In addition, it is said that a right to privacy is inherent in many of the amendments in the Bill of Rights, such as the 3rd, the 4th's search and seizure limits, and the 5th's self-incrimination limit.

Mr. P
04-22-2007, 04:08 PM
then why can't you abort the child up till the last moment and why when someone kills a pregnant mom they are charged with two murders.....seems "we" are cafeteria constitionalists with the right of the unborn....

I think it's because the court ruled the states could not make abortion illegal, but they could impose limits.

Missileman
04-22-2007, 05:36 PM
yes or no and why?

I don't think that abortion is a constitutional right. That doesn't automatically render it something illegal. As far as I know, there's no constitutional right to masturbate either.

As Mr.P said though, we have a right to non-interference by the government in private matters, including medical and reproductive choices. There has to be a line crossed before a fetus is given protection under the law. It is most certainly sometime before birth, but it is equally as certainly after sufficient development has occurred.

Pale Rider
04-22-2007, 06:20 PM
No. Show me in the constitution where it gives you the right to murder.

What's the difference between a young mother forcing a miscarriage and throwing her baby in the dumpster, or some clinic surgically carving it out of her, and throwing it in the dumbster? Yet the young mother gets in trouble if she does it. Why?

glockmail
04-22-2007, 07:59 PM
Murdering an innocent human life is never a Right.

gabosaurus
04-22-2007, 10:02 PM
If you are male, you do not have a vote. Men never have to deal with the threat of getting pregnant, pregnancy, childbirth or child rearing. It's all "fuch and run" to them, if they wish.
This is a female issue.

manu1959
04-22-2007, 10:05 PM
If you are male, you do not have a vote. Men never have to deal with the threat of getting pregnant, pregnancy, childbirth or child rearing. It's all "fuch and run" to them, if they wish.
This is a female issue.

did you get pregnant by yourself?

LiberalNation
04-22-2007, 10:09 PM
Well I think it's a human issue but it is the womans body and should be her personal choice. Is it a constitutional right, I don't know. Roe V wade was a big decision on the issue and found it was due to privacy rights of the woman and her doctor.

manu1959
04-22-2007, 10:30 PM
Well I think it's a human issue but it is the womans body and should be her personal choice. Is it a constitutional right, I don't know. Roe V wade was a big decision on the issue and found it was due to privacy rights of the woman and her doctor.

why does a woman get to choose to kill my child?

LiberalNation
04-22-2007, 10:32 PM
Because that child is not part of the world yet and is inside "her" body. She owns her body, you don't. Neither does the possible human growing inside her.

manu1959
04-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Because that child is not part of the world yet and is inside "her" body. She owns her body, you don't. Neither does the possible human growing inside her.

so if she decides to have it i can use this argument in reverse and wish you both luck.....but don't have to support you?

LiberalNation
04-22-2007, 10:36 PM
Nope, there is no privacy issues in the way now. The child is part of the world and carries both her and your genes. You have to half support it.

Kinda a double standard but then the woman do have to actually go through the pregnancy/labor part and men don't.

shattered
04-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Nope, there is no privacy issues in the way now. The child is part of the world and carries both her and your genes. You have to half support it.

Kinda a double standard but then the woman do have to actually go through the pregnancy/labor part and men don't.

Obviously, according to you, women don't "have" to go through shit; they can choose to terminate, regardless of the fathers wishes in the matter.. So what's with the double standard?

LiberalNation
04-22-2007, 10:42 PM
Woman have to give birth to children. What's with the double standard.

Somethings can't be made exactly equal. Just have to try.

manu1959
04-22-2007, 10:46 PM
Nope, there is no privacy issues in the way now. The child is part of the world and carries both her and your genes. You have to half support it. Kinda a double standard but then the woman do have to actually go through the pregnancy/labor part and men don't.

if it carries my genes why do only you get to kill it.....trust me hanging out with you all for nine months is no treat.....

shattered
04-22-2007, 10:48 PM
if it carries my genes why do only you get to kill it.....trust me hanging out with you all for nine months is no treat.....

What're you trying to say? :laugh2:

LiberalNation
04-22-2007, 10:52 PM
if it carries my genes why do only you get to kill it...
Because it's a part of her body and by default she has a right to her body and to make decisions concerning it. Sucks for you if you want the kid or don't want it and she does but that's the way it goes sometimes. I personally would be more interested in protecting my right to my own body then your right to my body if I happen to have potential child inside me happens to carry your genes.

I’d personally never have an abortion but I would prefer for it to be my choice anyway. Not societies or some guys.

.trust me hanging out with you all for nine months is no treat
:laugh2:

lily
04-22-2007, 10:54 PM
why does a woman get to choose to kill my child?

That's a nice sentiment and all, but the fact is most men don't feel this way. Those that do usually don't leave the woman to sit and make the decision all on her own.

manu1959
04-22-2007, 10:55 PM
That's a nice sentiment and all, but the fact is most men don't feel this way. Those that do usually don't leave the woman to sit and make the decision all on her own.

my girlfriend in college did and told me afterword......fired her shortly after that

Gunny
04-22-2007, 10:57 PM
Because it's a part of her body and by default she has a right to her body and to make decisions concerning it. Sucks for you if you want the kid or don't want it and she does but that's the way it goes sometimes. I personally would be more interested in protecting my right to my own body then your right to my body if I happen to have potential child inside me happens to carry your genes.

I’d personally never have an abortion but I would prefer for it to be my choice anyway. Not societies or some guys.

:laugh2:

And that is a double standard. If you choose to have that child, what choice does the guy have in paying for ti for 18 years minimum? None.

That being the case, the guy should either be allowed 50% of the decision, or he should be legally absolved of any responsibility for the child if the woman wants it and he is willing to pay for the abortion.

LiberalNation
04-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Well press your case to the powers that be then. Me, I agree it's a double standard but it's one I can accept. Of course there's always the option of not getting pregnant in the first place many a time but that'll never be the majority case.

Pale Rider
04-23-2007, 02:52 AM
That being the case, the guy should either be allowed 50% of the decision, or he should be legally absolved of any responsibility for the child if the woman wants it and he is willing to pay for the abortion.

It can't be said any better than that, regarding responsibility that is. However, abortion is still killing, and murder is not a constitutional right. I believe we're going to see Roe V. Wade over turned in the next five years.

glockmail
04-23-2007, 02:40 PM
This is a female issue.
Tell that to the guys paying child support.

Abbey Marie
04-23-2007, 02:46 PM
I am afraid that if guys are relieved of child support obligations, instead of having the effect of reducing pregnancies, it would just cause more abortions.

theHawk
04-23-2007, 03:09 PM
This is a female issue.

Do unborn children have the right to vote on the subject?

theHawk
04-23-2007, 03:11 PM
BTW, i voted no. Because its not in the constitution. Thus I believe it falls to the states. That being said, there either needs to be an Amendment to the Constitution regarding the subject, or Roe v Wade should be overturned and thus giving the power to the states to decide for themselves. I don't believe abortion will ever be 100% illegal in this country. I think in the end it most Americans believe it should not be used as a method of birth control, but should be allowed in cases of rape or when the mother's life is at risk.

darin
04-23-2007, 03:37 PM

Very well-said.

Women are the only citizens who have reproductive protection. It's the most nauseating double-standard in society today.

Missileman
04-24-2007, 02:35 PM
Very well-said.

Women are the only citizens who have reproductive protection. It's the most nauseating double-standard in society today.

You'll have to prove that if you get pregnant you'll be denied the right to have an abortion. :laugh2:

Hobbit
04-24-2007, 02:51 PM
You'll have to prove that if you get pregnant you'll be denied the right to have an abortion. :laugh2:

It's an equal protection thing. If a woman gets pregnant, whether or not the man gets the blessings of a child or is forced into the responsibility is entirely up to the woman.

If a woman gets pregnant and doesn't want to have to raise a child or shell out the cash to do so, or even if she just doesn't want to have to go through child birth, it doesn't matter if the father is willing to take on the entire responsibility, take sole custody, never get child support, or any of that crap. The woman gets the kid cut out of her and the daddy-to-be goes back to being childless.

On the other hand, if the dad clearly expresses his desire to never have children, but he gets a woman pregnant, she can decide that she really wants to have the child, and the father will have to pay child support for the next 20-something years. It's a clear violation of the equal protection clause.

Kathianne
04-24-2007, 06:31 PM
BTW, i voted no. Because its not in the constitution. Thus I believe it falls to the states. That being said, there either needs to be an Amendment to the Constitution regarding the subject, or Roe v Wade should be overturned and thus giving the power to the states to decide for themselves. I don't believe abortion will ever be 100% illegal in this country. I think in the end it most Americans believe it should not be used as a method of birth control, but should be allowed in cases of rape or when the mother's life is at risk.
Agreed with 100%. Leave it to the states. Roe v Wade was and is bad law, even the proponents know that.

Abbey Marie
04-24-2007, 11:47 PM
Agreed with 100%. Leave it to the states. Roe v Wade was and is bad law, even the proponents know that.

And Ms. "Roe" regrets it the most.

krisy
04-25-2007, 10:05 AM
This is a female issue.

This statement is absurd. Who are you really...Rosie O Donnell?

There was no official order given by men that women HAVE to be the ones to get pregnant and deliver a child. This is how we are made and there is nothing we can do about it. It is completely immoral and unfair to say a man has no say as to whether his child lives or not,....because God made it this way. That is a pitiful excuse for a woman being the only one to decide.

If you can,imagine what it would be like if it was the other way around. Would you stand for a man having an abortion and you having ABSOLUTELY no say in it? Think about what that must be like.

As for your statement about "fun and run"....please. I don't know if youve been hurt or something,but that is pretty out of line. My husband didn't have fun and run. Nor did millions of other men that are married and raising families,and working their rears off to do so.

lily
04-25-2007, 11:41 AM
This statement is absurd. Who are you really...Rosie O Donnell?

There was no official order given by men that women HAVE to be the ones to get pregnant and deliver a child. This is how we are made and there is nothing we can do about it. It is completely immoral and unfair to say a man has no say as to whether his child lives or not,....because God made it this way. That is a pitiful excuse for a woman being the only one to decide.

If you can,imagine what it would be like if it was the other way around. Would you stand for a man having an abortion and you having ABSOLUTELY no say in it? Think about what that must be like.

As for your statement about "fun and run"....please. I don't know if youve been hurt or something,but that is pretty out of line. My husband didn't have fun and run. Nor did millions of other men that are married and raising families,and working their rears off to do so.

Ok, let's look at this a different way. Lots of people say the man should have a say in the matter. I happen to agree, it takes both to make the baby. I also don't think the man's choice should be the final word though. They are not the one that have to go through the pregnancy or delivery, but as I said their input should be taken into consideration and they should be informed of what the woman decides to do.

I also think that we are in agreement that if the woman chooses to have the baby the man should have to pay child support. Although I can see down the line further and both parties getting married an not wanting to have anything to do with each other, but if the woman keeps taking those child support payments, then the father has a right to see the child.

With that said, if both parties agree that an abortion is the way to go, should the father of the child have to pay for half the abortion?