PDA

View Full Version : Where Were You????

sgtdmski
02-13-2010, 05:05 AM
It is hard to believe that in 9 short days it will be the 30th anniversary of the "Miracle On Ice". So where were you when it happened???

I was 11 years old, and living in Maryland, on Andrews AFB. I can still remember watching the game with my father. The game was on tape delay so that it would air in prime time. And I remember watching on ABC. Thanks to the Washington Capitals I had become a hockey fan, attending many games with my father thanks to his part-time job as a Mall Security Officer.

But that night I was glued to the television, wishing I could be in Lake Placid. This was the biggest game in the world at the time. In America, we were struggling, waiting in lines for gas, meanwhile, the Soviet Union had invade Afghanistan, the USSR was up, the USA was down.

Now, suddenly here it was the USA vs the USSR in Hockey in the Olympics. Just over a week before the USSR team humiliated the USA Hockey Team in Madison Square Garden, no one gave Team USA a chance.

Team USA was not even supposed to make it to the medal round, yet here they were, in the Semifinals against the greatest hockey team in the world the Soviet national team. Team USA had been together for less than a year, whereas the Soviet team had been together for over ten years and in that time had lost only 3 games and had 2 draws.

David versus Goliath in every sense of the meaning.

But somehow, Team USA had managed to survive the first two periods and enter the third trailing by a goal. Somehow, Team USA tied the game and then went ahead by 1, with over 10 minutes remaining.

My father and I were on the edge of our seats as we watched those final ten minutes. Glued to the television, screaming, cheering, and praying that somehow Team USA would find a way to win.

During the final commercial break, with a little over 3 minutes remaining, there was a news break on WJLA Channel 7. Renee Pouissant, broke the news, Team USA won the game 4 - 3. What a let down for us.

But remains is one of the greatest games ever. A team of amateurs, collegiates, some who would go to play in the NHL but many who were playing their final time.

God what a game. As Al Michaels counted the final seconds, and then he said it all, "Do you believe in Miracles????" YES!!!!!!

Unbelievable. No one thought it possible, but it happened.

Unfortunately, we may never see a game like this again. Today with professionals and dream teams, that thrill is forever lost. But for that one moment in time we will always have 1980.

Thank you, Herb Brooks and Team USA!!!

dmk