PDA

View Full Version : University of Al Shooting Story Gets Weirder(est) Yes, Indeed

Kathianne
02-14-2010, 06:26 AM
Weirder:

U. Of Alabama Shooting Suspect Also Shot Brother In Mass. - Boston News Story - WCVB Boston (http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/22557530/detail.html)

U. Of Alabama Shooting Suspect Also Shot Brother In Mass.

Amy Bishop Accused Of Killing 3, Wounding 3 Others

POSTED: 3:28 pm EST February 13, 2010
UPDATED: 9:31 pm EST February 13, 2010

Braintree Police Chief Paul Frazier said Amy Bishop was detained following the death of her brother on Dec. 6, 1986, then released without being charged because the death was ruled an accidental shooting.

Frazier said Amy Bishop shot her 18-year-old brother, Seth Bishop, in the chest with a 12-gauge shotgun at the family’s home in Braintree, then ran into the street and aimed the gun at a passing vehicle before fleeing from the scene. Amy Bishop, who was 20 at the time, was arrested at gunpoint by Braintree officers.

Bishop was never booked, however, and all local police records of the case have gone missing, with the exception of an entry in the police log noting an accidental shooting, Frazier said.

"The report's gone, removed from the files," he said. "Somebody has it. We don't."

The police chief said Saturday that he planned to meet with the local district attorney over the possibility of launching a criminal investigation into how the Bishop case was handled.

The Massachusetts State Police also filed a six-page report about the shooting, dated March 30, 1987, which was released by the Norfolk District Attorney's office on Saturday.

A story on the shooting in the Quincy Patriot Ledger newspaper quoted Bishop's mother, Judith Bishop, saying the gun accidentally went off into a bedroom wall when her daughter was trying to teach herself to use it in case the home was burglarized. Amy Bishop then asked her brother to help her unload the gun when it went off again, killing him in front of her, Judith Bishop told the newspaper...

Braintree officers who remember the 1986 shooting said that former police Chief John Polio dismissed detectives from the case and ordered the department to release Amy Bishop after a telephone conversation with former district attorney William Delahunt, who is currently a U.S. congressman from Massachusetts.

"The police officers here were very upset about that," said Frazier, who was a patrolman at the time and spoke to officers who remembered the incident that day, including one who filed a report on it.

When contacted Saturday, Polio, now 86, said that there was no cover up in Seth Bishop’s death, though there were questions about whether the shooting was an accident.

"I remember Judy Bishop and that she had two children and I know that they got into an argument one day and somehow a shot got involved, or a weapon of some kind, and it went off, according to them by accident. According to the mother and to the daughter, by the daughter," Polio said in a telephone interview with The Patriot Ledger.

I couldn't find a thread on the shooting, if I missed it, let me know.

Binky
02-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Actually, the whole thing sounds like there's some stinky poo here. Why such a quick release right after the cops talked to the former DA? Wonder what was up with that? And then to have all the papers up and disappear on the case makes it look that much more sinister. Something is amiss. Strange, to say the least.

Binky
02-14-2010, 01:23 PM
I've read a few different articles on the case and it seems I'm right. There's something stinky going on here. It's being called a coverup. The only thing I have found so far as to why, is because back in '86, the cops and DA, screwed up the case and then her case file came up missing and has been ever since.

Kathianne
02-14-2010, 03:08 PM
I've read a few different articles on the case and it seems I'm right. There's something stinky going on here. It's being called a coverup. The only thing I have found so far as to why, is because back in '86, the cops and DA, screwed up the case and then her case file came up missing and has been ever since.

Mother was involved in local politics, thus influential in state politics. Former DA went on to become Representative.

Kathianne
02-14-2010, 04:35 PM
And now this:

http://althouse.blogspot.com/2010/02/delahuntamy-bishop-connection.html

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 14, 2010

The Delahunt/Amy Bishop connection.

So the news comes out that the University of Alabama-Huntsville biology professor, charged with murdering 3 colleagues, shot her brother to death, back in 1986, and the District Attorney's office made the decision not to file charges. The District Attorney was William Delahunt, who has been a member of Congress since 1996.

said Bishop was being booked into jail when then-Chief Polio, or someone on his behalf, called and ordered the booking process stopped. Bishop was then released to her mother.

[B]Frazier said the records from the case have been missing since at least 1987. "I don't want to use the word 'cover-up,' but this does not look good," he said.

“I was not on duty at the time of the incident, but I recall how frustrated the members of the department were over the release of Ms. Bishop," Frazier said. "The release of Ms. Bishop did not sit well with the police officers and I can assure you that this would not happen in this day and age.”...

In an interview at his home Saturday, Polio, 87, told the Globe: "There was no cover-up."

And the next thing you know, Delahunt says he may not run for reelection. (http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2010/02/13/delahunt_says_he_is_considering_leaving_his_seat/)

Kathianne
02-14-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm thinking that this town has a massive lawsuit awaiting it:

http://www.riehlworldview.com/carnivorous_conservative/2010/02/former-chiefs-memory-doesnt-jibe-with-police-report.html

Former Chief's Memory Doesn't Jibe With Police Report (http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/us/14alabama1.pdf)

Assuming details of a newly released State Police report in an earlier shooting death involving Amy Bishop are accurate, the details still aren't adding up. There was absolutely no mention of horsing around of any kind in the March 1987 report. Bishop was said to be looking for assistance unloading the gun.

But Mr. Polio, 87, reached at home on Saturday, called even the suggestion of a cover-up laughable and said that the case had been handled lawfully. He said he remembered there being a shooting and recalled that Dr. Bishop and her brother had been “horsing around.”

One would also have to believe that, after the gun first going off in her bedroom, fearing it was still loaded, Amy Bishop then carried the gun downstairs and accidentally pointed it at her brother Seth's chest. And then it went off a third time, hitting the ceiling as she fled the home?

3 people dead, 2 critical, 1 shot and released.

Gaffer
02-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Curiouser and curiouser.

Binky
02-14-2010, 06:23 PM
Mother was involved in local politics, thus influential in state politics. Former DA went on to become Representative.

Didn't know the mother was in local pol. I do know the former DA moved into a reps job tho'. And both those give me reasons as to why the papers have been missing for 20 odd years....

Yep, I've read that one as well....Looks more like what I suspected. People involved didn't and still don't want it out in the open.... Now it will prob'ly all come to light soon enough....

Kathianne
02-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Didn't know the mother was in local pol. I do know the former DA moved into a reps job tho'. And both those give me reasons as to why the papers have been missing for 20 odd years....

I feel sorry for the town, especially if self-insured as are many municipalities. They are in for several big lawsuits.

Binky
02-14-2010, 06:36 PM
I feel sorry for the town, especially if self-insured as are many municipalities. They are in for several big lawsuits.

Yep they sure are. And of course Polio would laugh and say there had been no coverup...He was the then Chief of Police.

I wonder if they'll ever find the case file. And what all does it say in there? Sure gives one something to think about.

Gaffer
02-14-2010, 07:04 PM
The mother was involved in politics and probably boffing the DA on the side. She called him and said "fix it". He did. If it all airs to the public another democrat seat will be lost for sure.

Kathianne
02-14-2010, 07:05 PM
The mother was involved in politics and probably boffing the DA on the side. She called him and said "fix it". He did. If it all airs to the public another democrat seat will be lost for sure.

It looks like he's going to decide not to run. I think I posted that earlier?

Gaffer
02-14-2010, 07:17 PM
It looks like he's going to decide not to run. I think I posted that earlier?

Yeah you did. But a scandal would help the GOP in that district. And this has all the makings of a big one.

Kathianne
02-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Yeah you did. But a scandal would help the GOP in that district. And this has all the makings of a big one.

That is too true. I will say though that the east coast is looking more and more to be leaning conservative. I'll admit to being surprised on one level, though should have figured given the turn out at town halls and tea parties.

Binky
02-14-2010, 07:27 PM
You know, since Scott Brown won, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if we see a lot more blinding taking place in the upcoming election and beyond... Nice to shake them up a bit. Good way to let the politicians know that we're tired of their bullpucky and are going to toss them out first chance we get.

I bet Ted K. has been tossing around in his grave.

Gaffer
02-14-2010, 07:38 PM
That is too true. I will say though that the east coast is looking more and more to be leaning conservative. I'll admit to being surprised on one level, though should have figured given the turn out at town halls and tea parties.

I like the way the east coast is going. I might actually develop some respect for the east coast eventually. Now if only chicago would go the same way.

Kathianne
02-14-2010, 07:42 PM
I like the way the east coast is going. I might actually develop some respect for the east coast eventually. Now if only chicago would go the same way.

Yeah. Unlikely I'd say. :cry:

Kathianne
02-14-2010, 07:49 PM
What's weirder than weirdest?

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/02/ala_slay_suspec.html

Alleged Ala. killer was suspect in attempted bombing of Harvard professor
February 14, 2010 06:48 PM
By Shelley Murphy, Donovan Slack, and Meghan Irons, Globe Staff

The professor who is accused of killing three colleagues at the University of Alabama on Friday was a suspect in the attempted mail bombing of a Harvard Medical School professor in 1993, a law enforcement official said today.

Amy Bishop and her husband, James Anderson, were questioned after a package containing two bombs was sent to the Newton home of Dr. Paul Rosenberg, a professor and doctor at Boston's Children's Hospital...

A law enforcement official said today that the investigation by the US Postal Service and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms focused on Bishop, a Harvard postdoctoral fellow who was working in the human biochemstry lab at Children's Hospital at the time, and her husband, Anderson.
Bishop surfaced as a suspect because she was allegedly concerned that she was going to receive a negative evaluation from Rosenberg on her doctorate work, the official said. The official said investigators believed she had a motive to target Rosenberg and were concerned that she had a history of violence, given that she had shot her brother to death in 1986.

Investigators conducted a search of the home where Bishop and Anderson were living and questioned the couple, the official said. Anderson was questioned about whether he had purchased any of the components used to make the bombs, the official said.

During a search of Bishop's computer, authorities found a draft of a novel that Bishop was writing about a female scientist who had killed her brother and was hoping to make amends by becoming a great scientist, according to a person who was briefed on the investigation and spoke to the Globe on the condition of anonymity....

Good grief!

Gaffer
02-14-2010, 08:05 PM
What's weirder than weirdest?

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/02/ala_slay_suspec.html

Good grief!

This is starting to become comical. BUZZ... any red flags out there? I wonder if she's a major Dexter fan as well.

Kathianne
02-14-2010, 08:10 PM
This is starting to become comical. BUZZ... any red flags out there? I wonder if she's a major Dexter fan as well.

Well I just had to change the title, no? I'm sort of in shock. :eek:

Gaffer
02-14-2010, 08:13 PM
Well I just had to change the title, no? I'm sort of in shock. :eek:

No wonder that guy is not running for congress again. He see the shit hitting the fan and he's bailing.