PDA

View Full Version : White House: Stimulus Had 'Undeniable' Impact on Economy

Joyful HoneyBee
02-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Based on the numbers, the jobs saved would be worth almost 400,000 each....undeniable or unbelievable?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/02/17/romer-suggests-best-stimulus-come-predicting-little-growth/?test=latestnews

The White House stood its ground Wednesday on the impact of the economic stimulus package, arguing that the bill signed a year ago has given an "undeniable" boost to the economy and that Republican critics are just playing politics.

On the one-year anniversary of the bill's signing, President Obama said the $787 billion package saved 2 million jobs and helped prevent a "second depression." White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said that while many Americans have soured to the program, the bill is working and taxpayers will "absolutely" have a different outlook once it has had its full effect.

Administration officials fanned out Wednesday to build the argument that the reason unemployment is still at 9.7 percent on the stimulus anniversary is because the jobs-building aspect of the program hasn't yet come into full force.

Though the bill was originally pitched as a way to hold down unemployment, top officials now say the first year was meant to grow the overall economy while giving immediate relief to states and taxpayers. They attributed growth in the U.S. economy in the latter half of 2009 to the stimulus but said infrastructure spending in the coming year should help complement that growth with more jobs.

"We are not going to have job growth in our economy unless or until we have positive economic growth," Gibbs said, calling the stimulus' impact on growing the GDP last year "undeniable." "So this ... was not a full cure for what ailed our economy. It is a way of putting people back to work, creating positive economic growth, and importantly, laying that foundation for long-term investments in jobs."
Vice President Biden, in an interview with CBS' "The Early Show," said the stimulus -- about one-third of which has been paid out -- was designed in "two stages."

"We've only been halfway through the act," he said. "The job-creating portions are really loaded at the second half here and the major projects that are going to be being built."

He said taxpayers have "gotten their money's worth."

Republicans were not so optimistic. Republican National Committee Chairman called the claim that the bill has saved or created 2 million jobs "fiction" and said the administration was not focusing enough on the private sector.

"This administration fundamentally doesn't understand that and the American people know it and they're responding in kind," Steele told Fox News.

A recent CBS News/New York Times survey showed only 6 percent of Americans believe the stimulus has created a significant number of jobs.

But White House economic adviser Christina Romer suggested that the best of the stimulus is yet to come.

Asked Wednesday on ABC's "Good Morning America" whether the "biggest bang" from the package has already been felt, Romer responded: "Absolutely not."

She said more jobs creation is on the way.

"Certainly in terms of the level of the things we care about, like employment and the unemployment rate, those effects are going to grow over time," she said.

That appeared to be a turnaround from her testimony before Congress last October.

At the time, Romer told the Joint Economic Committee that the recovery package would have its "greatest impact on growth" in the second and third quarters of 2009. By mid-2010, she said, the bill would be "contributing little" to growth.

But back then, Romer and other White House officials were hard at work managing expectations as unemployment was climbing. Romer was also talking about GDP growth in that section of the testimony.

red states rule
02-17-2010, 11:25 PM
Despite it's obvious failure, Obama's PR staff in the liberal media re reporting the lie as fact

ABC, CBS and NBC Verdict: Obama's 'Stimulus' a Success, CBS Frets Public Refuses to See It

On the one-year anniversary of the Obama administration's “stimulus” spending bill, ABC, CBS and NBC all eagerly corroborated the White House's claims about how it “saved or created” many jobs and staved off economic disaster, though they all offered a range of numbers and definitions (ABC: “800,000 to 2.4 million new jobs,” CBS: “about 1.8 million” jobs “saved or created” and NBC: “1.6 to 1.8 million jobs have been created so far.”)

ABC and CBS touted anecdotes about companies and government agencies which asserted the spending had prevented layoffs or allowed them to hire new staff. ABC's Jake Tapper cited buses for Santa Monica, construction jobs in Baltimore, “63,000 green jobs” (with a solar panel-maker's CEO declaring “it is working and we're proof of that”) and a school system superintendent who told Tapper the funding “ helped save 61 jobs and create 73 new ones.”

On CBS, Chip Reid began with how “this highway paving equipment company in California canceled plans to lay off 40 workers because of demand created by stimulus projects,” before trumpeting how “in Washington, D.C. about 20 people are working on this road project” where “manager Matthew Johns calls the stimulus a lifesaver.”

Though “many independent economists put the number of jobs saved or created at about 1.8 million,” Reid relayed that “to the great frustration of the White House, most Americans simply refuse to believe it. In a recent CBS News/New York Times poll, a mere 6 percent said the stimulus has created jobs.” Reid's culprit: “That skepticism due in part to a relentless campaign by Republicans who say the stimulus is a bloated, big-government failure.” (The online “Political Hotsheet” echoed Reid's theme: “On Stimulus, Perception Doesn't Match Reality.”)

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brent-baker/2010/02/17/abc-cbs-and-nbc-verdict-obamas-stimulus-success-cbs-frets-public-refuse#ixzz0frHJxyx2

CSM
02-18-2010, 06:46 AM
Despite it's obvious failure, Obama's PR staff in the liberal media re reporting the lie as fact

The media just keeps quoting itself as proof. In the old days, we called that a "circle jerk". Now, to be politically correct, we call it a "self licking ice cream cone".

Kathianne
02-18-2010, 06:56 AM

Now, now, I heard just yesterday over 2.3 million jobs were 'saved or created,' it was from Gibbs, so it must be fact.

Sometimes we are so cynical. :laugh2:

CSM
02-18-2010, 07:06 AM
Just wait until we have to pay for this stimulus and then you will have to admit the package had an impact on the economy! The impact is indeed undeniable!

Kathianne
02-18-2010, 07:21 AM
Just wait until we have to pay for this stimulus and then you will have to admit the package had an impact on the economy! The impact is indeed undeniable!

Now THAT I agree with.

Jeff
02-18-2010, 08:34 AM
The media just keeps quoting itself as proof. In the old days, we called that a "circle jerk". Now, to be politically correct, we call it a "self licking ice cream cone".

But it will go down in history that it was Gw's fault :laugh2: just ask any lib

CSM
02-18-2010, 08:36 AM

That is most likely the case; especially since no one will remember Obama; his name will only come up when someone mentions Carter.

red states rule
02-18-2010, 08:37 AM

Remember during the Bush years how Dems whined about the "jobless recovery"?

I am not hearing that phrase from any Dem these days

Jeff
02-18-2010, 08:38 AM
That is most likely the case; especially since no one will remember Obama; his name will only come up when someone mentions Carter.

I agree, when someone says Jimmy Carter use to be the worst President we ever had you will then hear the name Obama :laugh2:

CSM
02-18-2010, 08:41 AM
Remember during the Bush years how Dems whined about the "jobless recovery"?

I am not hearing that phrase from any Dem these days

Of course yo wont hear any more whining from Dems about a jobless recovery .. they have "fixed" that problem.

red states rule
02-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Of course yo wont hear any more whining from Dems about a jobless recovery .. they have "fixed" that problem.

Dems do not want to messiah with Obama

crin63
02-18-2010, 08:54 AM
If it's GW's fault when its bad doesn't that mean it's also GW's fault when its good.

red states rule
02-18-2010, 09:37 AM
More on what the stimulus money went for

1) Green golf carts. Ever rode a "neighborhood electric vehicle?" Well, you might want to now. The stimulus includes a tax credit toward the purchase of NEVs, which closely resemble golf carts in appearance. They are considered green vehicles because they use an electric battery instead of gasoline. You fill it up with juice by plugging it into a home electrical outlet. Don't expect to be able to take your NEV far outside of your neighborhood, though. Federal regulations limit their top speed to between 20 and 25 miles per hour. Freeway cruising is out.

Those aren't the only green vehicles getting stimulus subsidies. There is also $300 million to buy "green" cars for federal employees.

2) Closing the ice-breaking gap. The U.S. Coast Guard is getting a shot in the arm from the stimulus, thanks to $98 million for a "polar icebreaker." That's not a new gum flavor, but a ship. The service currently has three ice-breaking ships able to sail through the frozen Arctic Ocean, but it wants a new and improved one to upgrade the aging fleet. Thad Allen, commandant of the Coast Guard, testified before a House panel last summer that icebreakers are needed for national security
reasons. "Russia, Germany, China, Sweden and Canada are all investing and maintaining and expanding their national ice-breaking capacity," he said.

3) Homeland security stimulus. That pricey icebreaker is just one of several examples of homeland and national security spending contained in the stimulus not directly connected to restoration of the economy. There is also $200 million to "design and furnish" the Department of Homeland Security headquarters. De Rugy says that security spending should be considered by Congress in bills related to security, not the economy. "There was no debating these things on the merits," she says.

4) Clean Coal. While Obama has stressed the number of "green jobs" his stimulus will create, $3.4 billion of the $787 billion will be spent on old-school, non-green energy technology. That's how much goes to the Fossil Energy Research and Development program, a Department of Energy project that, among other things, seeks to reduce the amount of carbon emitted by the use of fossil fuels. Daniel Weiss, a senior fellow and director of climate strategy at the Center for American Progress, says that most of this money will go toward the development of clean-coal technology. "The goal is to develop a technology that can capture carbon dioxide from coal in a coal-fired power plant," he says. And where's the stimulus in clean coal? Weiss says that we won't see the results of this investment anytime soon, and $3.4 billion is probably only a fraction of what is needed for real clean-coal technology to ever be achieved. But, he adds, in the short term, "this would create research jobs and jobs at power plants." That isn't stopping critics from calling this fossil energy provision pork.

http://www.usnews.com/money/business-economy/articles/2009/02/19/finding-the-pork-in-the-obama-stimulus-bill.html

DragonStryk72
02-18-2010, 09:56 AM
2) Closing the ice-breaking gap. The U.S. Coast Guard is getting a shot in the arm from the stimulus, thanks to $98 million for a "polar icebreaker." That's not a new gum flavor, but a ship. The service currently has three ice-breaking ships able to sail through the frozen Arctic Ocean, but it wants a new and improved one to upgrade the aging fleet. Thad Allen, commandant of the Coast Guard, testified before a House panel last summer that icebreakers are needed for national security
reasons. "Russia, Germany, China, Sweden and Canada are all investing and maintaining and expanding their national ice-breaking capacity," he said.

Okay, this one is totally fine with me. The Coast Guard does need the new ship, as they tend to be the redheaded stepchild of the Armed Forces, so on point that it has an obvious use, I can get behind it.

But I am in 100% in agreement with the title of this thread, Obama has had an undeniable impact on the economy..... just not a good one.

Kathianne
02-18-2010, 09:58 AM
Okay, this one is totally fine with me. The Coast Guard does need the new ship, as they tend to be the redheaded stepchild of the Armed Forces, so on point that it has an obvious use, I can get behind it.

But I am in 100% in agreement with the title of this thread, Obama has had an undeniable impact on the economy..... just not a good one.

I think I've run out of people to rep!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DragonStryk72 again.

red states rule
02-18-2010, 10:03 AM
I think I've run out of people to rep!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DragonStryk72 again.

Took care of it for you!

Kathianne
02-18-2010, 10:16 AM
Took care of it for you!

:thumb:

krisy
02-19-2010, 08:20 PM
I think the Obama administration believes that if they keep telling us that these things happened,sooner or later we will believe it. Meanwhile tax dollars are being burned and average Americans are being told to "tighten their belts". That one really got me....how dare he tell us to tighten out belts while they spend. A lot of people can't even get a meal on the table right now. :slap:

Missileman
02-19-2010, 08:50 PM
More on what the stimulus money went for

Actually...millions were blown buying golf carts. The only stipulation needed to make them "road-worthy" was mirrors and seatbelts.

Missileman
02-19-2010, 08:52 PM
I think the Obama administration believes that if they keep telling us that these things happened,sooner or later we will believe it. Meanwhile tax dollars are being burned and average Americans are being told to "tighten their belts". That one really got me....how dare he tell us to tighten out belts while they spend. A lot of people can't even get a meal on the table right now. :slap:

Not just keep spending, but increase spending exponentially. It's getting close to the point where there'll be squadrons of Cessna's flying to DC.