PDA

View Full Version : wireless camera security

chloe
02-19-2010, 02:00 AM
SALT LAKE CITY -- There are things in life we need to keep a close eye on: our businesses, homes and families. But if you rely on a wireless camera system to provide an extra level of security, you might instead be opening yourself up to more crime.

A KSL 5 News investigation reveals a shocking twist that comes with some of these affordable and easy-to-install wireless camera systems.
"It was kind of scary to know that anyone could see what is going on," mother Erica Patten said when KSL showed her the image being transmitted by her video baby monitor.
"Especially in your child's room?" reporter Lori Prichard added.
http://www.ksl.com/emedia/slc/1793/179398/17939840.jpg?filter=ksl/img200 (http://www.ksl.com/emedia/slc/1793/179398/17939840.jpg) KSL's Lori Prichard and father Chris Patten

"Right," Patten said.

Wireless spying
Spying on people's wireless camera signals is relatively easy.
As security consultant Shane Larsen explained, "With a simple device, maybe $100 to $200 at the most, you can go around town and look at people's wireless cameras, and they have no idea that you're doing it."
By using two devices -- a simple receiver bought off the internet for $49.95 and a more sophisticated "wireless camera hunter" that sells for about $450 -- KSL was able to look inside homes and businesses throughout the valley. The "hunter" device beeped periodically to indicate the presence of a video signal.

Before looking at any images, KSL got permission to lock onto the signal and take a peek. That required knocking on doors to inquire if the home or business owners had a wireless camera running and if they might allow KSL try hacking into it.

"Oh, that's your cash register," observed Prichard to restaurant owner Yaser Nisar.
"Yeah it is," said Nisar. "Yep, oh wow!"
"A little disturbing?" asked Prichard.
"Yeah, it's kind of scary that people can see that."
"That is your house," said Prichard to father Chris Patten, as the two watched his daughter play in her bedroom while standing outside the house.

"Yeah, I don't like that very much," he replied.
"That's my jewelry display," said another store owner. "That's that camera. Maybe I should unplug it."
"Unplug it," said Prichard.
"Holy cow."
All the cameras KSL tapped into were wireless, transmitting unencrypted analog signals on public frequencies that anyone can intercept.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9736759

Jeff
02-19-2010, 08:02 AM
SALT LAKE CITY -- There are things in life we need to keep a close eye on: our businesses, homes and families. But if you rely on a wireless camera system to provide an extra level of security, you might instead be opening yourself up to more crime.

A KSL 5 News investigation reveals a shocking twist that comes with some of these affordable and easy-to-install wireless camera systems.
"It was kind of scary to know that anyone could see what is going on," mother Erica Patten said when KSL showed her the image being transmitted by her video baby monitor.
"Especially in your child's room?" reporter Lori Prichard added.
http://www.ksl.com/emedia/slc/1793/179398/17939840.jpg?filter=ksl/img200 (http://www.ksl.com/emedia/slc/1793/179398/17939840.jpg) KSL's Lori Prichard and father Chris Patten

"Right," Patten said.

Wireless spying
Spying on people's wireless camera signals is relatively easy.
As security consultant Shane Larsen explained, "With a simple device, maybe $100 to $200 at the most, you can go around town and look at people's wireless cameras, and they have no idea that you're doing it."
By using two devices -- a simple receiver bought off the internet for $49.95 and a more sophisticated "wireless camera hunter" that sells for about $450 -- KSL was able to look inside homes and businesses throughout the valley. The "hunter" device beeped periodically to indicate the presence of a video signal.

Before looking at any images, KSL got permission to lock onto the signal and take a peek. That required knocking on doors to inquire if the home or business owners had a wireless camera running and if they might allow KSL try hacking into it.

"Oh, that's your cash register," observed Prichard to restaurant owner Yaser Nisar.
"Yeah it is," said Nisar. "Yep, oh wow!"
"A little disturbing?" asked Prichard.
"Yeah, it's kind of scary that people can see that."
"That is your house," said Prichard to father Chris Patten, as the two watched his daughter play in her bedroom while standing outside the house.

"Yeah, I don't like that very much," he replied.
"That's my jewelry display," said another store owner. "That's that camera. Maybe I should unplug it."
"Unplug it," said Prichard.
"Holy cow."
All the cameras KSL tapped into were wireless, transmitting unencrypted analog signals on public frequencies that anyone can intercept.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9736759

So much for security :laugh2: Guess this really isn't a laughing matter, I have a buddy that has camera's on his land watching his house the Driveway in, a real Scarface operation, all cause his son in law said he had a adjustable wrench stolen :laugh2: Me I just leave a couple big dogs run the property and haven't had one problem:cool:

chloe
02-19-2010, 09:22 AM
So much for security :laugh2: Guess this really isn't a laughing matter, I have a buddy that has camera's on his land watching his house the Driveway in, a real Scarface operation, all cause his son in law said he had a adjustable wrench stolen :laugh2: Me I just leave a couple big dogs run the property and haven't had one problem:cool:

well now you can tell him you and the wife enjoyed the show he put on when you spied on him for your valentines day outing with your radio shack device.:laugh2:

Jeff
02-19-2010, 09:29 AM
well now you can tell him you and the wife enjoyed the show he put on when you spied on him for your valentines day outing with your radio shack device.:laugh2:

Naaa if ya saw him or his wife ya would understand :laugh2:

chloe
02-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Naaa if ya saw him or his wife ya would understand :laugh2:

I'm a voyeur so nice news information....:beer:

Monkeybone
02-19-2010, 10:32 AM
gee I figured it out already... don't be wireless. duhhhh. Yah it might cost you for the cables to run... but oh well. To get somewhere you gotta give a little sometimes.