PDA

View Full Version : Md. lawmaker: Ban first-cousin marriages as unsafe

chloe
02-19-2010, 02:05 AM
ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) - A Maryland state legislator says it's time to ban marriages between first cousins and stop playing what he calls "genetic roulette" with their offspring.
Henry Heller, a Democratic delegate, or state representative, says he wants to bring Maryland "into the enlightened world of other states such as West Virginia and Arkansas" that already prohibit unions of first cousins.

Heller is a retired special education administrator. He says couples who are first cousins are at an increased risk of having a child with birth defects.
The bill would make an exception for people who are over age 65 or infertile. Heller says he has "no problem" with those couples if they want the companionship.

There are 24 states that prohibit marriage between first-cousins

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=711&sid=9729289

http://mlis.state.md.us/2010rs/billfile/hb1021.htm

Jeff
02-19-2010, 08:13 AM
ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) - A Maryland state legislator says it's time to ban marriages between first cousins and stop playing what he calls "genetic roulette" with their offspring.
Henry Heller, a Democratic delegate, or state representative, says he wants to bring Maryland "into the enlightened world of other states such as West Virginia and Arkansas" that already prohibit unions of first cousins.

Heller is a retired special education administrator. He says couples who are first cousins are at an increased risk of having a child with birth defects.
The bill would make an exception for people who are over age 65 or infertile. Heller says he has "no problem" with those couples if they want the companionship.

Damn I thought that was only legal in Bama the inbreed state :laugh2:

darin
02-19-2010, 10:01 AM
One can apply the same arguments for Gay Marriage to First Cousin Marriage. When will we see the parades, and crying, and what-not for the "rights" of First cousin to marry?

chloe
02-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Damn I thought that was only legal in Bama the inbreed state :laugh2:

I think the Roosevelts were cousins too right>? Yuck !

glockmail
02-19-2010, 10:05 AM
I think the Roosevelts were cousins too right>? Yuck ! Lots of ultra-rich are inbred. No one else is good enough, plus they live in relative isolation from the rest of the world.

chloe
02-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Lots of ultra-rich are inbred. No one else is good enough, plus they live in relative isolation from the rest of the world.

Yeah there are alot of people who are genetically sexually attracted there is a whole website messageboard about it. People are weird.

chloe
02-19-2010, 10:08 AM
One can apply the same arguments for Gay Marriage to First Cousin Marriage. When will we see the parades, and crying, and what-not for the "rights" of First cousin to marry?

But 1st cousins have deformed children, and gay people can't procreate. Its not really the same thing.

Monkeybone
02-19-2010, 10:18 AM
the sad thing is that they have to make a law against it....

chloe
02-19-2010, 10:21 AM
the sad thing is that they have to make a law against it....

yeah it's weird that is legal in some states.

glockmail
02-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Yeah there are alot of people who are genetically sexually attracted there is a whole website messageboard about it. People are weird. I guess. My grandmother's sister's daughter lived the next town over and they had three girls (does that make them first or second cousins?), and the one my age was absolutely stunning. I tried not to think about it.

This girl was so damn pretty that my friends would beg me to introduce them. One kid from my high school, kind of odd and socially inept, was totally consumed by her. These days they'd call him a stalker. He used to park his car in front of her house. Her Dad eventually confronted him and threatened him with legal action.

chloe
02-19-2010, 10:41 AM
I guess. My grandmother's sister's daughter lived the next town over and they had three girls (does that make them first or second cousins?), and the one my age was absolutely stunning. I tried not to think about it.

This girl was so damn pretty that my friends would beg me to introduce them. One kid from my high school, kind of odd and socially inept, was totally consumed by her. These days they'd call him a stalker. He used to park his car in front of her house. Her Dad eventually confronted him and threatened him with legal action.

yeah my sister had a crush on our cousins too. But I chucked it up that she's a whore instead of that they are handsome.:laugh2:

glockmail
02-19-2010, 10:41 AM
But 1st cousins have deformed children, and gay people can't procreate. Its not really the same thing. Nah. We can test the fetus and if its a retard suck its brains out and toss it in with medical waste. Liberalism make first cousin, or heck, sibling, marriage exactly on par with queer marriage.

chloe
02-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Nah. We can test the fetus and if its a retard suck its brains out and toss it in with medical waste. Liberalism make first cousin, or heck, sibling, marriage exactly on par with queer marriage.

I don't believe in abortion. But I still don't understand how gay marriage is the same as incest?

glockmail
02-19-2010, 10:45 AM
yeah my sister had a crush on our cousins too. But I chucked it up that she's a whore instead of that they are handsome.:laugh2: My mother called all the children of her friends "cousins". It was all very confusing along with the rest of life with four siblings. One of the girls really liked me, and I liked her too, but I was never too sure about the whole thing. :laugh2:

glockmail
02-19-2010, 10:45 AM
I don't believe in abortion. But I still don't understand how gay marriage is the same as incest?
As long as there is consent and you can abort a deformed baby, isn't it?

chloe
02-19-2010, 10:46 AM
My mother called all the children of her friends "cousins". It was all very confusing along with the rest of life with four siblings. One of the girls really liked me, and I liked her too, but I was never too sure about the whole thing. :laugh2:

You'd have probably got along well with my sister then.....:eek:

glockmail
02-19-2010, 11:03 AM
You'd have probably got along well with my sister then.....:eek: This girl and I never dated or anything like that but we would have if it hadn't been for that odd relationship. My mother actually encouraged me one time but I told her that I wasn't interested. She ended up turning gay and I always wonder if it had something to do with me. :cool:

chloe
02-19-2010, 11:04 AM
This girl and I never dated or anything like that but we would have if it hadn't been for that odd relationship. My mother actually encouraged me one time but I told her that I wasn't interested. She ended up turning gay and I always wonder if it had something to do with me. :cool:

You mean if she couldn't have you, she didn't want any man?:eek:

glockmail
02-19-2010, 11:16 AM
You mean if she couldn't have you, she didn't want any man?:eek: Not at all. She was what they used to call a "tom boy", very athletic and liked to do a lot of what I liked to do. She didn't bother with make-up or jewelry, which I really liked then and still do, and I found her attractive because she was independent, strong and healthy. I think that by not expressing that to her she may have thought that guys couldn't be attracted to her.

chloe
02-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Not at all. She was what they used to call a "tom boy", very athletic and liked to do a lot of what I liked to do. She didn't bother with make-up or jewelry, which I really liked then and still do, and I found her attractive because she was independent, strong and healthy. I think that by not expressing that to her she may have thought that guys couldn't be attracted to her.

oh, that could be true.

Monkeybone
02-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Not at all. She was what they used to call a "tom boy", very athletic and liked to do a lot of what I liked to do. She didn't bother with make-up or jewelry, which I really liked then and still do, and I found her attractive because she was independent, strong and healthy. I think that by not expressing that to her she may have thought that guys couldn't be attracted to her.

way to go Glock. just crush that poor girl and drive her into the hairy arms of another woman

darin
02-19-2010, 11:43 AM
But 1st cousins have deformed children, and gay people can't procreate. Its not really the same thing.

Marriage isn't about having kids - it's about two people who LOVE eachother, right? Doesn't matter if the outcomes of the 'union' are damaged. Kids raised by gay parents are emotionally/mentally f'd....

I'm saying if ppl who support homo marriage don't support 1st cousin marriage, they are hypocrites.

chloe
02-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Marriage isn't about having kids - it's about two people who LOVE eachother, right? Doesn't matter if the outcomes of the 'union' are damaged. Kids raised by gay parents are emotionally/mentally f'd....

I'm saying if ppl who support homo marriage don't support 1st cousin marriage, they are hypocrites.

oh but I think its ok if gay people gets married, but I think its wrong if you marry your blood relative. I guess then I am a hypocrite. But It doesn't make sense to me what you just said. I'm sure you will only respond sarcastically or angerily at me, and that is expected.

Mr. P
02-19-2010, 01:04 PM

Is that statement based on personal knowledge, belief, speculation or suspicion?

Abbey Marie
02-19-2010, 01:13 PM
oh but I think its ok if gay people gets married, but I think its wrong if you marry your blood relative. I guess then I am a hypocrite. But It doesn't make sense to me what you just said. I'm sure you will only respond sarcastically or angerily at me, and that is expected.

That's not his style with thoughtful posts.

darin
02-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Is that statement based on personal knowledge, belief, speculation or suspicion?

personal knowledge, belief, speculation, and common sense. Two folk so-very broken inside cannot raise a good kid; they raise kids based on their own selfishness...same as two crack addicts' attempts to raise a kid...or two 'insert other emotional/mental illness/addicts'.

Mr. P
02-19-2010, 02:22 PM
personal knowledge, belief, speculation, and common sense. Two folk so-very broken inside cannot raise a good kid; they raise kids based on their own selfishness...same as two crack addicts' attempts to raise a kid...or two 'insert other emotional/mental illness/addicts'.

Personal knowledge? So, you've seen these kids, in the end, F'd up?

You've followed along with them to maturity?

chloe
02-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Personal knowledge? So, you've seen these kids, in the end, F'd up?

You've followed along with them to maturity?

I don't think the kids grow up messed up, maybe they experience hatred from judgemental people in society but I bet their home and parents are loving.

Binky
02-19-2010, 06:44 PM
This girl and I never dated or anything like that but we would have if it hadn't been for that odd relationship. My mother actually encouraged me one time but I told her that I wasn't interested. She ended up turning gay and I always wonder if it had something to do with me. :cool:

Could be she thought you were a real hottie and if she couldn't have you, then she'd go for women instead....You did it to her....:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

chloe
02-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Could be she thought you were a real hottie and if she couldn't have you, then she'd go for women instead....You did it to her....:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

:laugh2:, now glock has to flagellate himself for it.

Trigg
02-19-2010, 10:19 PM

In all honestly women having children in their 40 probably pass on more genetic problems than first cousins.

Unless it's done generation after generation there probably is no increased risk of birth defects.

glockmail
02-22-2010, 08:25 AM

:laugh2:, now glock has to flagellate himself for it.

:lol: :lol:

Noir
02-22-2010, 09:59 AM
There has been a question on my mind for quiet some time, but never really saw a place to ask it, maybe this it is it.

Incest and interbreeding leads to poor health both mentally and physically, so how on earth did the human species survive for so long? I mean its only in the past few thousand years that we really collected together to make great citys and nations what went on for all the centuries that we lived in tribes and, i assume, inter-breeding was commonplace, shouldn't humans of wiped themselves out in a few generations in these tribes?

and also anyone to trys to equal gay marriage and incest is just being a fool, pure and simple.

glockmail
02-22-2010, 10:28 AM
There has been a question on my mind for quiet some time, but never really saw a place to ask it, maybe this it is it.

Incest and interbreeding leads to poor health both mentally and physically, so how on earth did the human species survive for so long? I mean its only in the past few thousand years that we really collected together to make great citys and nations what went on for all the centuries that we lived in tribes and, i assume, inter-breeding was commonplace, shouldn't humans of wiped themselves out in a few generations in these tribes?

and also anyone to trys to equal gay marriage and incest is just being a fool, pure and simple.

This explains why tribes who lived in isolation generally died out, and those that participated in discovery, trade and wars prospered.

Noir
02-22-2010, 10:30 AM
This explains why tribes who lived in isolation generally died out, and those that participated in discovery, trade and wars prospered.

Naw, but i mean back in the days of cavemen and such, when they could have gone for generation after generation and not seen another tribe.

glockmail
02-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Naw, but i mean back in the days of cavemen and such, when they could have gone for generation after generation and not seen another tribe.Again, those caveman tribes likely failed, where tribes that opted for discovery, trade and war prospered. *shrug*

HogTrash
02-22-2010, 10:52 AM
I don't believe in abortion. But I still don't understand how gay marriage is the same as incest?I agree...Not even incest is as sick and perverted as homosexuality.

Noir
02-22-2010, 11:36 AM
I agree...Not even incest is as sick and perverted as homosexuality.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Dude you're a weird one.

HogTrash
02-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Naw, but i mean back in the days of cavemen and such, when they could have gone for generation after generation and not seen another tribe.I believe the danger of birth defects become more likely with successive generational incest...Birth defects are not only more likely to occur with each generation but can also be more serious.

I personally don't agree with laws prohibiting incest as long as the parties involved assume total financial responsibility for the medical and educational requirements of any special needs children.

I don't believe anyone has the right to hold society responsible for the results of any irresponsible choices they knowingly entered into...I suppose that's the libertarian in me rareing it's ugly head.

HogTrash
02-22-2010, 11:42 AM
:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Dude you're a weird one.How so? :confused: :dunno:

Binky
02-22-2010, 11:50 AM
yeah my sister had a crush on our cousins too. But I chucked it up that she's a whore instead of that they are handsome.:laugh2:

Wow, Chloe, you surprise me with that. I don't think I've ever read anything you'd previously said about anyone calling them a name such as that....Not you..........You're sweet Chloe....and she is reserved and doesn't name call.....:laugh2::laugh2:

HogTrash
02-22-2010, 12:23 PM
:laugh2:, now glock has to flagellate himself for it.Did you just tell glock to go flagellate himself? :eek:

glockmail
02-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Did you just tell glock to go flagellate himself? :eek:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagellant

HogTrash
02-22-2010, 02:00 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FlagellantSo, in other words she wants you to go beat your meat!? :eek:

HogTrash
02-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Binky Hubba-Hubba! :boobies: I've had it bad for Betty Boop ever since I was a baby boy, Binky.

Badea-Badea-Badea, ba-that's all folks!

glockmail
02-22-2010, 02:43 PM
So, in other words she wants you to go beat your meat!? :eek: LOL She was referring to a discussion that we had about religion, and the practice of some Christians whipping themselves to experience Christ's torture prior to his crucifixion.

HogTrash
02-22-2010, 02:54 PM
LOL She was referring to a discussion that we had about religion, and the practice of some Christians whipping themselves to experience Christ's torture prior to his crucifixion.I confess glock...I had nothing sensible to add to the discussion so I resorted to being silly. :o

Trigg
02-22-2010, 03:33 PM

Look at European history and Egyptian for that matter. European Royalty routinely married cousins and passed on recessive genes that caused problems. But, there were enough non-relatives marrying in that they did just fine without major problems.

The Egyptian Royalty on the other hand tended to marry brothers and sisters to each other.

There recently was a story about King Tut's many deformities and I believe the dynasty ended with him.

I would say that even with isolated hunter gatherer societies there was enough mixing of people that the genetic problems didn't get severe. There were probably also taboo's against close marriages.

Binky
02-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Hubba-Hubba! :boobies: I've had it bad for Betty Boop ever since I was a baby boy, Binky.

Badea-Badea-Badea, ba-that's all folks!

:laugh2::laugh2: Oddly enough Hog, she has been my idol since I was a little girl. She was the first indep. woman.....(at least in the cartoons) and I have several clip arts of her and will change 'em out periodically.:coffee:

Binky
02-22-2010, 03:54 PM
I agree...Not even incest is as sick and perverted as homosexuality.

Well, way down yonder in deep hillbillie country, such as Tenn., incest has taken place many times over. Don't know that it still is, but it once was. You know the sort of people I'm referring to. Those with snaggily, rotted teeth, low IQ's, dirty and real hill people. Inbreeding went on a lot....

glockmail
02-22-2010, 04:08 PM
:laugh2::laugh2: Oddly enough Hog, she has been my idol since I was a little girl. She was the first indep. woman.....(at least in the cartoons) and I have several clip arts of her and will change 'em out periodically.:coffee:Personally I like Dagwood's Blondie much better.

Jeff
02-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Personally I like Dagwood's Blondie much better.

Damn I liked both of them, hmmm I am getting all turned on here :laugh2:

HogTrash
02-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Personally I like Dagwood's Blondie much better.Keep in mind, Blondie is a married woman and I can't think of anything more embarrassing that getting an ass-whoopin from Dagwood.

Trigg
02-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Well, way down yonder in deep hillbillie country, such as Tenn., incest has taken place many times over. Don't know that it still is, but it once was. You know the sort of people I'm referring to. Those with snuggly, rotted teeth, low Q's, dirty and real hill people. Inbreeding went on a lot....

stereotype much????

The problems with inbreeding around here involve the Amish. While they don't marry cousins they are so closely related that recessive genetic problems plague the community.

Snaggily rotten teeth will happen to anyone who never visits the dentist and isn't related to incest.

As I pointed out earlier. Women who have children in their 40's will pass on just as many if not more genetic problems than close marriages.

glockmail
02-22-2010, 07:02 PM
stereotype much????

The problems with inbreeding around here involve the Amish. While they don't marry cousins they are so closely related that recessive genetic problems plague the community.

Damn I missed an awesome career opportunity there. :eek:

chloe
02-22-2010, 08:03 PM
LOL She was referring to a discussion that we had about religion, and the practice of some Christians whipping themselves to experience Christ's torture prior to his crucifixion.

yeah thats what I was saying:cool:

chloe
02-22-2010, 08:04 PM
Wow, Chloe, you surprise me with that. I don't think I've ever read anything you'd previously said about anyone calling them a name such as that....Not you..........You're sweet Chloe....and she is reserved and doesn't name call.....:laugh2::laugh2:

sorry if that was offensive.