PDA

View Full Version : CPAC Highs and Lows

Kathianne
02-21-2010, 07:35 AM
I didn't catch as much as I'd hoped. While Glenn Beck is not my favorite, I caught most of his address and he hammered home most of the points that people are concerned about. I also liked that he talked about 'the opportunity to fail,' something missing from our lexicon for too long. It's out of many failures that success often is born. With risks, comes the possibility of either failure or success.

Equating the US spending under Bush and moreso under Obama with a drunk is probably the best analogy that I've heard. Will America reach bottom? Have we already? November will give a good indication.

Now the low point, picked up by reading. It is one thing to say that within any party extremists will be present, that in fact is a truism. What isn't is allowing them a place of prominence, taking their money and in return allowing them to 'sponsor.'

I couldn't back Ron Paul because of such back when, I can't see myself aligned with those that do.

This is serious if Conservatives really do care about the Constitution and wanting a better country:

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2010/02/025642.php

RETURN OF THE JOHN BIRCH SOCIETY?

February 20, 2010 Posted by Scott at 7:16 AM
In his history of National Review, former NR senior editor Jeffrey Hart notes one consequence of the 1964 election at the magazine. "The odor of the John Birch Society had been so strong and so intolerable, and so damaging to Goldwater," Hart recalls, "that National Review decided that for the future of American conservatism, decisive distance had to be laid down irrevocably between the magazine and the society."

That distance had originally been marked off in a 1962 editorial, "but that had not been enough. The distinction would now have to be made, once and for all, between a viable conservatism and the fantastic theories that energized the leadership of the JBS." Among the JBS's "fantastic theories" was the proposition that Dwight Eisenhower had been a Communist agent.

NR sought to separate the JBS from the conservative movement with a "root-and-branch attack" in October 1965. That month NR published a special section of the magazine denouncing the JBS in contributions by Buckley as well as NR senior editors James Burnham and Frank Meyer, along with endorsement letters by leading conservative figures including Goldwater himself. Hart describes the opening of the special section ("The Background") as "an act of war" that "takes no prisoners."

Bill Buckley provided his own account of related events in Flying High: Remembering Barry Goldwater, excerpted here by Commentary. The JBS responded in its inimitable style here.

The annual Conservative Political Action Conference is a great event attended by just about everybody who is anybody in the conservative movement. It also attracts a lot of college students who aspire to make a contribution to the movement.

ABC's Jonathan Karl reports that this year's CPAC event was co-sponsored, unbelievably to me, by the John Birch Society. Karl quotes some of Buckley's characteristically vibrant denunciations of the JBS. "Two years after Buckley's death," Karl observes, "the John Birch Society is no longer banished; it is listed as one of about 100 co-sponsors of the 2010 CPAC."

Karl reasonably asks: "Why is the Birch Society a co-sponsor?"

"They're a conservative organization," according to Lisa Depasquale, the CPAC Director for the American Conservative Union, which runs CPAC. "Beyond that," she told Karl, "I have no comment."

Additional comment is required, and if Depasquale will not provide it, I will. This is a disgrace.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2010/02/025642.php

02-21-2010, 06:11 PM
I saw Rubio's speech. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Ive been bush and havent caught Beck's speech yet though. Ill probably do that later tonight or tomorrow.

02-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Beck's speech was amazing. Oh what I wouldnt do to see more passionate people like him fighting for the Constitution.

Joyful HoneyBee
02-21-2010, 10:53 PM
I was fortunate enough to hear Glenn Beck and all of Dr. Ron Paul's speech.

Beck was indeed brilliant, appealing to not just conservatives, but moderates as well, especially since this group is bound to bear the greatest level of indignation over have their clocks cleaned so badly by liberals.

Ron Paul, however, was his regular consistent self. He has maintained the same stance on critical issues all along, never swayed by public opinion, by political pressure, by the whims and desires of lobbyists. No, Ron Paul has one objective in mind, and only one....looking out for the best interest of this country and its people.

I am shocked and appalled that people will give lip service to the exact same ideologies promoted by this great man, then turn around and reject him as a potential candidate for the presidency. People whine and moan about the massive size of our government, yet thumb their noses at the singular candidate who TRULY intends to reduce the size and power of the federal government. People bellyache about the economic conditions of our times, but fail to recognize the only politician who has been trying for decades to bring government spending under control. Every ideology that Ron Paul endorses is in line with what so-called conservatives espouse, yet, people say he is not electable.

Well, I am convinced that what some people want to see is the swing of the pendulum, back and forth, so that the dems can gripe and moan about the republicans when they hold the majority and visa versa when the roles are reversed. If people wanted for things to really be set right they would vote for the candidate who would honestly work to make them right; they would vote for the candidate who is most determined to uphold the constitution; but, no, I'm not seeing that at all. If Ron Paul had been elected over a decade ago, I don't believe we would be in the mess we're in now.

But, I guess people want to have an endless supply of useless cash because our federal reserve system keeps pumping out money with nothing to back it up. Apparently people want to continue to be taxed to the roots of their teeth to pay for big banks and big businesses to be bailed out while their executives enjoy lavish bonuses. Clearly, people don't really concern themselves with the future of their children, or they would be backing the one individual who as, and I know I am repeating myself, the one and only individual who has consistently been right about the consequences we would suffer as we continued a path of blind self destruction. Sadly, we deserve what we have at this moment in time because too many people are too stupid to know when the best deal around is available in a slender, humble man with a warm smile and the most brilliant mind in the world.

Dr. Ron Paul received 31% of the straw poll vote, which is huge considering how many were on the list. :dance: I was so happy to see it that I could hardly contain myself. I, for one, intend to get the message out that there IS hope for the United States to recover from these past few decades of degradation and the name of the opportunity is RON PAUL. :salute: