PDA

View Full Version : Teacher Emphasizes Old-Fashioned Etiquette

DragonStryk72
02-21-2010, 03:13 PM
(Feb. 21) – In addition to the three R's, boys at one Arizona public high school have spent the past year learning to open doors for girls, pull out chairs for their female classmates and stand when a girl enters a room.

Incorporating etiquette lessons into the classroom was the brainchild of Cord Ivanyi, a Latin teacher at Gilbert Classical Academy, a public college prep school 30 miles east of Phoenix.

"I teach old-fashioned subjects," Ivanyi told AOL News, "so I don't think I'm doing anyone a disservice by promoting old-fashioned traditions."

A teacher for 14 years, Ivanyi said he was inspired to start demonstrating what he considers proper etiquette after witnessing the coarse behavior that some of the boys in his classes displayed toward the girls.

"Boys treat girls pretty roughly," he said. "And there was so much disruption, so I decided to do something about it."

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/arizona-teacher-adds-etiquette-to-lessons/19355240?icid=main|main|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww .aolnews.com%2Fnation%2Farticle%2Farizona-teacher-adds-etiquette-to-lessons%2F19355240

I thought this was fairly cool as an article. I think that in the flood of modernization, we've lost track of some of the simple points of etiquette. It's not really any one person or group's fault, we all got lax. Nice to see a teacher taking the time to show that it is important.

Kathianne
02-21-2010, 03:56 PM
I thought this was fairly cool as an article. I think that in the flood of modernization, we've lost track of some of the simple points of etiquette. It's not really any one person or group's fault, we all got lax. Nice to see a teacher taking the time to show that it is important.

Great idea. I was happy when our school started emphasizing basic courtesies such as holding the doors for person behind you; saying please and thank you. Saying excuse me, when appropriate, (a very common necessity in middle school. ;) )

HogTrash
02-21-2010, 04:09 PM
It's a shame that the school must teach what children should be learning at home from their families.

But what should we expect when even parents are listening to "music" that teaches us to refer to women as bitches and hoes?

Trigg
02-21-2010, 04:19 PM
That's a great idea.

It's amazing how many parents don't teach their kids basic manners.

My boys have it drilled into them to open doors for women and hold them open for the person coming through behind them.

Binky
02-21-2010, 05:07 PM
I think this is a great article. I commend that teacher for taking it a step further in teaching his students how to show respect to others or in this case females.

While I would love to sit here and blame the laxticity of manners on parents for not teaching them, as we do know for a fact, that millions have failed in their jobs as parents. As a parent, I taught my kids to say please, thankyou, you're welcome and to respect their elders. I still, on occasion, have to reprimand my grandaughters for bad behaviors, and telling them that to pass wind around others, while eating, and then giggling about it, is not the appropriate and polite thing to do, and that it shows no class.

I think there is more to it than just blaming one particular group of people. Take womens lib, for instance. In demanding to be treated and paid as equals, women and girls have become coarser, more men-like, and have, for the most part, lost their femininity. They have chosen to act like men and boys by becoming loud and crude.

And in order to get respect, one must look and act respectful. With the attire many girls are wearing to school, it brings forth another reason for the lack of respect.

And then we have a movie and music industry that markets bad behavior as cool, neat, the thing to do, saying to our youth, "Hey, this is pretty cool stuff and it's ok to say such nasty things about girls and women. And the beats are good." So these industries have their footprints all over how our young girls and women are treated. They have progressively, torn away, piece by piece and bit by bit, at the respect that once was, and have made it look as tho' all women and girls are nothing more than tools used to feed mens fantasys. And the result is what we have today.

DragonStryk72
02-21-2010, 10:33 PM
I think this is a great article. I commend that teacher for taking it a step further in teaching his students how to show respect to others or in this case females.

While I would love to sit here and blame the laxticity of manners on parents for not teaching them, as we do know for a fact, that millions have failed in their jobs as parents. As a parent, I taught my kids to say please, thankyou, you're welcome and to respect their elders. I still, on occasion, have to reprimand my grandaughters for bad behaviors, and telling them that to pass wind around others, while eating, and then giggling about it, is not the appropriate and polite thing to do, and that it shows no class.

I think there is more to it than just blaming one particular group of people. Take womens lib, for instance. In demanding to be treated and paid as equals, women and girls have become coarser, more men-like, and have, for the most part, lost their femininity. They have chosen to act like men and boys by becoming loud and crude.

And in order to get respect, one must look and act respectful. With the attire many girls are wearing to school, it brings forth another reason for the lack of respect.

And then we have a movie and music industry that markets bad behavior as cool, neat, the thing to do, saying to our youth, "Hey, this is pretty cool stuff and it's ok to say such nasty things about girls and women. And the beats are good." So these industries have their footprints all over how our young girls and women are treated. They have progressively, torn away, piece by piece and bit by bit, at the respect that once was, and have made it look as tho' all women and girls are nothing more than tools used to feed mens fantasys. And the result is what we have today.

Right, but we also gave them the idea, by getting lax in the first place. Some of it was also that men, in the face of the women's lib movement, would at points get in trouble for holding the door, or holding out a chair. I actually even got nailed for this stuff on a date when I was younger.

The women's lib movement started off great, obtaining the right to vote, very much improving work place conditions, and generally making life better for women here in America. However, like a lot of movements, everyone did not feel like giving it up when they had achieved their main points, and still wanted to fight. They started creating broader and broader terms for what was considered "sexist". By the time people slowed up, we'd gone too far in the other direction.

Nowadays, it seems like people are waking up to the old values again, looking at them with new respect. This could not have happened in the 80s or 90s, and better is the point that we are not simply taking all of them, but are weighing which ones are actually workable.

Noir
02-21-2010, 10:41 PM
What would the feminists say =/

Much as i agree with this, women can't have it both ways.

DragonStryk72
02-22-2010, 07:39 AM

Much as i agree with this, women can't have it both ways.

Well, the thing is they can, to a certain extent. The problem is that some of the feminists took it too far, and we had the result of our current predicament. Now, people are starting to realize the old values weren't all bad, so some of us are resurrecting the ones the good ones, while leaving the rest behind.

you know, I actually once got in trouble with a girl on a first date for holding the door for her? I couldn't figure out what was so bad about it, myself. Obviously, it didn't end up working out.

HogTrash
02-22-2010, 07:47 AM

Much as i agree with this, women can't have it both ways.Who cares what feminist would say?...As civilized people we know what is right and wrong without listening to a bunch of radical liberal nutcases.

glockmail
02-22-2010, 09:03 AM
Well, the thing is they can, to a certain extent. The problem is that some of the feminists took it too far, and we had the result of our current predicament. Now, people are starting to realize the old values weren't all bad, so some of us are resurrecting the ones the good ones, while leaving the rest behind.

you know, I actually once got in trouble with a girl on a first date for holding the door for her? I couldn't figure out what was so bad about it, myself. Obviously, it didn't end up working out.

I hold doors open for women as well as give up my seat on the bus. Unless they are obviously liberal.

Jeff
02-22-2010, 09:08 AM
That's a great idea.

It's amazing how many parents don't teach their kids basic manners.

My boys have it drilled into them to open doors for women and hold them open for the person coming through behind them.

My kids also have been taught there common sense values , but some parents don't care enough to bother to teach

My kids are ALL boy, they will fist fight at the drop of a dime, but if a adult speaks to them it is yes Sir / Yes Ma'am, they actually will fight to hold the door, ( I guess that is just another reason to fight :laugh2:) But as bad as they are we have notes from different teacher on the fridge talking about what polite young men they are :eek: either the teachers aren't so sharp or those boys have learned to behave when I am not around :laugh2:

Noir
02-22-2010, 09:49 AM

Indeedy, and i agree, but i'd still like to hear what the feminists have to say, if there are any on the board.

and bad luck with that lol, in quite the reverse the first girlfriend i ever had said she agreed to go out with me because i was the first guy to ever open a door for her lol.

Binky
02-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Right, but we also gave them the idea, by getting lax in the first place. Some of it was also that men, in the face of the women's lib movement, would at points get in trouble for holding the door, or holding out a chair. I actually even got nailed for this stuff on a date when I was younger.

The women's lib movement started off great, obtaining the right to vote, very much improving work place conditions, and generally making life better for women here in America. However, like a lot of movements, everyone did not feel like giving it up when they had achieved their main points, and still wanted to fight. They started creating broader and broader terms for what was considered "sexist". By the time people slowed up, we'd gone too far in the other direction.

Nowadays, it seems like people are waking up to the old values again, looking at them with new respect. This could not have happened in the 80s or 90s, and better is the point that we are not simply taking all of them, but are weighing which ones are actually workable.

I understand where you're coming from in respects to you getting nailed for holding a chair for a young lady. I remember in my wedding rehersal, the preacher had to say a couple of times, "now ........, you let him hold your arm while bending to kneel on the bench." :laugh2::laugh2: I guess I was wanting to display independence. You know, "I can do it, and I don't need your help." :laugh2: Anyway, I thing that is what the movement was was all about. Womens indep.. But I do agree with you. They just carried it to the extreme.

And I hope we all continue to wake up and see what's going on in the world around us, as it would certainly work to our advantage.

HogTrash
02-22-2010, 12:25 PM
I hold doors open for women as well as give up my seat on the bus. Unless they are obviously liberal. :thumb: :beer: :laugh2: :lol:

Trigg
02-22-2010, 03:14 PM
My kids also have been taught there common sense values , but some parents don't care enough to bother to teach

My kids are ALL boy, they will fist fight at the drop of a dime, but if a adult speaks to them it is yes Sir / Yes Ma'am, they actually will fight to hold the door, ( I guess that is just another reason to fight :laugh2:) But as bad as they are we have notes from different teacher on the fridge talking about what polite young men they are :eek: either the teachers aren't so sharp or those boys have learned to behave when I am not around :laugh2:

lol, sounds like they have their teachers snowed..good for them.

Binky
02-22-2010, 03:40 PM

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: Sounds like some of what their dad has preached at them has sunk in......:poke::clap:

Kathianne
02-22-2010, 04:49 PM

I agree with all you wrote above. It was high time that women that wanted a career should be able to pursue one and receive a fair salary. Now the getting of extra fair treatment, not so much. The taking it over the top and demonizing men along with manners, was nothing less than foolish.

I think the pendulum has swung back some, women liking to be treated as women and more importantly, valuing decent men. Not all women, then again, not all men are decent, so here we are.