PDA

View Full Version : Last night on 60 Minutes...The Bloom Box: An Energy Breakthrough?

HogTrash
02-22-2010, 06:56 PM
The inventor is claiming it is very affordable and every home could have one in 5 to 10 years.

60 Minute Video
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6228923n

The Bloom Box: An Energy Breakthrough?
60 Minutes: First Customers Says Energy Machine Works And Saves Money

(CBS) In the world of energy, the Holy Grail is a power source that's inexpensive and clean, with no emissions. Well over 100 start-ups in Silicon Valley are working on it, and one of them, Bloom Energy, is about to make public its invention: a little power plant-in-a-box they want to put literally in your backyard.

You'll generate your own electricity with the box and it'll be wireless. The idea is to one day replace the big power plants and transmission line grid, the way the laptop moved in on the desktop and cell phones supplanted landlines.

It has a lot of smart people believing and buzzing, even though the company has been unusually secretive - until now.

K.R. Sridhar invited "60 Minutes" correspondent Lesley Stahl for a first look at the innards of the Bloom box that he has been toiling on for nearly a decade.

Looking at one of the boxes, Sridhar told Stahl it could power an average U.S. home.

"The way we make it is in two blocks. This is a European home. The two put together is a U.S. home," he explained.

"'Cause we use twice as much energy, is that what you're saying?" Stahl asked.

"Yeah, and this'll power four Asian homes," he replied.

"So four homes in India, your native country?" Stahl asked.

"Four to six homes in our country," Sridhar replied.

"It sounds awfully dazzling," Stahl remarked.

"It is real. It works," he replied.

He says he knows it works because he originally invented a similar device for NASA. He really is a rocket scientist.

"This invention, working on Mars, would have allowed the NASA administrator to pick up a phone and say, 'Mr. President, we know how to produce oxygen on Mars,'" Sridhar told Stahl.

"So this was going to produce oxygen so people could actually live on Mars?" she asked.

"Absolutely," Sridhar replied.

When NASA scrapped that Mars mission, Sridhar had an idea: he reversed his Mars machine. Instead of it making oxygen, he pumped oxygen in.

He invented a new kind of fuel cell, which is like a very skinny battery that always runs. Sridhar feeds oxygen to it on one side, and fuel on the other. The two combine within the cell to create a chemical reaction that produces electricity. There's no need for burning or combustion, and no need for power lines from an outside source.

Click to continue
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/02/18/60minutes/main6221135.shtml

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/02/22/the-bloom-box-energy-breakthrough-or-silicon-valley-hype/

http://www.nydailynews.com/tech_guide/2010/02/22/2010-02-22_bloom_energy_inventor_kr_sridhar_makes_big_prom ise_with_bloom_box.html

02-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Id love to know the science behind it, if it actually does what it claims.

chesswarsnow
02-22-2010, 11:41 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. Somehow it converts fuel, be it natural gas, into electricity.
2. The thing about it, it doesn't take much fuel to run a whole house, with all its electrical needs.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

HogTrash
02-23-2010, 06:56 AM
Here are a few of the companies involved in testing the new energy source.

"In five to ten years, we would like to be in every home," Sridhar told Leslie Stahl on "60 Minutes" Sunday night.

The "box" generates its power wirelessly through a combination of oxygen and a fossil fuel - natural gas, bio-gas, etc.

It is presently being tested by companies such as Google, WalMart, FedEx and eBay,

who have shelled out hundreds of thousands for the "green" machines, the CBS News program reported.

Smaller versions could be used to power individual homes, and would be environmentally friendly.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/tech_guide/2010/02/22/2010-02-22_bloom_energy_inventor_kr_sridhar_makes_big_prom ise_with_bloom_box.html#ixzz0gML0IcnZ

glockmail
02-23-2010, 08:28 AM
Id love to know the science behind it, if it actually does what it claims.Its a fuel cell, more or less theoretical when I was in college due to material issues. It takes a fuel and breaks it down to more or less directly move electrons without having to go through the messy steps of expanding gas to move a piston, to turn a crank, to turn a generator. Efficiencies are theoretically near 100% versus 25 to 30% for a typical residential sized generator set.

Gaffer
02-23-2010, 09:29 AM
I want one.

02-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Its a fuel cell, more or less theoretical when I was in college due to material issues. It takes a fuel and breaks it down to more or less directly move electrons without having to go through the messy steps of expanding gas to move a piston, to turn a crank, to turn a generator. Efficiencies are theoretically near 100% versus 25 to 30% for a typical residential sized generator set.

Interesting....

revelarts
02-23-2010, 11:54 AM
awesome. I hope the powers that be don't shut him down.

and if it can power house what about a car?

HogTrash
02-23-2010, 05:45 PM
This could be quite a blow to our beloved Middle Eastern Islamic friends. :boohoo:

glockmail
02-23-2010, 07:21 PM
Hmmm... What happened to my post?

Fuel cells have been proposed to make power for electric cars for decades but there have been many problems.

1. The proposed fuel was hydrogen, which is very expensive.
2. Fuel cells are better at constant power, not the varying power requirements of cars and trucks.

HogTrash
02-23-2010, 10:13 PM
Hmmm... What happened to my post?

Fuel cells have been proposed to make power for electric cars for decades but there have been many problems.

1. The proposed fuel was hydrogen, which is very expensive.
2. Fuel cells are better at constant power, not the varying power requirements of cars and trucks.As you said, the hydrogen powered fuel cells are much to expensive to produce and operate.

These new fuel cells are a completely new technology...Inexpensive to produce and will operate on a variety of fuel sources.

The electricity that it produces is constant and steady and it's dependability is now being tested...It actually sounds too good to be true glock?

Mr. P
02-23-2010, 10:52 PM
I want one.

Me too!

But, my guess is the big boys are gonna try to keep this away from the public if they can. I hope Bloom doesn't cave to the millions or billions he may be offered to give it up and sell out.

glockmail
02-24-2010, 08:13 AM
As you said, the hydrogen powered fuel cells are much to expensive to produce and operate.

These new fuel cells are a completely new technology...Inexpensive to produce and will operate on a variety of fuel sources.

The electricity that it produces is constant and steady and it's dependability is now being tested...It actually sounds too good to be true glock?

The H2 cells use platinum as a catalyst, so no they have not been cheap. Plus to make H2 you need to break down methane or use electricity.

The breakthrough here is that Bloom isn't using platinum, plus he's using a cheap, plentiful fuel.

So unless Google and these other firms are part of a big conspiracy this thing really is a huge development in energy production. We're not getting power for free, but we are getting it at very high efficiencies, and in a very convenient form.

PostmodernProphet
02-24-2010, 08:49 AM
this part is problematic...

Bloom Energy said a single one of its units would power about 100 homes and cost $700,000 to $800,000,

Noir
02-24-2010, 08:52 AM
I think I memo it saying in the video that it uses about 1/4 the fuel for the same amount of energy, meaning what will likly happen is that big electric companies will take control of them, generate their power through them, and admist a fanfare of technological advancement will suddenly announce they are cutting the price of energy by 50%...everyones energy bills are cut in half, and the electric companies profits go up 25%
Everyone happy.

Gaffer
02-24-2010, 09:03 AM
I think I memo it saying in the video that it uses about 1/4 the fuel for the same amount of energy, meaning what will likly happen is that big electric companies will take control of them, generate their power through them, and admist a fanfare of technological advancement will suddenly announce they are cutting the price of energy by 50%...everyones energy bills are cut in half, and the electric companies profits go up 25%
Everyone happy.

I see that as very likely.

HogTrash
02-24-2010, 10:20 AM
I see that as very likely.Keep in mind...If the price of energy was reduced, the government would definately take advantage of the situation to increase the taxes on it drasticly.

Especially if the Democrats are in office or possibly even the Republicans unless they revert back to their conservative roots and principles of governance.

PostmodernProphet
02-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Everyone happy.
absurd.....why would they do that when they can increase profits by 65% and reduce our rates by 10?.......

glockmail
02-24-2010, 11:34 AM
this part is problematic... Why? Even at $8G, you'd save enough over several years to amortize the investment. And those are current costs, with a factory that makes one unit per day.

Bloom said that he expects the units to be available to power an American home for around $3G, which is very cost-effective. The cost of my fuel oil boiler, heating and hot water system was much more then electric heating, but I went with oil because the major cost over a ten year period is fuel, and oil is cheaper then electricity. That equation will change when these units become available.