PDA

View Full Version : Term Limits for Congress

Roadrunner
02-24-2010, 06:50 AM
If anyone on the board supports term limits for Congress, go to this site and sign the petition.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/21/congressional-reform-act-of-2010

02-24-2010, 08:41 PM
See, I've only got one real problem with this. The fact is if these politicians had term limits and wouldnt have to worry about running for reelection, they would have passed this health care bill with absolutely no fear of retribution.

Roadrunner
03-12-2010, 12:54 PM
This is not to dis your reponse to my post, but if two terms are good enough for our president, two terms should be good enough for members of congress.

It’s a proven fact that congressmen are more productive in their first two terms. After that they become aware of how Washington works and realize that they can benefit personally from their public service, and for too many that becomes their main focus. As a general rule, compare the financial status of congressmen when they first come to Washigton with each succeeding year that they’re there. Their bank accounts can grow substantially. But what worthwhile benefits has the country received from their long "service"?

After all the recent publicity about long-time members of congress who have betrayed the trust of their constituents (during both Republican and Democrat administrations), I don't want these people on the taxpayers' payroll any longer than necessary. Two terms should about do it to get the best they have to give the country.

AFbombloader
03-12-2010, 01:28 PM
The members of Congress will never vote to limit their own terms. It will have to be done in another way.

It is possible to limit the terms for our own state? Can Indiana impose term limits on its members? If the states all adopt it, will it pass constitutionality?

The only other way I can see is for there to be an amendment, but this need to originate from Congress and that won't happen.

AF:salute:

glockmail
03-12-2010, 01:39 PM
As I recall the States can get together and do an Amendment to the Constitution without the US Congress being able to do anything about it except open up their mouths and take the poison pill.

Term limits are a great idea. They should be about 8 years as has worked with the President. If they are staggered then the issue of them voting for whatever because of lame duck status is addressed.

SassyLady
03-12-2010, 01:42 PM
This is not to dis your reponse to my post, but if two terms are good enough for our president, two terms should be good enough for members of congress.

It’s a proven fact that congressmen are more productive in their first two terms. After that they become aware of how Washington works and realize that they can benefit personally from their public service, and for too many that becomes their main focus. As a general rule, compare the financial status of congressmen when they first come to Washigton with each succeeding year that they’re there. Their bank accounts can grow substantially. But what worthwhile benefits has the country received from their long "service"?

After all the recent publicity about long-time members of congress who have betrayed the trust of their constituents (during both Republican and Democrat administrations), I don't want these people on the taxpayers' payroll any longer than necessary. Two terms should about do it to get the best they have to give the country.

I agree with you 100%! They need to focus on why they were elected instead of focusing on getting re-elected.

AFbombloader
03-12-2010, 01:45 PM
As I recall the States can get together and do an Amendment to the Constitution without the US Congress being able to do anything about it except open up their mouths and take the poison pill.

Term limits are a great idea. They should be about 8 years as has worked with the President. If they are staggered then the issue of them voting for whatever because of lame duck status is addressed.

I think 12 years would be optimal, 2 terms for the senate and 6 for the house. That way they are not directly tied to any President and will be in long enough but not too long. And with 12 years we wouldn't have to change the current terms of service. Whatever the case, we need them. I will look into the states thing, I believe you are correct, 2'3's need to come to an amendment I think.

Nukeman
03-12-2010, 03:08 PM
I think 12 years would be optimal, 2 terms for the senate and 6 for the house. That way they are not directly tied to any President and will be in long enough but not too long. And with 12 years we wouldn't have to change the current terms of service. Whatever the case, we need them. I will look into the states thing, I believe you are correct, 2'3's need to come to an amendment I think.
Only down side to opening up the constitution for an ammendment of this type is that you open the WHOLE thing for other isssues as well. It has the potential to change the entire document!!! just a something i thought i would throw in there....

crin63
03-12-2010, 03:36 PM
I'm really torn on the issue. On the one hand I would have no term limits for any political office including president because Americans should be able to vote for whoever they want too and have the final say. OTH the dogs we have in office forget they are employees and act more like lords over the American people.

I'm also kind of torn on whether only land owners should be able to vote.

KarlMarx
03-12-2010, 07:03 PM
If anyone on the board supports term limits for Congress, go to this site and sign the petition.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/21/congressional-reform-act-of-2010
For this session of Congress, I propose the Soprano method of term limits.... badabing and fuhgetaboutit

Noir
03-12-2010, 08:22 PM
I don't know if term limits are really the answer, I mean, how many of you live in districts with really good local politicians? I know that my one back home serves us well, and she was the first person my dad voted for when he first came of legal age to vote.

Given the set-up you guys have I dint think congressmen have that much power by themselves, as they are more of a collective. They also have to face very regular ellections (I'm amazed at how they have a whole house 2 year cycle!) and not just against whoever the parties chose, but whoever the people chose due to primaries. I think that's a pretty big check on their power without limiting their term time aswell.

Roadrunner
03-14-2010, 09:20 AM
If people took seriously the responsibility to cast an informed vote which would entail making an effort to educate themselves about the candidates and the issues instead of taking others' word for it (i.e., the liberal media), elections would work to curtail the terms of unproductive congressional members. But so far elections haven’t worked to keep opportunists from getting re-elected. Uninformed voters generally vote for incumbents.

I do believe that our financial crisis awakened many ordinary citizens who had never been active in the political process before to become active participants (hallelujah!). If we could count on the Tea Party movement, the town halls, the 9-12 Projects, etc. to continue functioning in the future and educating the electorate, then elections would be the instrument to weed out unproductive congressmen.

As has already been pointed out, congress would never vote to limit their own terms. But an informed citizenry who had done its homework on the subject and had come to the conclusion that term limits were needed could apply the necessary pressure to get the job done. I don’t think any sensible congressman who wanted to hang onto his job would buck the voters. In this fall’s elections, many foolish congressmen are going to be taught that lesson loud and clear.

Kathianne
03-14-2010, 09:29 AM
The members of Congress will never vote to limit their own terms. It will have to be done in another way.

It is possible to limit the terms for our own state? Can Indiana impose term limits on its members? If the states all adopt it, will it pass constitutionality?

The only other way I can see is for there to be an amendment, but this need to originate from Congress and that won't happen.

AF:salute:

Well the people could actually clue themselves in before voting, no? Shouldn't need term limits, the people can certainly impose them.

Insein
03-14-2010, 11:20 AM
See, I've only got one real problem with this. The fact is if these politicians had term limits and wouldnt have to worry about running for reelection, they would have passed this health care bill with absolutely no fear of retribution.

The other way to look at that is that if congress had term limits, Ted Kennedy would have been out of office 32 years ago and his massive healthcare bill that he had been adding to for that whole time would never have been brought to the floor.

Insein
03-14-2010, 11:29 AM
As far as I am concerned, Term limits are the answer. Political office is supposed to be a public service. Somewhere along the way it turned into a high paying job. If the job paid little and left little time for people to cheat the system, then those that want power and money will try other avenues to gain wealth and power. This will open up the office to people who truly want to help the country with their ideals. Even if those ideals are liberal in nature, at least we would have people who wanted to be there for what they feel is right rather than trying to gain power.

namvet
03-14-2010, 02:06 PM
ive always favored it.ie look at reid. death on a soda cracker

Noir
03-14-2010, 02:30 PM
May i just add, allot of you guys seem in favour of it, however, at the same time it seems clear that Obamas Healthcare bill is struggling because of a lack of Democrat support. The reason being that they do not want to vote for a bill that may get them voted out at the next election, however, if someone was under a term limit system, and were in their last term, what do they have to fear of the electorate?

namvet
03-14-2010, 02:41 PM
May i just add, allot of you guys seem in favour of it, however, at the same time it seems clear that Obamas Healthcare bill is struggling because of a lack of Democrat support. The reason being that they do not want to vote for a bill that may get them voted out at the next election, however, if someone was under a term limit system, and were in their last term, what do they have to fear of the electorate?

cobra or medicare

Noir
03-14-2010, 02:53 PM
cobra or medicare

I know of medicare, but not cobra, but assuming it is another type of social health scheme, in what way does that refer to my post about the lack of accountability to a congressmen if they know they can not be elected back into power?

namvet
03-14-2010, 04:54 PM
I know of medicare, but not cobra, but assuming it is another type of social health scheme, in what way does that refer to my post about the lack of accountability to a congressmen if they know they can not be elected back into power?

there is of couse no guarantee's. except maybe to stop their voting on the way out. I think a 20-30 year hitch is more reasonable. just don't let em stay till death us do part

03-14-2010, 07:16 PM

They can call a Constitutional Convention. Unfortunately, we may not recognize the document when it's done.