PDA

View Full Version : Reputation Explained

jimnyc
04-23-2007, 09:13 AM
Psycho asked about the system functions earlier, and this has been asked many times before, so I made a reference page.

Along the top navigation bar, look for "reputation" and click, it'll bring you to a page explaining the current settings.

What else you think I should add there?

Aside from that, any other "additional" pages anyone can think of that might be a good idea to create?

gabosaurus
04-23-2007, 01:59 PM
Is there a way we can turn off the reputation thing if we are not interested in playing the game?

jackass
04-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Hey Jim,
This is what I read :
It should reflect a members posting ability, not whether or not you agree or disagree with a post.

If your not positive repping someone whether you agree of disagree with their post...then what are you repping for? Punctuation?

Kathianne
04-23-2007, 06:51 PM
Hey Jim,
This is what I read :
It should reflect a members posting ability, not whether or not you agree or disagree with a post.

If your not positive repping someone whether you agree of disagree with their post...then what are you repping for? Punctuation?

Are you saying that rep should only go positive? We should not be able to ding those we disagree with? Lord knows, I've had my share of negatives. Well deserved from their pov.

jimnyc
04-23-2007, 06:51 PM
Hey Jim,
This is what I read :

Examples:

Positive - for someone who wrote a lengthy, well though out post, not copied and pasted. Remained civil, made their points, and kept your interest. Hell, I gave out plenty of rep to users I disagree with but wrote stuff that made me laugh or think about things differently. Maybe for posting a funny story in the chat section that cheered you up.

Negative - for someone who drops by in a reply to you and leaves a one worder "dipshit" for instance, and then doesn't return. Someone who looks to rile others. Vulgar. Condescending towards other members...

Just a few examples.

But if I use proper punctuation you can pos rep me if you like. :)

BTW - why is that? I own the damn place and my rep sucks ass. Never got a single negative, but I guess I don't post anything worthy to amount anywhere. I guess my spewing hatred doesn't earn rep? :laugh2:

LiberalNation
04-23-2007, 07:09 PM
I like the rep system. I get negs and pos one. Normally pos when I express one of my more conservative veiws but sometimes other time. I just like reading what people write to you in them.

jackass
04-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Examples:

BTW - why is that? I own the damn place and my rep sucks ass. Never got a single negative, but I guess I don't post anything worthy to amount anywhere. I guess my spewing hatred doesn't earn rep? :laugh2:

Thats because you have gone AWOL. No more boobies shots or anything! :finger3:
P.S.
I will pos rep you everyday if you post a new hottie everyday!! :)

Said1
04-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Thats because you have gone AWOL. No more boobies shots or anything! :finger3:
P.S.
I will pos rep you everyday if you post a new hottie everyday!! :)

I think you mean fatty, right?

jackass
04-23-2007, 08:08 PM
I think you mean fatty, right?

Said1 is your real name Janeen by any chance??? :laugh2:

Said1
04-23-2007, 08:08 PM
Said1 is your real name Janeen by any chance??? :laugh2:

No way. It ain't Sandy either.

jackass
04-23-2007, 08:09 PM
Are you saying that rep should only go positive? We should not be able to ding those we disagree with? Lord knows, I've had my share of negatives. Well deserved from their pov.

No I didnt mean only pos rep. I was just trying to explain what I was thinking. Although...I must say...I havent neg repped too many people.

jackass
04-23-2007, 08:09 PM
No way. It ain't Sandy either.

That was my next guess!! Hahahaha

I see they have worn off on you though! :)

Said1
04-23-2007, 08:11 PM
That was my next guess!! Hahahaha

I see they have worn off on you though! :)

Pffft. You see me posting fatties? :laugh2:

jackass
04-23-2007, 08:13 PM
Pffft. You see me posting fatties? :laugh2:

No not yet. And I hope I never do!! :laugh2:

lily
04-23-2007, 08:19 PM
Hell, I gave out plenty of rep to users I disagree with but wrote stuff that made me laugh or think about things differently. Maybe for posting a funny story in the chat section that cheered you up.

Negative - for someone who drops by in a reply to you and leaves a one worder "dipshit" for instance, and then doesn't return. Someone who looks to rile others. Vulgar. Condescending towards other members...

I know I give out a lot of reps (as small as they are) to people that make me laugh on both sides of the aisle. Hell, if nothing else it shocks them and breaks the ice.

jackass
04-23-2007, 08:21 PM
I do have another question. I have noticed even though someone may have more rep points than another it doesnt mean they have a higher rep power. Whats the deal there?

CockySOB
04-23-2007, 08:24 PM
I do have another question. I have noticed even though someone may have more rep points than another it doesnt mean they have a higher rep power. Whats the deal there?

It's the equation. Some people get their rep power by being a prolific poster. Others get it from rep received. Others get it from a combination.

Think in terms of solving linear systems of equations. All of hte posters who have high rep power represent the relative maximums for the variables involved.

Said1
04-23-2007, 08:25 PM

You sure ask a lot of questions. What's up with that? :laugh2:

manu1959
04-23-2007, 11:05 PM

funny rep...... like mine......... is worth less than smart rep.....

gabosaurus
04-24-2007, 12:07 AM
No one gives positive rep for intelligent, well thought out posts. They give positive rep to posters they agree with and negative rep to those they disagree with. That is why the whole thing is a game.

Baron Von Esslingen
04-24-2007, 12:59 AM
Psycho asked about the system functions earlier, and this has been asked many times before, so I made a reference page.

Along the top navigation bar, look for "reputation" and click, it'll bring you to a page explaining the current settings.

What else you think I should add there?

Aside from that, any other "additional" pages anyone can think of that might be a good idea to create?

It doesn't explain the difference between rep power and reputation points and what those mean in relation to their usage on other members. It doesn't make it clear how you acquire Rep Power in plain English so new folks can understand.

jimnyc
04-24-2007, 04:54 AM
It doesn't explain the difference between rep power and reputation points and what those mean in relation to their usage on other members. It doesn't make it clear how you acquire Rep Power in plain English so new folks can understand.

I've added a few paragraphs. It explains the general idea of the system, and the difference between points and power.

darin
04-24-2007, 07:29 AM
Here's ONE example of a user ABUSING the reputation system; and Harassing via Rep Comments:

I made this post:

http://content80649.clipmarks.com/image_cache/jatfla/512/7566B404-6DEC-4A02-8AE1-39B1665DA100.jpg

OOORAH!

:salute:

For that post, a user sent THIS negative rep & comment:

Don't fuck with me, dmp. I have not fucked with you so avoid me as I have avoided you.

The above is a SHINING example of Harassment via the Reputation system. It's CLEAR that particular user has it out for me, and picked the first thread they could find of mine to neg-rep. If ANY user feels they are being simply harassed through the Rep system, notify a board Admin.

Nienna
04-24-2007, 07:41 AM
No one gives positive rep for intelligent, well thought out posts. They give positive rep to posters they agree with and negative rep to those they disagree with. That is why the whole thing is a game.

I have repped people I didn't necessarily agree with, just bc they brought up a good point.

Roomy
04-24-2007, 10:56 AM
I rep everybody, I have no shame.:laugh2:

CockySOB
04-24-2007, 10:59 AM
I rep everybody, I have no shame.:laugh2:

Does that make you a rep-slut? I mean, you are giving it away for free, right?

:laugh2:

jackass
04-24-2007, 02:30 PM
You sure ask a lot of questions. What's up with that? :laugh2:

Just one of those things I have always wanted to get cleared up and never did. Now that there is a post about it.... :)