PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes you have to play dirty to get justice. T or F?

Luna Tick
02-25-2010, 12:26 AM
Sometimes you have to play dirty to get justice. T or F?

Feel free to elaborate. Do you feel it's justified to do things that in other circumstances would be seen as unethical if it means justice prevails in the end?

Mr. P
02-25-2010, 01:00 AM
Define "other circumstances".

Noir
02-25-2010, 01:00 AM
I agree, you may have to play dirty to get justice, however, that does not mean it is right to play dirty.

darin
02-25-2010, 05:19 AM
Jed Ekert and his gang played dirty sometimes...in the quest for Justice:

http://goremasternews.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/red-dawn-wolverines1.jpg

chloe
02-25-2010, 08:19 AM

Feel free to elaborate. Do you feel it's justified to do things that in other circumstances would be seen as unethical if it means justice prevails in the end?

No

glockmail
02-25-2010, 09:32 AM
When dealing with crooks and liars, use deceit and lies.

jimnyc
02-25-2010, 09:55 AM
I say all is fair in love and war!

Look for the thread in the chat section about me dealing with my local government to improve safety issues on my dead end road that is no longer really a dead end road. I am going the appropriate way thus far, but will be happy to "play dirty" if necessary - contacting media to expose their incompetence, putting up signs exposing their own words that contradict their other own words, passing out pamphlets exposing their shitty work...

99% of the time the justice system is the way to go. But if I was a juror on a case where a parent shot and killed a guy 6 months after he raped a child of his - I would find him not guilty before the proceedings even began.

glockmail
02-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Cops do it, and are trained to.

chloe
02-25-2010, 08:37 PM
did someone get off the hook from a crime?

02-25-2010, 08:46 PM
I suppose that depends what you mean by play dirty. If you mean roll up your sleeves and work hard through toil and sweat and dirt, then yes you do sometimes need to do that.

If you mean you have to become criminals to capture criminals, then no. If you do that, then you should be turning yourself in before anyone else.

SassyLady
02-26-2010, 02:00 AM

Justice is the quality of "fair" or "moral rightness" and playing dirty is antithetical so why bother.

pegwinn
01-09-2012, 08:08 PM
I say all is fair in love and war!

Look for the thread in the chat section about me dealing with my local government to improve safety issues on my dead end road that is no longer really a dead end road. I am going the appropriate way thus far, but will be happy to "play dirty" if necessary - contacting media to expose their incompetence, putting up signs exposing their own words that contradict their other own words, passing out pamphlets exposing their shitty work...

99% of the time the justice system is the way to go. But if I was a juror on a case where a parent shot and killed a guy 6 months after he raped a child of his - I would find him not guilty before the proceedings even began.

I actually was the foreman on a jury that tried the guy for raping his daughter (http://the--realist.blogspot.com/2007/01/jury-duty.html), twice. Back in the day we had a thread about it here (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?487-Jury-Duty&highlight=jury+duty).

Personally, if the legal (notice I did not say "Justice") system FUBARS the case I would definitely seek justice on my own. I have no problem with the concept of Law Abiding Citizen (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1197624/) if the cause were extreme enough.

ConHog
01-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Yes, sometimes certain harsh words and or "threats" must be made in order to get people to do what they ought do on their own.

Of course rarely does the person being coerced see it that way, I mean none of us like to feel like we're being told what to do.