PDA

View Full Version : A realist in the midst of Kook Aid Drinkers; my day at work

darin
02-26-2010, 05:25 PM
Part of my duties involve working for 'sustainability' projects. Organizational sustainability is more my cup of tea; nonetheless I spent today at a local Technical college for their annual sustainability conference. Thank you all for your tax dollars, btw. :)

As the meeting kicked off I knew I'd be in trouble. The morning speaker was the Dean of Architecture and Design. He started off benign, talking about the need for renewable resources. I'm all for that - because of the BUSINESS CASE. Anywho - within about 5 minutes he went on to support the need for renewable energy by citing the HOLY GRAIL of the Man-made global warming faith....CO2 levels. When he made his claim about the rise I leaned to my colleague and noted "I love CO2...most of our food COMES from plant life directly or indirectly. Making food for them is GOOD". Someone close by leaned and looked over at me.

The good Dean went on - he spoke about out today's weather (snow) and massive snowfall around the country was defacto PROOF of Climate change. See, the warmer earth means more water evaporates - which later, turns to snow. Nevermind most evaporation I've read about happens near the surface, while the water is warmed by THE SUN.

Whatever. Anywho - after 10 minutes of him spreading his doctrine - PREACHING to us, I had to leave. I honestly felt sick to my stomach and felt ashamed to be a logical, reasonable person; everyone in that room, seemingly lapped up whatever drivel, junk-science and utter BS the good Dean served them.

The rest of the day was like that, from lecture to lecture. Prof's were spouting Climate Kool Aid as if it were FACT...as if it were TRUTH...and nobody challenged them. I suppose that was good - as it would have been rude to call somebody out like that...but I honestly think everyone there today bought it. And again...that just hurt.

Seminars like this - not to mention the international global warming conferences makes me ashamed to be part of the human race....the stupid shit we believe out of arrogance is without limit.

SassyLady
02-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Last weekend I went to a business conference of over 20,000 independent contractors and our keynote speaker asked how many believed in global warming. Less than 100 people raised their hands and the rest laughed. The speaker asked how many felt that Gore should give his peace prize back and everyone cheered.

Take heart .... not everyone is drinking the kookaid!!

02-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Rough day. I bet that was not exciting. I completely understand though.

Mr. P
02-26-2010, 07:57 PM
How much did it cost us for you to hear that drivel?

darin
02-26-2010, 08:19 PM
My pay + $55.

There were a few things I can take from it - would have been better to have been accompanied by Engineer folk, however.

Trigg
02-26-2010, 08:23 PM
My pay + $55.

There were a few things I can take from it - would have been better to have been accompanied by Engineer folk, however.

just please tell me that wasn't $55 an hour.....otherwise I'm just going to bang my head against a wall.

darin
02-26-2010, 09:11 PM
ha! No...was a one-time conference fee of $55. :)

I WISH I made $55/hr though...that'd be cool. C'mon Obamamamamamama....keep growing govt! Hey! Pay us all more so we can hire ppl like your illegal immigrant family members to do our yards and stuff. Create Jobs!! :)

AFbombloader
02-27-2010, 09:45 AM
I have a similar story. My wife works for a head-start organization. She is the lone conservative in the company we think! Anyhow, she is taking an early childhood education class to broaden her education. She has her masters in education, so she is educated. The instructor starts talking about how children are not progressing through their program, their education is not going as well as it could. And she cites, ready for this, the lack of UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE as the primary reason! My wife had to sit and listen to her rail on the, completely off topic, because the room is filled with Obama-Bot Zombies! One woman actually said, "We need to write letters to Obama, because he is the only president who actually reads his mail, he created policy from the letters her gets." She was livid when I picked her up. I told her to write a letter to the dean of education and complain, but she won't, doesn't like to rock the boat.

Kathianne
02-27-2010, 10:38 AM
I have a similar story. My wife works for a head-start organization. She is the lone conservative in the company we think! Anyhow, she is taking an early childhood education class to broaden her education. She has her masters in education, so she is educated. The instructor starts talking about how children are not progressing through their program, their education is not going as well as it could. And she cites, ready for this, the lack of UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE as the primary reason! My wife had to sit and listen to her rail on the, completely off topic, because the room is filled with Obama-Bot Zombies! One woman actually said, "We need to write letters to Obama, because he is the only president who actually reads his mail, he created policy from the letters her gets." She was livid when I picked her up. I told her to write a letter to the dean of education and complain, but she won't, doesn't like to rock the boat.

I thought it was only in education that such nonsense occurred, thanks Darin for making me see that it's not the only discipline full of nutters.

AF, let your wife know I had to sit through 3 hours of hearing the problems with the educational system are related to part to the death penalty. Seriously. Speaker? Helen Prejean (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Prejean)

Pushing her latest book, of course.

darin
02-27-2010, 10:54 AM
Keep in mind - most of the speakers were College Profs, etc. :)

Gaffer
02-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Can anyone say 'Political Officer".

Every company and organization will have to have one, and lectures will be given frequently to be sure everyone is sufficiently brain washed.