PDA

View Full Version : Would love some input on getting SS for my child

krisy
02-27-2010, 10:36 AM
As some of you may know,my daughter was diagnosed with pretty signifigant hearing loss about two and a half years ago. Inititally we were approved for state health care(which I hated the feeling of),but when we reapplied were told we make too much(which believe me is not a lot). Niether of our employers carry insurance and I have been looking for a new job for two years,but Ohios economy is very bad right now...one of the worst.

Initially all kinds of people wanting us to apply for SSI for her. My husband and I didn't want to recieve a check for her disability. It didn't feel right,plus all the bills were paid inititaly by the state health care(which were were pushed into applying for).

Well,now we have people from school and family members who really think we should apply for this check to help pay the bills for hearing aids,tests,reprogramming...so on. They say my husband and I work hard and always have (which is true). Why not get some of this SSI money for our daughter because we will never see it. We both hate the feeling of any kind of government in our lives. Plus,it is a huge fight to get it. Most are turned down the first two or three times. I also dont want her to ever think she can't do what everyone else can.

I would love to hear some opinions on this. Should we apply?

krisy
02-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Kathianne,I would especailly like to have some of your input on this!

Kathianne
02-27-2010, 10:46 AM
You are paying in, yes if she qualifies.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disability/

I can't find their threshold of hearing. Mine was last 65% bilateral loss, at 66% it's considered 'severe'.

Kathianne
02-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Kathianne,I would especailly like to have some of your input on this!

I missed this before posting. I never thought of this, but will now. My aids are nearing their life expectancy and I don't have $8k to put out now. On top of that, very likely out of job after June, without hearing aids I won't be able to find one, no doubt about that.

krisy
02-27-2010, 10:51 AM

I can't find their threshold of hearing. Mine was last 65% bilateral loss, at 66% it's considered 'severe'.

Savannah's is moderate severe. They said if they put it in percentages it would be 35-40% in one ear and 55-60% in the other. I've just agonized over this. We hate the feeling of being tangled in or dependent on the gov.

So you don't think it's sponging? We both have always worked. My husband works a lot. I don't know why I can't get passed this!!!

krisy
02-27-2010, 10:55 AM
I missed this before posting. I never thought of this, but will now. My aids are nearing their life expectancy and I don't have $8k to put out now. On top of that, very likely out of job after June, without hearing aids I won't be able to find one, no doubt about that.

I'm sorry Kath. I look at your situation and say you should absolutley get some kind of help!! You always worked. We have been told there are a lot of organizations that can help somewhat with costs,but I'm sure you know that allready.

Do you know anyone who has gone sown this road with the SSI?

krisy
02-27-2010, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the link! School sent home some info too. Time to start reading.

Kathianne
02-27-2010, 11:05 AM
I'm sorry Kath. I look at your situation and say you should absolutley get some kind of help!! You always worked. We have been told there are a lot of organizations that can help somewhat with costs,but I'm sure you know that allready.

Do you know anyone who has gone sown this road with the SSI?

No, but if I were you I'd use it, if she qualifies. You and your husband have been paying into SSI, if it can help provide her with what she needs, go for it. It's extremely important that she can hear whatever possible and it's very expensive to get all the right things.

The school too may qualify for money to provide her with necessary equipment, it remains the property of the school though.

http://www.ed.uiuc.edu/wp/access/hearing.html

Gaffer
02-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Definitely go for the SSI. The biggest problem with them is you have to get a lawyer to get anything done. I thing it's all part of the lawyers running things so that you or at least someone pays them for having there name attached to a case. Take the money and don't think twice about it. It's what you pay SSI for.

krisy
02-27-2010, 11:21 AM
No, but if I were you I'd use it, if she qualifies. You and your husband have been paying into SSI, if it can help provide her with what she needs, go for it. It's extremely important that she can hear whatever possible and it's very expensive to get all the right things.

The school too may qualify for money to provide her with necessary equipment, it remains the property of the school though.

http://www.ed.uiuc.edu/wp/access/hearing.html

Yes. The school has been great. They recieved the equipment not long after she was diagnosed with hearing loss. They have an FM system that the teach wears around her neck and her voice goes right into Savannah's ear. Had a problem last yer with the teach yelling at other children and forgetting it was going very loud into Savannah's ear lol! I had to have the hearing teach from the county gently say something to the teach. It wasn't her fault,she just wasn't thinking. They have done well with Savannah. She is the only child in her school with hearing aids and one of only 14 in the district,which is pretty big.

Kathianne
02-27-2010, 11:28 AM
Yes. The school has been great. They recieved the equipment not long after she was diagnosed with hearing loss. They have an FM system that the teach wears around her neck and her voice goes right into Savannah's ear. Had a problem last yer with the teach yelling at other children and forgetting it was going very loud into Savannah's ear lol! I had to have the hearing teach from the county gently say something to the teach. It wasn't her fault,she just wasn't thinking. They have done well with Savannah. She is the only child in her school with hearing aids and one of only 14 in the district,which is pretty big.

If you do need a lawyer, call your county Bar Association, explain the issue. My guess is they'll have a pro bono referral or even possibly the bar association's atty ad litem for children.

krisy
02-27-2010, 11:29 AM
Definitely go for the SSI. The biggest problem with them is you have to get a lawyer to get anything done. I thing it's all part of the lawyers running things so that you or at least someone pays them for having there name attached to a case. Take the money and don't think twice about it. It's what you pay SSI for.

I really started thinking about it more recently because I hear more and more about my generation not going to see a penny of it and that ticks me off. Plus,this last year has been a struggle financially and the gov won't give help to any middle class. You have to be dirt poor,and I mean poor to get anything. I wish I could just find a job with insurance and do this oursleves. My stepdad (phil) who you know gaff, has MS and was looking into it a partial check and was getting a hard time. This is after working his ASS off for 30 years and 10 of them with MS doing drywall!!! *scream*!!!!! It's so frustrating. He and my mom have never,ever asked the gov for anything...nothing . Meanwhile he pays in and gets a hard time getting any back when he needs a little help.

I have heard about getting a lawyer and all that jazz. We couldn't afford it,unless they are paid after the check. I was told that because her loss is genetic and been there since birth,there is a chance we would get a check back dated nine years. Don't know

Mr. P
02-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Krisy, I may be able to help, we do SS disability.

I just called the attorney on this for you.
A couple questions..

1. How old is she?

2. Is speech affected that is attributed to the hearing lose?

Ms K.. bad news..you probably can't get disability since with an aid you can and have been functioning.
The qualification parameters are different for kids vs adults.

Disclaimer..This is NOT LEGAL advice.:laugh2:

Mr. P
02-27-2010, 12:15 PM

This is a common misconception. Fact is that even an attorney has to deal with the Government and they move at their on slow pace, believe me.

You definitely need one if you have a hiring though.

krisy
02-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Krisy, I may be able to help, we do SS disability.

I just called the attorney on this for you.
A couple questions..

1. How old is she?

2. Is speech affected that is attributed to the hearing lose?

Ms K.. bad news..you probably can't get disability since with an aid you can and have been functioning.
The qualification parameters are different for kids vs adults.

Disclaimer..This is NOT LEGAL advice.:laugh2:

Wow Mr.P thank u;)

She is 9 years old. Her speech is affected by the hearing loss. She takes speech in school and was going to Cincinnati Childrens for speech until we lost the health ins. She has been in speech for a few years now with decent progress.

Mr. P
02-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Wow Mr.P thank u;)

She is 9 years old. Her speech is affected by the hearing loss. She takes speech in school and was going to Cincinnati Childrens for speech until we lost the health ins. She has been in speech for a few years now with decent progress.

Here's what you need to do IF you want to pursue this.

Go to the SS office and file for your daughter.
Take copies of all medical files you have with you. If you don't have files at least have the name and address of every Dr. that has seen her.

Most cases are denied the first time but unless you apply you'll never know.

If she is denied then seek an attorney that specializes in SS disability and children (minors) claims. There is NO CHARGE, fees for SS disability are set by the Government and only paid BY the Government, not you, IF the benefits are awarded. So, if someone wants to charge you up front look elsewhere.

If you have any questions I'll be happy to help if I can.

krisy
02-27-2010, 03:44 PM
Here's what you need to do IF you want to pursue this.

Go to the SS office and file for your daughter.
Take copies of all medical files you have with you. If you don't have files at least have the name and address of every Dr. that has seen her.

Most cases are denied the first time but unless you apply you'll never know.

If she is denied then seek an attorney that specializes in SS disability and children (minors) claims. There is NO CHARGE, fees for SS disability are set by the Government and only paid BY the Government, not you, IF the benefits are awarded. So, if someone wants to charge you up front look elsewhere.

If you have any questions I'll be happy to help if I can.

What if benefits are not awarded? I'm not stuck with a lawyer bill am I?

I think I am going to start the process as much as I dread it. I suppose I've drug my feet long enough. We have to be able to pay these bills. Thank you again Mr.P! It's very good to know about the lawyer fees.

Mr. P
02-27-2010, 05:06 PM
What if benefits are not awarded? I'm not stuck with a lawyer bill am I?

I think I am going to start the process as much as I dread it. I suppose I've drug my feet long enough. We have to be able to pay these bills. Thank you again Mr.P! It's very good to know about the lawyer fees.

I don't know about Ohio code..here fees for medical records are free of charge for SSI cases. If the attorney must pay out of pocket you can expect to be billed for that. Other than that you may have a consultation fee..we don't charge for a consultation, but I don't know the standard for Ohio.

BUT first file yourself..you may not even need an attorney.

Trinity
02-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Krissy you don't even have to go to the SS office to apply you can apply online but make sure you get all the doctors names, hospitals, anyone that has had anything to do with her hearing loss, addresses, phone numbers, and dates.

http://www.ssa.gov/applyfordisability/

Mr. P
02-27-2010, 09:22 PM
Krissy you don't even have to go to the SS office to apply you can apply online but make sure you get all the doctors names, hospitals, anyone that has had anything to do with her hearing loss, addresses, phone numbers, and dates.

http://www.ssa.gov/applyfordisability/

That's true she can apply online..But if she has records that can be many pages long that she wants on record. She should go and submit them to a real live person so she can get a name, time & date and not count on the net. I promise you..they'll claim they never got the records and that means an automatic denial.

It's a long frustrating process full of Government incompetence.

Trinity
02-27-2010, 09:41 PM

Of course it is, it's the government!!!

krisy
02-27-2010, 09:47 PM

This is part of my not wanting to do it. The only reason I am even considering is to pay the doctor/audiologist bills. I have held off a long time in hopes I could find another job with health insurance....altho they don't pay for hearing aids. They would the rest of the stuff tho.

PostmodernProphet
02-27-2010, 11:00 PM
uhh, I am confused....you say she is nine....SSDI is income for people who are unable to work because of disabilaties....she won't be able to apply until she is 18......

Mr. P
02-28-2010, 12:06 AM
uhh, I am confused....you say she is nine....SSDI is income for people who are unable to work because of disabilaties....she won't be able to apply until she is 18......

Minors can get it.