PDA

View Full Version : St Patrick's Day Recipes

Shadow
02-27-2010, 02:27 PM
My grandfather was Irish...so St. Patrick's day was always celebrated in our family. Thought I would post some fun recipes for folks to try if they are interested.

Starting with...

Corned Beef and Cabbage

Ingredients:
3 pounds corned beef brisket with spice packet
10 small red potatoes
5 carrots, peeled and julienned
1 large head cabbage, cut into small wedges.

Directions:

Place corned beef in large pot on stove,crock pot or dutch oven and cover with water. Add the spice packet that came with the corned beef. Cover pot and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer approximately 50 minutes per pound or until tender.

Add whole potatoes and carrots, and cook until the vegetables are almost tender. Add cabbage and cook for 15 more minutes. Remove meat and let rest 15 minutes.

Place vegetables in a bowl and cover. Add as much broth (cooking liquid reserved in the Dutch oven or large pot) as you want. Slice meat across the grain.

Note: I actually cook the cabbage longer than the 15 min listed. Its basically to taste,some folks like it crisp.

Nukeman
02-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Me personally I prefer Irish stew.... or shepherds pie!!! Good stuff.....:beer:

By the way my favorite "holiday" by far is St Patrick's day!!!!:beer::beer::dance:

Shadow
02-27-2010, 02:37 PM
My daughter made this last year for a school project/St. Paddy's day fair. It was good.

Irish Soda Bread

Ingredients:

2 cups white flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
4 tbsp. butter, chilled
1 cup raisins (we used dried cranberries instead)
1 1/2 cups buttermilk or plain yogurt
2 teaspoons caraway seeds

Instructions:

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients.

Cut in the butter until it is pea-sized. Stir in the raisins and buttermilk or yogurt. Turn the dough onto a floured surface, knead 1 minute, and shape into a disk.

Cut an "X" in the top and bake on a greased baking sheet for 45 to 50 min.

Shadow
02-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Irish Lamb Stew

Ingredients:

1 1/2 pounds thickly sliced bacon, diced
6 pounds boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 2 inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup water
4 cups beef stock
2 teaspoons white sugar
4 cups diced carrots
2 large onions, cut into bite-size pieces
3 potatoes
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 bay leaves
1 cup white wine

Directions:

Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble, and set aside.

Put lamb, salt, pepper, and flour in large mixing bowl. Toss to coat meat evenly. Brown meat in frying pan with bacon fat.

Place meat into stock pot (leave 1/4 cup of fat in frying pan). Add the garlic and yellow onion and saute till onion begins to become golden. Deglaze frying pan with 1/2 cup water and add the garlic-onion mixture to the stock pot with bacon pieces, beef stock, and sugar. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.

Add carrots, onions, potatoes, thyme, bay leaves, and wine to pot. Reduce heat, and simmer covered for 20 minutes until vegetables are tender.

Shadow
02-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Me personally I prefer Irish stew.... or shepherds pie!!! Good stuff.....:beer:

By the way my favorite "holiday" by far is St Patrick's day!!!!:beer::beer::dance:

Irish stew is great ( I just posted that recipe). I will look for a recipe for shepherds pie also...what my family used to make as "shepherds pie" is a bit different than the authentic version I found out later. It's more of a beef type casserole.

Shadow
02-27-2010, 02:56 PM
SHEPHERDS PIE

1 onion, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 lb. lamb, minced (or beef)
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 large carrot, diced
1 beef stock cube
1 lb. chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon corn flour
3 tablespoons tomato puree
pinch of salt and pepper
2 lb. potatoes
1 stick butter

This is how to make a real English shepherds pie, made with lamb. If made with beef, it would be known as cottage pie.

Firstly, heat the olive oil in a pan, add the onion, garlic and carrot and cook until soft. Add minced lamb and stock cube, then cook until the mince is brown and shows a crumbly texture. Stir in the tomatoes and tomato puree, and add the corn flour. Leave to simmer, stirring occasionally, for about fifteen minutes, or until thickened.

Meanwhile, peel and chop potatoes and boil until soft, then mash them with the butter and salt and pepper to taste.

Put the filling into a deep dish, then top with the mashed potatoes and put under a warm grill (broiler) until the top is brown and crisp.

top with cheese (melt) If desired.

Shadow
02-27-2010, 03:07 PM
Chocolatey Irish Coffee

Ingredients:

6-8 ounces hot coffee
3/4 ounce Baileys Irish Cream
3/4 ounce Irish whiskey
1/2 ounce Creme de Cacao

Directions:

Pour all of the ingredients into your favourite mug, stir and enjoy!

Chocolately Shot Recipes

Chocolate Almond recipe

1/3 oz amaretto almond liqueur
1/3 oz dark creme de cacao
1/3 oz Irish cream

Layer the ingredients in the order listed.

23% (46 proof)
Serve in: Shot Glass

Chocolate Snake Bite recipe

1/2 oz Bailey's® Irish cream
1/2 oz Kahlua® coffee liqueur
1/2 oz brown creme de cacao
1/2 oz Goldschlager® cinnamon schnapps

Pour ingredients into a stainless steel shaker over ice, and shake until completely cold. Strain into an old-fashioned glass, and serve.

28% (56 proof)
Serve in: Old-Fashioned Glass

Chocolate Monk recipe
1/3 part Frangelico® hazelnut liqueur
1/3 part Kahlua® coffee liqueur
1/3 part Bailey's® Irish cream

Shaken with ice.

Okay this last one isn't really a St Paddy's day drink but it sounded good so I thought what the heck I'll add it anyway...

Dirty Banana Recipe

Ingredients 1 oz Coffee Liqueur
1 oz Creme de Cacao
1 oz Creme de Bananes
2 scoops Vanilla Ice Cream

Instructions Blend six ice cubes with ice-cream in a blender until smooth.
Add liqueurs and continue blending, again until smooth.
Add more ice-cream if needed (for milk-shake consistency).
Pour into a highball glass, and serve.

Shadow
02-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Beer Pastrami Sandwich

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups beef broth, canned
1 cup dark beer (Guiness or other dark beer)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 lb pastrami, thinly sliced
4 sandwich buns (e.g., long hoagy buns)
12 slices swiss cheese
mustard (your choice of type, hot, sweet is good)

Directions:

1. Preheat the broiler to High setting.

2. In a saucepan, over medium heat, combine the broth, beer and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.

3. Separate the slices of pastrami and drop each into the sauce, allowing the pastrami to heat through.

4. Place open buns on an ungreased cookie sheet or half-sheet. Place pastrami slices on one side of the bun, (reserving the cooking sauce). Place cheese on the opposite side of the bun. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes until cheese melts.

5. remove from broiler and spread mustard on pastrami.

6. Serve, cut into pieces and with bowls of the sauce for dipping.

Shadow
02-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Sausage and Potato Coddle

Ingredients:

1/2 pound thick-sliced bacon, cut in 2-inch pieces
1 pound pork sausage links
2 large onions, sliced
4 large potatoes, (2 pounds)
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 cups water

Preparation:

In skillet, cook the bacon until golden, then drain on paper towels. Brown sausages (prick in several places with fork) in bacon fat; drain on paper towels and slice into 1/4-inch pieces.
Peel and slice potatoes about 1/4-inch thick. In a casserole dish, alternate layers of bacon, sausage, onion, and potato, seasoning the potatoes with salt and pepper. Sprinkle each layer with a little parsley.

Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the skillet. Add water and bring to the boil. Pour over the potato casserole. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Remove the cover and cook an additional 15 minutes, until the top is browned and potatoes are tender.

Shadow
02-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Blarney Blaster
(From T.G.I. Friday's)

¾ ounce Irish whiskey
¾ ounce Bailey's Irish Cream
¾ ounce green creme de menthe
2 scoops vanilla ice cream
½ cup crushed ice

Add ingredients into blender and blend until smooth. Garnish with whipped topping and drizzle ounce of green creme de menthe on top. Makes one tall glass.

Non-Alcoholic Version of Blarney Blaster

1 ounce vanilla syrup
1 ounce milk
1 ounce honey
3 scoops vanilla ice cream
¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
3 drops green food coloring, optional
Add ingredients into blender and blend until smooth. Garnish with whipped topping. Makes 1 tall glass.

glockmail
02-28-2010, 09:01 PM
An Irish seven course meal:

A six-pack and a potato. \

:lol:

Shadow
02-28-2010, 09:28 PM
^^ Irish Saying...

An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass to keep from falling off the earth.

Another...

When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk, we fall asleep. When we fall asleep, we commit no sin. When we commit no sin, we go to Heaven. So, let's all get drunk and go to heaven.

Irish Toast...

Here’s to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold beer – and another one!

Another...

May your glass be ever full,
May the roof over your head be always strong,
And may you be in heaven
Half an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

Shadow
03-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Banoffee (Irish Dessert)

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 bananas, sliced
2 cups heavy whipping cream

Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar, butter and ginger until well blended. Press mixture into a 9- inch pie plate. Cool in refrigerator.

Pour sweetened condensed milk into a 9-inch pie plate. Cover with aluminum foil; place in larger shallow pan. Fill larger pan with very hot water. Bake at 425 degrees F for 1 hour or until thick and caramel-colored. Beat until smooth. Let cool for 15 minutes. Pour toffee into pie crust. Allow to cool.

Slice bananas over toffee.

Whip 2 cups of cream and spoon it on top of bananas.

Refrigerate before serving.

Shadow
03-04-2010, 05:41 AM
Frozen Thin-Mint Grasshopper Pie
(From Woman's Day magazine)

INGREDIENTS:

1 box (8.81 oz) dark-chocolate thin mints (such as After Eight)
1 1/4 cups heavy (whipping) cream
One 6-oz ready-to-fill chocolate crumb crust
25 large marshmallows
1/4 cup each white crème de cacao and green crème de menthe
Garnish: whipped cream, thin mints and mint sprigs

PREPARATION:

1. Reserve 4 thin mints for garnish. Put remaining 26 mints in a small saucepan; add 2 Tbsp cream. Stir over medium-low heat 1 to 2 minutes until melted and smooth. (Or microwave in a 4-cup glass measure about 1 minute.) Pour into crumb crust and place in freezer to cool until firm, about 30 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, put marshmallows and crème de cacao in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir with a whisk 4 to 5 minutes until melted and smooth. Whisk in crème de menthe; place in freezer to cool about 10 minutes.

3. Put remaining cream in a large, deep bowl. Beat with mixer until stiff peaks form when beaters are lifted. Whisk cooled liqueur mixture to recombine, then fold into the cream until well blended. Pour over thin-mint layer. Cover and freeze at least 24 hours.

4. Just before serving: Garnish. To make clean cuts, use a long, sharp knife, and dip in hot water between cuts.

Shadow
03-04-2010, 05:43 AM
Killarney Jelly

Ingredients:

6 tart green apples
1 cup sugar, granulated
2 tablespoons powdered sugar (if making own whipped cream or meringue)
1 envelope gelatin
3 1/2 cups cold water (split into a 3 cup measure and a 1/2 cup measure)
1/2 cup sweetened whipped cream or 1 egg white
1/2 cup lemon juice, strained
1/2 cup nut meats (almonds or pistachio or peanuts)
green vegetable coloring

Directions:

Soak gelatin in 1/2 cup cold water.
Do not pare or core apples. Cut up in slices with the skin and the core.
Cook the apples in the remaining water until they are pulpy. Strain off the apple juice without squeezing.
Dissolve the softened gelatin in the apple juice.
Add the granulated sugar and stir until dissolved.
Add the strained lemon juice and enough food coloring to make the liquid a sparkling green.
Wet a shallow mold with ice water. Strain the liquid again as it is being poured into the mold. Chill overnight.
When ready to serve lift up jelly in irregular pieces with a fork to look like rippled water. Pile nuts at regular intervals and decorate with sweetened whipped cream or meringue made with egg white.

Note: You will need a shallow mold to chill and serve.

Shadow
03-04-2010, 05:56 AM
Irish Blessing:

May the lilt of Irish laughter Lighten every load
May the mist of Irish magic Shorten every road
May you taste the sweetest pleasures That fortune ere bestowed
And may all your friends remember,all the favors you are owed.

Another...

May you have warm words on a cold evening,
A full moon on a dark night,
And the road downhill all the way to your door

one more...

May your neighbors respect you,
Trouble neglect you,
The angels protect you,
And heaven accept you.

chloe
03-04-2010, 06:14 AM
Irish Blessing:

May the lilt of Irish laughter Lighten every load
May the mist of Irish magic Shorten every road
May you taste the sweetest pleasures That fortune ere bestowed
And may all your friends remember,all the favors you are owed.

Another...

May you have warm words on a cold evening,
A full moon on a dark night,
And the road downhill all the way to your door

one more...

May your neighbors respect you,
Trouble neglect you,
The angels protect you,
And heaven accept you.

That's a lovely sentiment Shadow, thanks for sharing it, just what I needed this morning with my insomnia hitting week 2 now.

Shadow
03-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Insomnia is the worst! I hate the way my body feels when I can't sleep at night. Someone once told me that when you are having trouble sleeping to eat bananas because they have both melatonin and serotonin...which helps the body induce sleep. So I try to do that and take warm baths to relax....but I know sometimes nothing helps at all. Hope you feel better soon!

chloe
03-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Insomnia is the worst! I hate the way my body feels when I can't sleep at night. Someone once told me that when you are having trouble sleeping to eat bananas because they have both melatonin and serotonin...which helps the body induce sleep. So I try to do that and take warm baths to relax....but I know sometimes nothing helps at all. Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks Shadow I wil try that.

Shadow
03-05-2010, 11:16 PM
St. Pat's Potato Candy
(Disney Family Fun Magazine)

Yes, there really is potato in this classic Irish treat, though you'd never know by tasting. Rolled in coconut, these mini spud-shaped sweets make a perfect St. Patrick's Day dessert.

Ingredients:

1 large potato
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 to 5 cups confectioners' sugar
5 cups sweetened coconut flakes

Instructions:

Peel the potato and boil it in water until soft. In a mixing bowl, mash the cooked potato with the salt and butter. Then -- this is key -- let it cool completely, or else it will melt the sugar when you add it.

Mix in the vanilla extract and 4 cups of sugar. At this point, the mixture should be stiff. If it isn't, add more sugar.

Sprinkle half of the coconut onto a waxed-paper-covered surface and turn the potato mixture onto it. Roll the batter until all of the coconut has been mixed in, then shape teaspoonfuls into small balls.

Roll the balls individually in the remaining coconut. Chill the finished candies until you're ready to serve them. Makes about 4 dozen.

Mr. P
03-05-2010, 11:40 PM
St. Pat's Potato Candy
(Disney Family Fun Magazine)

Yes, there really is potato in this classic Irish treat, though you'd never know by tasting. Rolled in coconut, these mini spud-shaped sweets make a perfect St. Patrick's Day dessert.

Ingredients:

1 large potato
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 to 5 cups confectioners' sugar
5 cups sweetened coconut flakes

Instructions:

Peel the potato and boil it in water until soft. In a mixing bowl, mash the cooked potato with the salt and butter. Then -- this is key -- let it cool completely, or else it will melt the sugar when you add it.

Mix in the vanilla extract and 4 cups of sugar. At this point, the mixture should be stiff. If it isn't, add more sugar.

Sprinkle half of the coconut onto a waxed-paper-covered surface and turn the potato mixture onto it. Roll the batter until all of the coconut has been mixed in, then shape teaspoonfuls into small balls.

Roll the balls individually in the remaining coconut. Chill the finished candies until you're ready to serve them. Makes about 4 dozen.

This begs for some green food coloring. :)

Shadow
03-05-2010, 11:52 PM
Yeah,but that would make them look like you dropped them in the grass before serving them.

Shadow
03-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Boxty - Irish Potato Cakes Recipe

Ingredients :

1 cup raw, grated potatoes
1 cup leftover mashed potatoes
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup (about) milk to mix
Butter or oil for frying
Sugar or Sweetner (to taste)

Preparation :

Place the grated raw potatoes in a clean cloth and twist to remove excess moisture.
Whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder.
Combine flour mixture into raw potatoes, mashed potatoes, and eggs. Add enough mix to make a batter.
Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat and add butter or oil. Drop potato batter by the tablespoon into the hot pan. Brown on both sides (about 4 minutes per side). Butter each boxty and serve hot with or without sugar.

Yield: 4 servings

Shadow
03-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Reuben Casserole

Ingredients :

3/4 cup cubed rye bread
2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
1 1/2 cups milk

1/2 cup finely chopped onions
3/4 lb deli sliced corned beef, chopped or leftover corned beef brisket, sliced and chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
32 ounces sauerkraut, drained
2 medium baking potatoes, thinly sliced
2 cups shredded swiss cheese
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Preparation :

Heat oven to 250. Arrange bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet.
Toast in the oven until dry. Crush or process cubes in a food processor until you have medium crumbs; set aside.
Increase oven temperature to 350.
In large bowl, mix together cream of mushroom soup, milk, onion, corned beef, dry mustard and sugar. Set aside.
Spread sauerkraut evenly in bottom of a lightly greased 9x13" baking dish.
Place potatoes in single layer, slightly overlapping, over 'kraut.
Spoon soup mixture over potatoes and top with cheese.
In small bowl, combine melted butter with rye bread crumbs, and sprinkle mixture over cheese.
Cover and bake 50 minutes. Remove cover and bake 10 minutes more.

Shadow
03-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Godiva Irish Freeze

1 1/2 ounces Godiva Liqueur
3/4 ounce Irish Cream Liqueur

Combine over crushed ice in a snifter or rocks glass.

Shadow
03-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Irish Shillelagh

1/2 lemon juice
1 teaspoon powdered sugar
1 1/2 ounces Irish whiskey
1/2 ounce Old Mr. Boston sloe gin
1/2 ounce Old Mr. Boston imported rum
2 slices peach
raspberries -- garnish
strawberries -- garnish
cherry -- garnish

Shake well with cracked ice and strain into 5 ounce punch glass. Decorate with fresh raspberries, strawberries and a cherry.

Shadow
03-07-2010, 06:02 PM
Irish Whisky Cocktail

1/2 teaspoon curacao
1/2 teaspoon absinthe substitute
1/4 teaspoon maraschino
1 dash bitters
2 ounces Irish whiskey
olive

Stir well with cracked ice and strain into 3 ounce cocktail glass. Serve with an olive.

Shadow
03-11-2010, 11:48 PM
Irish Chicken and Dumplings

Ingredients:

2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
3 cups water
1 cup chopped celery
2 onions, quartered
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
5 carrots, sliced
1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas
4 potatoes, quartered
3 cups baking mix
1 1/3 cups milk

Directions:

In large, heavy pot, combine soup, water, chicken, celery, onion, salt, poultry seasoning, and pepper. Cover and cook over low heat about 1 1/2 hours.

Add potatoes and carrots; cover and cook another 30 minutes.
Remove chicken from pot, shred it, and return to pot. Add peas and cook only 5 minutes longer.

Add dumplings. To make dumplings: Mix baking mix and milk until a soft dough forms. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto BOILING stew. Simmer covered for 10 minutes, then uncover and simmer an additional 10 minutes.

Shadow
03-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Emerald Isle

Ingredients:

1 oz gin
1 tsp crème de menthe, green
2 dashes bitters

Preparation:

Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice cubes.
Shake well.

Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

Shadow
03-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Irish Cactus

Ingredients:

2 oz Irish cream liqueur
1 oz tequila

Preparation:

Pour the ingredients into an old-fashioned glass with ice.

Stir.

Shadow
03-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Everybody's Irish

Ingredients:

2 oz Irish whiskey
1 Tbsp crème de menthe, green
1 Tbsp Chartreuse, green
cocktail olive for garnish

Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice cubes.
Shake well.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Garnish with olive.

Shadow
03-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Irish Eyes

Ingredients:

1 oz Irish whiskey
1/4 oz crème de menthe, green
2 oz cream
maraschino cherry for garnish

Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice cubes.
Shake well.
Strain into an old-fashioned glass.
Garnish with marashino cherry.

Shadow
03-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Top 10 hotels to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day

Holiday festivities take place in the Ireland, the U.S. and beyond

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35836053/ns/travel-destinations/

Shadow
03-13-2010, 04:30 PM
Irish Cabbage and Potato Slaw

2 medium white potatoes (8 oz.), peeled and cut in 1/2” slices
1 small Savoy cabbage (about 1 1/4 lb.) or 1/2 medium head green cabbage
1 carrot, shredded
4 scallions, green part only, chopped
2 Tbsp. distilled white vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. dry mustard powder
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper, or to taste
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1/4 cup fat-free or low-fat buttermilk

Place potatoes in a medium saucepan. Cover with cold water to a depth of 2 inches. Cook over medium-high heat. When the potatoes still have some resistance to a thin knife, drain them. Cut them into 1/2” strips and set aside.

While potatoes cook, quarter the cabbage, cut away the core and shred into 1/2-inch strips. (There should be about 6 cups.) Place cabbage in a large mixing bowl. Add carrots and scallions.

In a small bowl, combine vinegar, mustard powder, sugar, salt and pepper, mixing until sugar dissolves. Mix in the oil. Pour dressing over vegetables. Using hands, mix to coat vegetables with dressing. Add potatoes and mix again. Cover slaw and set aside for 15 minutes to wilt cabbage.

Pour in buttermilk and mix again. Cover and refrigerate slaw until ready to serve, or up to 6 hours. The slaw is best when the cabbage and carrots still have some crunch.

Shadow
03-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Pistachio Nut Bundt Cake

1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
2 (3.4 ounce) packages instant pistachio pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch Bundt pan.

In a medium bowl, stir together the cake mix and instant pudding. Add the sour cream, oil and eggs, mix well. Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. Combine the brown sugar, walnuts and cinnamon, sprinkle over the batter in the pan. Cover with the remaining batter.

Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 15 minutes in pan before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely. When cake is cooled, dust with confectioners' sugar.

Shadow
03-14-2010, 04:00 PM
10 Great Places to Find a Lucky Charm

Wednesday might be St. Patrick's Day, but you don't have to be Irish to be favored by fortune. Whether you smooch them, tickle them or jitterbug around them, good-luck monuments can leave you feeling, well, lucky.

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/st-patricks-day-luck-10-great-places-find/story?id=10079434

Shadow
03-16-2010, 09:56 AM
Shamrock Shake
Serves 2

1 cup skim milk
3/4 cup frozen mango
2 ice cubes
1/4 cup loosely packed baby spinach
1/4 cup toasted almonds
1 tablespoon ground flax
3 teaspoons granulated sugar

Place the milk, mango, ice, spinach, almonds, flax and sugar in a blender. Process until smooth and serve immediately.

To spike the shake, add one shot of vodka before blending.

http://www.slashfood.com/2010/03/12/shamrock-shake/?icid=main|hp-desktop|dl9|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.slashfood.com%2 F2010%2F03%2F12%2Fshamrock-shake%2F

Shadow
03-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Green Dublin Apple Cocktail

Ingredients:

2 oz Michael Collins Irish whiskey
1 oz sour apple schnapps
2 oz white cranberry juice
Apple slices

Preparation:

Add all three ingredients in a cocktail shaker.
Add ice, shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
Strain into a chilled martini glass.
Garnish with a fresh apple slice.

Shadow
03-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Irish Gold

Ingredients:

2 parts Tullamore Dew Irish Whiskey
2 parts ginger ale
1/2 part peach schnapps
splash of orange juice
lime wheel for garnish

Preparation:

Build the whiskey, schnapps and juice in a Collins glass filled with ice.
Top with ginger ale.
Garnish with a lime wheel.

Shadow
03-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Guinness and Bailey Irish Cupcakes

Ingredients
1 cup stout (Guinness)
16 tbsp. unsalted butter
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
11/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup sour cream
For the Baileys ganache filling:
8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
2/3 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp. butter, at room temperature
2 tsp. Baileys Irish cream
For the Baileys butter cream frosting:
8 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
3-4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
4-8 tbsp. Bailey's Irish cream

Cooking Directions
Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line two cupcake pans with paper liners. Combine the stout and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the cocoa powder and whisk until smooth. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the eggs and sour cream to blend. Add the stout-butter mixture and beat just to combine. Mix in the dry ingredients on low speed just until incorporated.

Divide the batter evenly between the cupcake liners, filling them about 2/3 to 3/4 full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 17 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. To make the ganache filling, place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl.

Heat the cream in a small saucepan until simmering, then pour it over the chocolate. Let sit for one minute and then whisk until smooth. If the chocolate is not completely melted, place the bowl over a double boiler or give it a very short burst in the microwave (15-20 seconds). Add the butter and Baileys and stir until combined. Set aside to let the ganache cool until it is thick enough to be piped.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe?id=9036047

Shadow
03-17-2010, 02:29 PM
10 Things You Didn't Know About St. Patrick's Day

We're all a little Irish on St. Patrick's Day. From shamrocks to snakes, Guinness to the Blarney Stone, TIME takes a look at some of the lesser-known facts about the world's favorite Irish holiday

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1972553_1972551,00.html?hpt=Mid

Shadow
03-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Healthy recipe: Beef and Guinness Stew
Cooking Light Magazine

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
1 tablespoon butter, divided
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 pounds boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 teaspoon salt, divided
5 cups chopped onion (about 3 onions)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
4 cups fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
1 (11.2-ounce) bottle Guinness Draught
1 tablespoon raisins
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 cups (1/2-inch-thick) diagonal slices carrot (about 8 ounces)
1 1/2 cups (1/2-inch-thick) diagonal slices parsnip (about 8 ounces)
1 cup (1/2-inch) cubed peeled turnip (about 8 ounces)
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Preparation:

1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons butter to pan.

2. Place flour in a shallow dish. Sprinkle beef with 1/2 teaspoon salt; dredge beef in flour.

3. Add half of beef to pan; cook 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove beef from pan with a slotted spoon.

4. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 1 1/2 teaspoons butter, and beef.

5. Add onion to pan; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.

6. Stir in tomato paste; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.

7. Stir in broth and beer, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Return meat to pan.

8. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, raisins, caraway seeds, and pepper; bring to a boil.

9. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

10. Uncover and bring to a boil. Cook 50 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add carrot, parsnip, and turnip.

11. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

12. Uncover and bring to a boil; cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with parsley.

Shadow
03-17-2010, 06:34 PM
Leprechaun Lore: The History Behind the Famed Green Mischief-Makers

As revelers across the world celebrate St. Patrick's Day, they will embrace classic symbols like the shamrock and the leprechaun. But what exactly are leprechauns, and how did the famed green figures of folklore come into existence?

The original leprechaun was not the top-hat wearing, pipe-smoking, green clad sprite of modern day.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/03/17/leprechaun-lore-history-famed-mischief-makers/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%253A+foxnews%252Fworld+%2528Text +-+World%2529