View Full Version : Tea Parties At 1 Year

Kathianne
02-28-2010, 08:36 AM
Surprisingly decent article in NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/28/us/politics/28keli.html

February 27, 2010
Unlikely Activist Who Got to the Tea Party Early
By KATE ZERNIKE
SEATTLE — Keli Carender has a pierced nose, performs improv on weekends and lives here in a neighborhood with more Mexican grocers than coffeehouses. You might mistake her for the kind of young person whose vote powered President Obama to the White House. You probably would not think of her as a Tea Party type.

But leaders of the Tea Party movement credit her with being the first.

A year ago, frustrated that every time she called her senators to urge them to vote against the $787 billion stimulus bill their mailboxes were full, and tired of wearing out the ear of her Obama-voting fiancé, Ms. Carender decided to hold a protest against what she called the “porkulus.”

She also called someone she had met at an election results watch party, who agreed to spread the word among Republicans. She called a conservative local radio host, who put in a plug. And she sent an e-mail message to the conservative writer Michelle Malkin, who agreed to announce the protest on her blog and even sent some pulled pork to feed the crowd.

The porkulus protest did not draw enough people to finish the pulled pork, which Ms. Carender took to a homeless shelter. But she collected e-mail addresses, remembering that Senator Barack Obama had done that at events as he prepared to run for president.

The “tea party” label came three days later, from a rant the CNBC correspondent Rick Santelli delivered from the floor of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, and the nationwide protests followed....

“Well,” she said, thinking for a long time and then sighing. “Let’s see. Some days I’m very Randian. I feel like there shouldn’t be any of those programs, that it should all be charitable organizations. Sometimes I think, well, maybe it really should be just state, and there should be no federal part in it at all. I bounce around in my solutions to the problem.”

She, like many Tea Party members, resists the idea of a Tea Party leader — “there are a thousand leaders,” she says.

Glenn Beck? “He can be a Tea Partier, but it’s not like the movement bends to him.”

Sarah Palin? She will have to campaign on Tea Party ideas if she wants Tea Party support, Ms. Carender said, adding, “And if she were elected, she’d have to govern on those principles or be fired.”...

krisy
02-28-2010, 09:17 AM
Good article! No knocks in there at all!!

My mom and stepdad are tea party members. We are supposed to go to the next rally in the area.

Kathianne
02-28-2010, 09:24 AM
Good article! No knocks in there at all!!

My mom and stepdad are tea party members. We are supposed to go to the next rally in the area.

Yep, surprisingly good. I'm on IL tea party board, not seeing lots of swell here, but after next election? Could happen if Obama stays as is.

Gaffer
02-28-2010, 09:54 AM
Yep, surprisingly good. I'm on IL tea party board, not seeing lots of swell here, but after next election? Could happen if Obama stays as is.

You have to deal with the daly machine, so that makes it more difficult there.

Kathianne
02-28-2010, 09:57 AM
You have to deal with the daly machine, so that makes it more difficult there.

That may be part, though I think it has more to do with real support for Obama here, favorite son and all that. I don't get it, but often don't. ;)