PDA

View Full Version : For Marijuana?

Kathianne
02-28-2010, 06:40 PM
Wrong on so many levels:

http://reason.com/blog/2010/02/27/swat-team-endangers-child-pare

SWAT Team Endangers Child, Parents Charged With Child Endangerment
Radley Balko | February 27, 2010

SWAT team breaks into home, fires seven rounds at family's pit bull and corgi (?!) as a seven-year-old looks on.

They found a "small amount" of marijuana, enough for a misdemeanor charge. The parents were then charged with child endangerment...

Noir
02-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Need more details on the story, there must have been good reason for a SWAT team to enter a house armed. Just because all they were able to pin on the people was the Cannabis does not mean that's why they went in.

Kathianne
02-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Need more details on the story, there must have been good reason for a SWAT team to enter a house armed. Just because all they were able to pin on the people was the Cannabis does not mean that's why they went in.

I take it you did not read the linked article at site?

...SWAT Team Endangers Child, Parents Charged With Child Endangerment
Radley Balko | February 27, 2010

SWAT team breaks into home, fires seven rounds at family's pit bull and corgi (?!) as a seven-year-old looks on.

They found a "small amount" of marijuana, enough for a misdemeanor charge. The parents were then charged with child endangerment...

..Drug distributors traditionally have a history with firearms, which is why the SWAT team is used when executing such warrants, Haden said. If the SWAT team believed they could have executed the warrant successfully during the daytime when the wife and child were not present, they would have, she said.

Kathianne
02-28-2010, 06:53 PM
The 'state' is always right. :rolleyes:

Noir
02-28-2010, 07:00 PM
I take it you did not read the linked article at site?

Indeedy, i didn't realise it was a hyperlink,

I'm still amazed they'd use a SWAT team for such a run of the mill operation, but i guess.
I assume there will be some sort of enquiry into this as power is clearly being abused,

revelarts
02-28-2010, 07:00 PM

they may have believed they had a good reason. But , right, based on what's above there's no way to tell. It may have just been a wrong address, malicious anonymous tip, or the very worse case and lest likely (but still possible) someone in local gov't has vendetta against them. Without more facts no way to tell either way. i used to give police the beny of the doubt but those days are long over for me. Just the facts ma'am.

Kathianne
02-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Indeedy, i didn't realise it was a hyperlink,

I'm still amazed they'd use a SWAT team for such a run of the mill operation, but i guess.
I assume there will be some sort of enquiry into this as power is clearly being abused,

The use and abuse of police powers varies from one area to another. It's stories like this though that have given police a bad name.

Shooting pets after storming a house? In front of a 5 year old? Sick.

Even if there had been a large quantity of marijuana, and the article states that is what they were entering for, seems a knock first would have been the way to go. Seems they knew wife and kid were there.

revelarts
02-28-2010, 09:53 PM
http://www.justdogbreeds.com/images/breeds/pembroke-welsh-corgi.jpg
Why would a SWAT team shoot this dog? :dunno:

krisy
02-28-2010, 10:00 PM

I was wondering the same thing. Corgis are good natured and fairy small dogs,pretty short.

Binky
03-01-2010, 12:24 AM
I was wondering the same thing. Corgis are good natured and fairy small dogs,pretty short.

Maybe it was barking and wouldn't stop so a cop went nuts and shot it....Sound feasible?

hjmick
03-01-2010, 12:35 AM
It's time they legalize the stuff.

darin
03-01-2010, 11:36 AM
I detest the war on drugs. It's a sham

chesswarsnow
03-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Sorry bout that,

1. I have to stand against all drugs used for getting high, whatever it be.
2. Its what *losers* do.
3. So if you do drugs to get high,..then guess what,..you're a *loser*.
4. Look how its already affecting California, they have laws that protect potheads for medical reasons,..Hahahahahah!!!!!:laugh2:
5. There is not a real medical reason to smoke pot.
6. Its just a *losers* point of veiw, and I don't roll with it.
7. Look at how its California thats just about gone bamkrupted,...there's a reason for it, cater to *losers* you become a State of *losers*.
8. I say get serious with the war on drugs, all our futures depend on it, and so does the childrens, and their children.
9. The lack of morality is a something that tends to spread.
10. So if you got druggies wondering around on dope, it will effect the whole reality.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

darin
03-01-2010, 12:05 PM
See, I'm about 'freedom' - including the freedom of an adult to decide what they put into their body. I have conservative values, based on christianity, yet i do not want the government enforcing them. Lets put the millions, billions? spent on the 'war on drugs' into health care reform, government employee raises (had to get that one in there), Better training for our Soldiers, etc, and other important stuff.

hjmick
03-01-2010, 01:30 PM
See, I'm about 'freedom' - including the freedom of an adult to decide what they put into their body. I have conservative values, based on christianity, yet i do not want the government enforcing them. Lets put the millions, billions? spent on the 'war on drugs' into health care reform, government employee raises (had to get that one in there), Better training for our Soldiers, etc, and other important stuff.

Hear hear.

The WoD has been less effective than prohibition, yet they continue to throw good money after bad. What's the definition of insanity?

hjmick
03-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Sorry bout that,

2. Its what *losers* do.
4. Look how its already affecting California, they have laws that protect potheads for medical reasons,..Hahahahahah!!!!!:laugh2:
7. Look at how its California thats just about gone bamkrupted,...there's a reason for it, cater to *losers* you become a State of *losers*.
8. I say get serious with the war on drugs, all our futures depend on it, and so does the childrens, and their children.
10. So if you got druggies wondering around on dope, it will effect the whole reality.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

I trust then, James, that you also favor reinstating Prohibition era laws regarding alcohol?

HogTrash
03-01-2010, 04:51 PM
The war on drugs has been ten times as destructive to America as the drugs have been, not to mention the assaults to our civil rghts it has brought about.

You would of thought the 18 Amendment that criminilized the manufacture and sale of alchohol in America from 1920 too 1933 would have been a good lesson.

Kathianne
03-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Common ground for most of us. Legalize marijuana, collect the taxes. Stop the nonsense of no-knocks for something people have done forever. Wouldn't be a drug of choice for myself, but it is for many. Haven't seen how it's worse than booze, fewer seem addicted-physically or psychologically.

chesswarsnow
03-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Sorry bout that,

I trust then, James, that you also favor reinstating Prohibition era laws regarding alcohol?

1. No, not at all, booze isn't near as bad as dope.
2. Booze you can do some really stupid while drinking thou.
3. Unless your a blotzoid, you can drink a little and not become a *loser*.
4. You start smokin pot or doing drugs, your a automatic *loser*.
5. In my opinion.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

actsnoblemartin
03-01-2010, 05:14 PM
cause they are ASSHOLES, with NO heart

:fu: them

hjmick
03-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. No, not at all, booze isn't near as bad as dope.
2. Booze you can do some really stupid while drinking thou.
3. Unless your a blotzoid, you can drink a little and not become a *loser*.
4. You start smokin pot or doing drugs, your a automatic *loser*.
5. In my opinion.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

I beg to differ, James. Studies have shown that alcohol is much more addictive than marijuana. In 2001, there were more than 300 deaths due to alcohol poisoning, zero deaths linked to marijuana overdose. Studies find alcohol use contributes to the likelihood of domestic violence and sexual assault and marijuana use does not. There has never been a documented case of lung cancer in a marijuana-only smoker, whereas alcohol has multiple adverse health consequences, including but not limited to, liver cirrhosis and various cancers.

There are many more examples that favor marijuana over alcohol, but you get the point. You know, Carl Sagan was a pot smoker. Quite the loser he was.

Jeff
03-01-2010, 06:27 PM

:thumb:

Excellent post

krisy
03-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Don't know that everyone that smokes pot is like this....but everyone I have ever known that smokes it has been a bum who is so addicted they even have to smoke it at lunchtime at work. If they work. Most of them don't and can think of nothing but their next joint. They walk around looking like they just woke up.

Again,not saying if YOU smoke you are a bum,just the people that I have known in the past. I don't have a problem with people who are truly in pain using it for a medical condition tho.

darin
03-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Krisy - there is no cause- and-effect with what you've experienced.

Jeff
03-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Don't know that everyone that smokes pot is like this....but everyone I have ever known that smokes it has been a bum who is so addicted they even have to smoke it at lunchtime at work. If they work. Most of them don't and can think of nothing but their next joint. They walk around looking like they just woke up.

Again,not saying if YOU smoke you are a bum,just the people that I have known in the past. I don't have a problem with people who are truly in pain using it for a medical condition tho.

Krisy it all depends on the person, I no longer smoke it cause of my job, ( have to be able to feed the youngins) but when I did, 1 joint would last me most of the day, true I smoked it on the way to work at break and at lunch, but 2 or 3 hits just to get a mellow high, I smoked it for years and provided for my family all along, I also know a lot of folk that get high and are dead beats, but I also know some that don't get high and are dead beats

chesswarsnow
03-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. Carl was a nutter if you asked me.
2. Don't ask me and I won't be telling you,...:laugh2:
3. He was a dreamer, like John Lennon, he's not the only one.
4. Lennon had raw talent, at least.
5. Sagan had,........not sure.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

krisy
03-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Krisy it all depends on the person, I no longer smoke it cause of my job, ( have to be able to feed the youngins) but when I did, 1 joint would last me most of the day, true I smoked it on the way to work at break and at lunch, but 2 or 3 hits just to get a mellow high, I smoked it for years and provided for my family all along, I also know a lot of folk that get high and are dead beats, but I also know some that don't get high and are dead beats

Fair enough. Sounds like you were fully functional. I have to be honest tho.....I have a big problem with people smoking it and driving. I don't belive that someone can be as alert as poosible after smoking one. I know people drive while sleepy,kids screaming in the car and various other distractions,but this just feels wrong to me. I have given it a lot thought because of a local radio talk show host who is for legalizing most drugs. He hasn't changed my mind.

I also believe that inhaling any kind of smoke into your lungs is harmful. Just saw a story on the news the other day where a doc was saying pot smoke isn't any bettr than cig smoke.

Now don't think I'm picking on anyone...I smoke cigarettes,but don't drink or use any kind of drugs. I'm sure I sound like a party pooper!!!:eek:

Jeff
03-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Fair enough. Sounds like you were fully functional. I have to be honest tho.....I have a big problem with people smoking it and driving. I don't belive that someone can be as alert as poosible after smoking one. I know people drive while sleepy,kids screaming in the car and various other distractions,but this just feels wrong to me. I have given it a lot thought because of a local radio talk show host who is for legalizing most drugs. He hasn't changed my mind.

I also believe that inhaling any kind of smoke into your lungs is harmful. Just saw a story on the news the other day where a doc was saying pot smoke isn't any bettr than cig smoke.

Now don't think I'm picking on anyone...I smoke cigarettes,but don't drink or use any kind of drugs. I'm sure I sound like a party pooper!!!:eek:

You are 100% correct, it does impair you, and with all the idiots on the road god knows ya don't need another distraction , but yes I am guilty of doing so when I was younger, but I also drank and drove, I now thank God I never killed anyone

chesswarsnow
03-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. You should stop smoking now, do it now!:laugh2:
2. Also you sound very logical.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

krisy
03-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. You should stop smoking now, do it now!:laugh2:
2. Also you sound very logical.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

I know,I know. I think about quting all the time. It weighs heavily on me. My kids lecture me quite a bit!!!

Thank you for the compliment;)

krisy
03-01-2010, 08:30 PM
You are 100% correct, it does impair you, and with all the idiots on the road god knows ya don't need another distraction , but yes I am guilty of doing so when I was younger, but I also drank and drove, I now thank God I never killed anyone

Whew!!! Glad you agreed with me on that one:laugh2: I had more than one argument years ago with friends who thought it was o.k. to drive and smoke.

I'm glad you don't anymore!:thumb:

Jeff
03-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Whew!!! Glad you agreed with me on that one:laugh2: I had more than one argument years ago with friends who thought it was o.k. to drive and smoke.

I'm glad you don't anymore!:thumb:

I am glad also, hell I use to do it in a big truck, till I failed a pee test, LOL, that kind of ended it for me :laugh2:

Sitarro
03-02-2010, 05:00 AM
I smoked pot for 35 years, enjoyed it a great deal. When I was younger, I was the idiot smoker that would smoke large joints with friends...... too much, a lot like how young people over drink. When I matured I realized it was the quality rather than the quantity I was more interested in. I would smoke a pinch hitter, a small pipe that would provide maybe two hits, that was perfect. Didn't make me sleepy but helped me concentrate on a single task. I never wrecked a car while smoking, drove the speed limit and was much more careful than when driving straight. When I had pot to smoke I never drank, don't really like that high.

It's hilarious to read anyone state that alcohol is less dangerous than grass, alcohol is almost always involved in domestic abuse, a huge percentage of vehicular manslaughter, numerous diseases, fights and violence in general, unintended pregnancy, suicides and incredibly stupid decisions. What I always hated about alcohol was the sloppiness and lack of coordination that goes with it. There was never any way I could work while drinking. Painting, drawing, photography, writing..... pretty munch anything creative....... for me, are enhanced by smoking a small amount of pot. Listening to music is a completely different experience as well as playing it after smoking a small amount. Paul McCartney is hardly a loser, he is easily one of the most prolific writers of all types of music ever. He is pretty well known for his pot smoking.

The assumption that people that smoke pot become Cheech and Chong like is as stupid as the assumption that all conservatives are racist, evangelical and poorly educated people that want to run everyone's lives. But then what would I know, I tried almost every kind of drug that was available in the 70s and 80s including many different forms of alcohol, the only one I actually liked a lot was pot....... like I said, I literally smoked some almost every day for 35 years and yet quit without looking back, without any kind of withdrawal, any side affects at all, to get a job I wanted. Haven't smoked any for almost 4 years, rarely drink anything but wine now and then.... but now smoke cigars and pipe tobacco. They've tried to take that freedom away but not yet, soon I'm sure.

The "drug war" is a joke that isn't funny. It has ruined as many lives as the drugs they are supposedly trying to eradicate. There is a demand for them and always will be. Legalization would make them less interesting, destroy the organizations that make billions a year selling them on the black market and make room in prisons for people that really need to be there. Education is more important, taught by those that actually know what they are talking about, those that have been there and know the real damage that comes from seriously hard drugs.

By the way, I did some of the most powerful acid available for Mardi Gras in New Orleans 33 years ago, I remember the entire day, wouldn't think of doing it again and yet will tell you that valium is the worst drug besides alcohol I ever tried...... you know, the prescription drug that was given to millions of house wives for years.

Krisy, I'm curious, do you talk on the phone while you drive? I find the addiction to cellphone's has become epidemic and is easily the worst thing to happen to society. Sure, they have some positive uses but are highly addictive to some and have become a huge problem for all of us. I would have no problem banning them in a moving car or in most public places. I find them to be more obnoxious than cigarette smoke and I hate cigarette smoke.

krisy
03-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Sitarro, I'm with ya on the cell phones. I have one,and at times it drives me berserk! I have talked on the phone while driving....but rarely. I never,ever text while driving.....that is soooo wrong imo.

Just wanted to mention again(since there are apparently a few pot smokers on the board)....I don't have anything against anyone who smokes pot. I have my opinon about it,but don't really care if you do it on your time in your house. None of my business!!! I was thinking about this last night and remebered I had run into a guy that was friends with my husband and I when we were teenagers. He had a family an was doing well,works hard. He told me he still smokes it,and his kids found some stashed in the drawer:laugh2: They are teenagers. He made something up to them,like it belonged to a friend. He seemed totally functional and was doing well.

It's just not my thing,never has been.

DragonStryk72
03-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Sorry bout that,

2. Its what *losers* do.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Actually, there are numerous proven medical benefits to marijuana, but yes it also makes you high. It is not physically addictive, like cigarettes or alcohol, doesn't have nearly the occurrence of lung cancer as cigs. So really, if you want to oppose pot, you need to go ahead and be for the banning of cigarettes and alcohol, since they are far more lethal than pot ever has been.

chesswarsnow
03-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. Well I love Paul McCartney, but he is a loser in some ways if you asked me.
2. Recently he married a broad or devorced a broad, who was a total biotch, who took him for a loss of some 100 million bucks.
3. He can afford it and all, but what was his attaction to this *women*?
4. Many performers use pot, its a given, but its not doing them as a person much good.
5. It may help them perform, or write songs, or relax at times, but it is false, its a drug, and its not good for the *person* or the *spiritual person* if thats the case, which more likely not, for Paul.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

chesswarsnow
03-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. Well its starting to tighten up in Calif.
2. Laws are being flipped.
3. Pot Stores are being shut down.
4. Ahhhhhhh,....!
5. Link and Sample:http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6220BC20100303

"Provisions largely banning dispensaries from residential and commercial areas and giving them a week to find a new location once the law takes effect constitute a violation of due process rights, the lawsuit says.

"The requirement to find a new location within seven days is completely unreasonable," said Joe Elford, chief counsel for the group Americans for Safe Access, who filed the suit in Los Angeles Superior Court on behalf of two dispensaries.

The statute, passed by the City Council on January 26 and signed into law a week later by Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, cannot be implemented before March 14, and only after separate action is taken to establish application fees. That may take several more weeks.

The lawsuit seeks a court order barring the measure from taking effect, and Elford's group called on city leaders to negotiate a compromise.

The exact number of dispensaries in the city is not clear. Estimates range from about 500 to to 1,000, with most of those opened after the Obama administration halted federal raids on medical marijuana clinics last year.

If the new law takes effect, all but about 140 dispensaries licensed before a brief moratorium in 2007 will be required to shut down. Those that remain would have to move at least 1,000 feet from schools, public parks, libraries and places of worship.

They also would be prohibited from being located next door to, across the street or across an alley from homes."

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Kathianne
03-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Related and makes the point:

http://reason.com/archives/2010/03/04/keep-your-laws-off-my-body

Keep Your Laws Off My Body

The case for legalizing drugs, prostitution, organ sales, and other consensual acts.

John Stossel | March 4, 2010

"It's a free country."

That's a popular saying—and true in many ways. But for a free country, America does ban a lot of things that are perfectly peaceful and consensual. Why is that?

Here are some things you can't do in most states of the union: rent your body to someone for sex, sell your kidney, take recreational drugs. The list goes on. I'll discuss American prohibitions tonight at 8 and 11 p.m. Eastern time (and again on Friday at 10) on my Fox Business program.

The prohibitionists say their rules are necessary for either the public's or the particular individual's own good. I'm skeptical. I think of what Albert Camus said: "The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." Prohibition is force. I prefer persuasion. Government force has nasty unintended consequences...

...In a free country, we consenting adults should be able to do whatever we want with our bodies as long as we don't hurt anyone else. People who don't like what we do have every right to complain about our behavior, to boycott, to picket, to embarrass us. Bless the critics. They make us better people by getting us to think about what's moral. Let them mock and shame. But shaming is one thing -- government force is another. Prohibition means we empower the state to send out people with guns to force people to do what the majority says is moral. That's not right.

And it doesn't even work.