Kathianne
03-02-2010, 08:34 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35678683/ns/politics-capitol_hill/

Rangel to give up tax committee chairmanship
NBC: Ways and Means chair to relinquish gavel amid ethics complaints
BREAKING
NBC News and news services
updated 7:11 p.m. CT, Tues., March. 2, 2010
WASHINGTON - After being admonished by an ethics panel for accepting corporate-sponsored trips to the Caribbean, Rep. Charlie Rangel, D-N.Y., will give his chairmanship of the powerful House Ways and Means committee, NBC News has learned.

The top spot may temporarily go to Rep. Sander Levin, D-Mich., according to leadership sources, or to Rep. Pete Stark of California, the committee's second-ranking Democrat.

Asked by an NBC reporter if he will still be the chairman of the committee Wednesday, Rangel responded with an emphatic "yes."

"You bet your life on it," he said.

But sources indicated Tuesday to NBC that Rangel has been encouraged to step aside before the House votes on a bill to strip him of his chairmanship.

"We don't have the votes to save him," one Democratic member said of Rangel....

CSM
03-03-2010, 07:10 AM
He isn't out yet; you can bet if there is any way that the flexible morality of the left can save him it will be brought to bear and he will stay.

Kathianne
03-03-2010, 07:32 AM
He isn't out yet; you can bet if there is any way that the flexible morality of the left can save him it will be brought to bear and he will stay.

Indeed. I'm just hoping this is too much even for Pelosi to protect.

CSM
03-03-2010, 07:36 AM
I think he will end up staying. Once again the American citizen will be expected to suspend their beliefs and accept a lame apology or excuse in place of justice.

Kathianne
03-03-2010, 07:40 AM
I think he will end up staying. Once again the American citizen will be expected to suspend their beliefs and accept a lame apology or excuse in place of justice.

You think he'll remain chair of W & M?

CSM
03-03-2010, 07:41 AM
You think he'll remain chair of W & M?

yep

Kathianne
03-03-2010, 07:46 AM
yep

I hope you are wrong.

Kathianne
03-03-2010, 07:50 AM
Time will tell, an hour ago:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB20001424052748704486504575098281483235618.html

MARCH 3, 2010
Rangel Loses Support In House
As many as 30 Democrats Appear Ready to Call for His Ouster From Ways and Means Chairmanship
By GREG HITT And BRODY MULLINS

WASHINGTON—Rep. Charles Rangel appeared poised to lose the chairmanship of the powerful House tax-writing committee as dozens of Democrats said they would support a Republican resolution urging him to step down, senior congressional aides said Tuesday.

As many as 30 House Democrats could join 178 House Republicans in voting to oust Mr. Rangel as head of the Ways and Means Committee, the aides said, a substantially higher number than in previous votes on his removal. Mr. Rangel, a New York Democrat, has been battling a series of ethics charges in recent months. Last week, the House ethics committee found he broke congressional rules by not properly disclosing trips to the Caribbean that were paid for by companies.

With Democratic opposition on the rise, Mr. Rangel met late Tuesday with senior House Democrats, including Speaker Nancy Pelosi. The party leaders told Mr. Rangel they didn't think he had enough votes to survive a vote on the House floor, according to an aide.

In the meeting, Mr. Rangel refused to quit as chairman of the Ways and Means Committee and instead said he'd think overnight about the matter before deciding whether to step down or face an uncertain vote.

After the one-hour meeting broke, Mr. Rangel told reporters he would stay on.

"You bet your life," he said. Pressed further, Mr. Rangel, raising his voice, said emphatically: "Yes, and I don't lie to the press." Ms. Pelosi's office declined to comment....

CSM
03-03-2010, 07:57 AM
Time will tell, an hour ago:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB20001424052748704486504575098281483235618.html

I am betting that the Dem leadership is looking for some way for him to step down that doesn't tarnish his "good name". I am willing to bet that "health reasons" or "pressing personal matters" will be the excuse if it comes down to a forced resignation.

red states rule
03-03-2010, 09:32 AM
Now Charlie will take a "leave of absence"

Embattled Democrat takes 'leave of absence' amid ongoing ethics probe

WASHINGTON - After being admonished by an ethics panel for accepting corporate-sponsored trips to the Caribbean, Rep. Charlie Rangel, D-N.Y., said Wednesday that he will take a leave of absence from his chairmanship of the powerful House Ways and Means committee.

Rangel made the announcement to reporters on Capitol Hill, saying he would not answer any questions.

"I hope you don't mind. I don't take questions," he said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35678683

CSM
03-03-2010, 09:40 AM
Now Charlie will take a "leave of absence"

Ingenious! Take a leave of abscence until the heat is off, rewrite history in the meantime and hope the voters forget it all by the elections. Gawd, I hate politicians!

red states rule
03-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Ingenious! Take a leave of abscence until the heat is off, rewrite history in the meantime and hope the voters forget it all by the elections. Gawd, I hate politicians!

Sounds like something Nancy would have pitched to Charlie. Get lost for awhile until this little issue blows over

Monkeybone
03-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Sounds like something Nancy would have pitched to Charlie. Get lost for awhile until this little issue blows over

sad thing is... that it might actually work.

And they wonder why the People don't trust them anymore.

red states rule
03-03-2010, 09:50 AM
sad thing is... that it might actually work.

And they wonder why the People don't trust them anymore.

and Nancy said recently Dems are running the most ethical Congress in history

Since Charlie did not lose his job, will Obama count this as a "saved job"?

HogTrash
03-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Charlie Rangel is the poster boy for corrupt politicians...It will be interesting to see exactly who his political supporters are in Washington DC.

Consider for a minute the demographics of the voting district that has continued to re-elect this corrupt politician to represent them since 1971.

15th Congressional District, New York

White - 28.2%

Minoritiy - 71.8%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:New_York_District_15_109th_US_Congress.png
39 continuous years of blatant corruption!

Can anyone clear the PC from their heads long enough to understand the point I have been trying so hard to make?

These people have no political diversity which makes them the problem...All the facts are there if you just open your eyes.

Gaffer
03-04-2010, 09:14 AM
A corrupt ignorant man put in place by corrupt ignorant people.

Charlie Rangel is the poster boy for corrupt politicians...It will be interesting to see exactly who his political supporters are in Washington DC.

Consider for a minute the demographics of the voting district that has continued to re-elect this corrupt politician to represent them since 1971.
Quote:
15th Congressional District, New York

White - 28.2%

Minoritiy - 71.8%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ne...S_Congress.png
39 continuous years of blatant corruption!

glockmail
03-04-2010, 09:21 AM
Much bigger news than the demise of one congressman: The AP used the correct term to describe the Party of libtards:

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: March 4, 2010

WASHINGTON - Buffeted by ethics inquiries, 20-term Rep. Charles B. Rangel of New York stepped down yesterday as the chairman of the tax-writing House Ways and Means Committee, delivering a heavy political jolt to a Democrat Party already facing angry voters.

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2010/mar/04/rangel-agrees-to-step-aside/news/

Have they taken the lesson of ABC seriously?