PDA

View Full Version : Northwest at risk of megaquake like one in Chile

HogTrash
03-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Bleak future for the Gold Coast...

By ALICIA CHANG
AP Science Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Just 50 miles off the Pacific Northwest coast is an earthquake hotspot that threatens to unleash on Seattle, Portland and Vancouver the kind of damage that has shattered Chile.
http://www.mynorthwest.com/?nid=23&sid=291883

Monkeybone
03-04-2010, 08:37 AM
interesting. that would certainly fuck some thing up for us.

Any geo people in here... could this set off our other faults?

I do always love the lines in stories like this "could be tomorrow... or 50 years from now..."

Gaffer
03-04-2010, 08:50 AM
I can't remember who it was did the study or where to find it but there was a study done about earthquakes and how they seem to cause other quakes. Rhe writers of the study were predicting earth quakes in certain regions and were surprisingly correct on their locations though not on timing. As I recall the quakes always moved westerly. I read this two or three years ago and it was an interesting article.

glockmail
03-04-2010, 09:10 AM
The Cumbre Vieja volcano off the north coast of Africa could potentially erupt and collapse into the ocean. Not only would it kill everyone on that coast but would launch a tsunami at the East Coast of the US 1000' high.

http://www.armageddononline.org/images/tsunami.jpg

There is a reason why I live far inland.

darin
03-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Wonder why there is no OP's comments about how it's the fault of minorities?

HogTrash
03-04-2010, 11:57 AM
I was wondering if a quake of this enormous magnitude could possibly trigger the Super Volcano at Yellowstone Park in Wyoming?

The eruption is claimed by geologist to be a disaster comparable to the asteroid that wiped out most life on earth 65 million years ago?

HogTrash
03-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Wonder why there is no OP's comments about how it's the fault of minorities?Don't get me started. :dev:

cat slave
03-04-2010, 10:30 PM
I was wondering if a quake of this enormous magnitude could possibly trigger the Super Volcano at Yellowstone Park in Wyoming?

The eruption is claimed by geologist to be a disaster comparable to the asteroid that wiped out most life on earth 65 million years ago?

You beat me to the draw on Yellowstone. I dont think many people think
about what is going on when they view the geysers. Talk about a "big bang"!
Hope its a very long time away.

Gaffer
03-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Yellow stone volcano must be man made. After all it's smaller than the whole world. gore is right now trying to figure a way to make money from it. Maybe they can ban people from the region and tax everyone that lives within a 1000 miles of it. It has to be somebodies fault.

CSM
03-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Yellow stone volcano must be man made. After all it's smaller than the whole world. gore is right now trying to figure a way to make money from it. Maybe they can ban people from the region and tax everyone that lives within a 1000 miles of it. It has to be somebodies fault.

It's Bush's fault!

crin63
03-05-2010, 10:50 AM
California has about 20 volcanoes, some active and some inactive but I've always wondered what will happen with them if we ever have the big quake.

03-05-2010, 11:44 PM
I wouldnt be surprised at all if there is one. I mean there was another earthquake in Indonesia today. That's the 5th country I know about in the past week.

Gaffer
03-06-2010, 08:45 AM
It's moving west.

cat slave
03-06-2010, 04:48 PM
It's Bush's fault!

But of course!!!!:clap:

HogTrash
03-07-2010, 01:26 PM
It appears that such an enormous release of energy is capable of almost anything?

How the Chilean quake shortened the day
Rebecca Thomson, reporter

The Chilean earthquake that killed more than 700 people on Saturday probably shifted the Earth's axis and shortened the day, according to a NASA scientist.

Richard Gross, a geophysicist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, told Bloomberg that the 8.8-magnitude quake is likely to have moved the Earth's axis by 2.7 milliarcseconds - about 8 centimetres - and shorted the day by about 1.26 microseconds.

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2010/03/how-the-chilean-quake-shortene.html

cat slave
03-08-2010, 09:08 PM
I noticed that!

LOL.....just kidding.

That is weird though. Maybe a pole shift is down the road.