PDA

View Full Version : Question

actsnoblemartin
03-04-2010, 05:00 PM
I was thinking about volunteering but I need to know if you think im over extending myself. Part of me really wants to help in a lot of different areas, but part of me worries im over extending myself. My mental history is ocd, a typical bi polar (high mania), anxiety, aspergers.

what do you think?

My ideas were

volunteering 2-4 hours a day for

starting in july

San Diego Humane Society (animals)

August

Nami (Mental Health

September

Nfar (Autism)

Oct

USO (Veterans)

Nov

The Center (Gay Rights)

Abbey Marie
03-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Martin,
I love the animal and USO gigs.

Btw, have you read this book? HOUSE RULES by Jodi Picoult
You might enjoy it.

(Synopsis from the author's web site: jodipicoult.com)

...is about Jacob Hunt, a teenage boy with Asperger’s Syndrome. He’s hopeless at reading social cues or expressing himself well to others, and like many kids with AS, Jacob has a special focus on one subject – in his case, forensic analysis. He’s always showing up at crime scenes, thanks to the police scanner he keeps in his room, and telling the cops what they need to do…and he’s usually right. But then one day his tutor is found dead, and the police come to question him. All of the hallmark behaviors of Asperger’s – not looking someone in the eye, stimulatory tics and twitches, inappropriate affect – can look a heck of a lot like guilt to law enforcement personnel -- and suddenly, Jacob finds himself accused of murder. HOUSE RULES looks at what it means to be different in our society, how autism affects a family, and how our legal system works well for people who communicate a certain way – but lousy for those who don’t.

jimnyc
03-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Volunteering is great, Martin. Give to what you enjoy giving to the most, and if you feel overwhelmed at times, let them know and I'm sure they'll accommodate a lesser schedule for you. I love the idea of the Humane Society since I'm a huge animal lover, but wouldn't donate a second of my time to gay rights. But that's the beauty, we're all different and we can all give to what we believe in.

actsnoblemartin
03-04-2010, 08:16 PM
the only one im not sure about is the gay rights one. I mean I hate feeling outnumbered, and like I have no in common with them.

and i dont want them to hit on me , cause it makes me uncomfortable

is that normal, or am i homophobic

:lol:

glockmail
03-04-2010, 08:22 PM
The great thing about volunteering is, if you quit or they fire you, you don't lose any pay.

PostmodernProphet
03-04-2010, 08:25 PM
I say pick one place and help them for several months.....if the humane society is your first choice stick with them through the summer....if you're sick of it by fall try something new....

crin63
03-04-2010, 08:33 PM
I'd say stick with the Humane Society this summer. Dealing with animals will be easier than dealing with people and it will give you a chance to see how it works out for you in what should be the most stress free environment of the 3. Just don't take too many dogs home.

krisy
03-04-2010, 08:40 PM
I really like the Humane Society idea too. I'm a huge animal lover too:thumb: It sounds like it would be great for you to around them,they can change your mood in an instant and really help get your mind off things!

chesswarsnow
03-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Sorry bout that,

1, Go with Autism,..they are better than the others on the list me thinks.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

jimnyc
03-06-2010, 03:41 AM
Sorry bout that,

1, Go with Autism,..they are better than the others on the list me thinks.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

I can't say I disagree with James, but you have to go with whatever you feel you can do - and feel good about doing so. Not to sound selfish, but if it were me, I would do what I know was helping AND what I feel I would get more fulfillment from. If it feels too much like work, you may not stick it out. I know if I was helping animals I would stick it out as I have a huge love for almost all animals and if I could help them in any way I would. I don't volunteer any time but I sure as hell give them money. I always toss money into the cans when I see them at stores, and my wife, son and I also donate every year to the Humane Society and the ASPCA of NY. My son also donates every year for the past 3 years to an organization to "save the whales". Every little bit helps, and hands one even more so.