PDA

View Full Version : Turkey warns US over Armenian genocide vote

chloe
03-05-2010, 06:57 AM
ANKARA, Turkey (AP) - Turkey warned the Obama administration on Friday of negative diplomatic consequences if it doesn't impede a U.S. resolution branding the World War I-era killing of Armenians genocide.
Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said Turkey, a key Muslim ally of the U.S., would assess what measures it would take, adding that the issue was a matter of "honor" for his country.

A U.S. congressional committee approved the measure Thursday. The 23-22 vote sends the measure to the full House of Representatives, where prospects for passage are uncertain. Minutes after the vote, Turkey withdrew its ambassador to the U.S.

Historians estimate that up to 1.5 million Armenians were killed by Ottoman Turks around the time of World War I, an event widely viewed by scholars as the first genocide of the 20th century. Turkey denies that the deaths constituted genocide, saying the toll has been inflated and those killed were victims of civil war and unrest.

President Barack Obama's administration had been silent about the resolution until shortly before the vote when it said it opposed its passage. Turkey wants stronger action to block the resolution.
"The picture shows that the U.S. administration did not put enough weight behind the issue," Davutoglu told reporters. "We are seriously disturbed by the result."

"We expect the U.S. administration to, as of now, display more effective efforts. Otherwise the picture ahead will not be a positive one," he said. He complained of a lack of "strategic vision" in Washington.
The measure was approved at a time when Washington is expected to press Turkey to back sanctions against Iran to be approved in the U.N. Security Council, where Turkey currently holds a seat. Turkish cooperation also is important to U.S. operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Also at stake are defense contracts. Turkey is an important market for U.S. defense companies, many of which had lobbied against the measure.
"We have had good cooperation with the U.S. administration at all levels," Davutoglu said. "We would expect our contributions not to be sacrificed to domestic political games."

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=157&sid=9901080

Gaffer
03-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Turkey wants to rewrite history and gloss over the genocide the ottoman's were responsible for. It might make islam look bad. As for congress voting on this, it's about as impressive as a letter from the un saying you were a bad person and don't ever do it again. It was a hundred years ago. It happened, it's in the history books. Nobody gains anything from it.

crin63
03-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Turkey wants to rewrite history and gloss over the genocide the ottoman's were responsible for. It might make islam look bad. As for congress voting on this, it's about as impressive as a letter from the un saying you were a bad person and don't ever do it again. It was a hundred years ago. It happened, it's in the history books. Nobody gains anything from it.

Unless you have close friends who are Armenian you cant quite appreciate how important this is. It will mean a lot for the Armenian people if we officially recognize it. It doesn't matter if they're Russian Armenian or Lebanese Armenian they mourn every year over it on April 24th. For us to acknowledge their genocide is like acknowledging that they are actually people and they matter.

I have very close Armenian friends. I love their culture and how embracing they are to their friends. If you become their friend, you become their family and they will do just about anything for you. You would be hard pressed to find better, more friendly hosts when you visit them.

revelarts
03-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Crin you've hung out with some cool folks.

The Turks have been putting this resolution off for YEARS by hook and Crook. Pressure and brides to congress people etc.. They care a lot about the resolution. More recently the Turkish gov't has pretty dirty hands in a lot of anti U.S.. international arms, drugs and spying scenarios.
Anyone here follow the Sibel Edmonds story?

Gaffer
03-05-2010, 11:05 AM
As I said, Turkey is trying to rewrite history. It all boils down to islam. That was the reason for the genocide. It is also the reason Turkey does what it does in so many areas. The Armenians would not convert, therefore they were slaughtered. That's the thing congress needs to look at and recognize. Not so much what the Turks did but what they did in the name of islam. And the PCers won't allow that.

DragonStryk72
03-05-2010, 06:20 PM
*sniff* *sniff* Oh no! Turkey won't like us no more!!! Whatever will we do if a country the size of one of our states doesn't like us? *sniff* *sniff*

PostmodernProphet
03-05-2010, 08:47 PM
I don't understand....congress doesn't have time to solve health care but they have time to take a moral stand about something that happened a hundred years ago?......

03-05-2010, 11:48 PM
I don't mean to sound like I am trivializing what the Turks did to the Armenians. However, I don't see the point of this. I mean if the Turks did this last week, I could understand it. But why are we passing a resolution about this 100 years later? Especially since most of the people involved are likely to be dead.

Does passing a resolution somehow make it fact? I mean the last time I checked, it happened. And there hasnt been a resolution on it prior to now.

I just don't see the point.

chesswarsnow
03-06-2010, 12:04 AM
Sorry bout that,

1. I would tell you what this means,..but,.....
2. You figure it out.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

actsnoblemartin
03-06-2010, 12:06 AM
I believe its important to acknowledge history, or we cant learn from it

chesswarsnow
03-06-2010, 12:12 AM
Sorry bout that,

1. That just may be the point, you are not supposed to learn from it.
2. Think about it,......
3. Think,........
4. Thats it!!!!

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

PostmodernProphet
03-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Sorry bout that,

1. I would tell you what this means,..but,.....
2. You figure it out.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

I've already figured out that it's meaningless......I take it from your post that you suspect it is, but you haven't got a clue why.......

Gaffer
03-06-2010, 08:42 AM
I already explained it.

03-07-2010, 02:37 AM

I don't see why we need a resolution to acknowledge history.

crin63
03-07-2010, 10:59 AM
I don't see why we need a resolution to acknowledge history.

We don't, but the Armenian people do because Turkey denies that it ever happened.

As other countries officially admit that, "Yes the Armenian Genocide did occur" it gives some measure of peace to the Armenian people, some kind of closure I guess. Between the Turks and the Soviet Union the Armenian people have been pretty battered the last 100 years.

I have been at my friends house on April 24th and seen how they mourn over the genocide. To us it was a long time ago, to them not so much. It still burns in their souls what happened, even the Armenian children that were born and raised here have that same pain.

LiberalNation
03-07-2010, 11:19 AM
rather pointless, using the word wont change anything but will hurt our relationship with turkey an important allie in the mideast.

chesswarsnow
03-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Sorry bout that,

1. Turkey is guilty in genocide, The PC Police can't change this fact in history.
2. Along side the muzzys of Turkey want to denie they ever did this.
3. That's why this has to be brought into the light of day.
4. We as a Nation of laws need to carve this atrosity in STONE.
5. Unless we are not for the truth?
6. If we want this swept under the rug for the Turks then we should be willing to do the same for the Germans.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

chesswarsnow
03-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. But *Monkey Boy Leader* of Iran is claiming that 911 never happened too.
2. In other words we did it to ourselves, in otder to take over the middle east hell hole.
3. Fact is 911 was done by muslims, he's a muslim, and he will defend islams actions.
4. Just like Turkey is doing, defending their evil actions.
5. I say we vote the resolution through!
6. Link and Sample:http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6251AO20100306

"Ahmadinejad, who often rails against the West and Israel, made the comment in a meeting with Intelligence Ministry personnel.

It came amid escalating tension in the long-running dispute between Iran and the West over Tehran's nuclear program, with the United States pushing for new U.N. sanctions against the major oil producer.

Ahmadinejad described the destruction of the twin towers in New York on September 11, 2001 as a "complicated intelligence scenario and act," IRNA reported.

He added: "The September 11 incident was a big fabrication as a pretext for the campaign against terrorism and a prelude for staging an invasion against Afghanistan." He did not elaborate.

Nearly 3,000 people died in the hijacked airliner attacks on New York and Washington, which were carried out by al Qaeda operatives.

In January, Ahmadinejad termed the September 11 attacks "suspicious" and accused the West of seeking to dominate the Middle East.

Ahmadinejad, who has called for Israel to be wiped off the map, was re-elected in a disputed presidential vote last June that stirred the largest display of internal unrest in the country since the 1979 Islamic revolution."

7. We have to stand for the truth at this point in time, Turkey is a murdering nation, and will do it again if they feel its needed, block them from joining the European Union, they be dogs, keep the dogs outside.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

revelarts
03-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Short points.

100 yrs ago isn't realy that long ago. Some people in the U.S.
-cough-onthisforum-cough- are still morning for the Confederacy and seeking um clarification for it's... actions, flags etc.. They get pretty worked up about the "war between the states". And in European terms 100 years is nothing. They have toilets 500 years old there.
----
Turkey is not much of an ally in the truth justice and American way sense. There are willing to do CIA and other US dirty work, sell drugs, and Arms etc.

cat slave
03-08-2010, 09:00 PM
I don't understand....congress doesn't have time to solve health care but they have time to take a moral stand about something that happened a hundred years ago?......

My feelings exactly. I almost fell out when I heard this on
tv!!!!

Here we are, economy tanked, dollar failing, congress out
of the peoples control, millions jobless and a prez with
mions telling us to shut up and sit down.....they know what
is best for us. Uh, NO!!!!! WE know what we want and
what is best for us.

And congress wants to declare something that is long over
and has no place on our list of priorities. This mess is
making me feel bad....anyone up there care....NO!

Hasnt Osama, uh Obama done enough apologizing for
everything? I dont think the issue is any of our business.

cat slave
03-08-2010, 09:01 PM
I've already figured out that it's meaningless......I take it from your post that you suspect it is, but you haven't got a clue why.......

:clap:

cat slave
03-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. Turkey is guilty in genocide, The PC Police can't change this fact in history.
2. Along side the muzzys of Turkey want to denie they ever did this.
3. That's why this has to be brought into the light of day.
4. We as a Nation of laws need to carve this atrosity in STONE.
5. Unless we are not for the truth?
6. If we want this swept under the rug for the Turks then we should be willing to do the same for the Germans.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Dont we have more pressing issues??? And its over and
done and none of the people involved are even alive.

It must serve someone to drag it out and create a
diversion from what is happening in the USA, Greece
and Iceland, to name a few pressing issues.