PDA

View Full Version : Obama looking to give new life to immigration reform

Monkeybone
03-05-2010, 01:03 PM
In an effort to advance a bill through Congress before midterm elections, the president meets with two senators who have spent months trying to craft legislation.

Reporting from Washington - Despite steep odds, the White House has discussed prospects for reviving a major overhaul of the nation's immigration laws, a commitment that President Obama has postponed once already.

Obama took up the issue privately with his staff Monday in a bid to advance a bill through Congress before lawmakers become too distracted by approaching midterm election Gee... maybe it is because they want those people to be able to tip the voting scale in their favor... I mean they figure that they would owe them at least a vote since they got the citizenship. Give me a break... 'become too distracted' my ass.

Citizenship would not be granted lightly, the White House said. Undocumented workers would need to register, pay taxes and pay a penalty for violating the law. Failure to comply might result in deportation. This is the best part of the whole article... but who knows if it would be enforced.

I have no problem with these people becoming citizens, but come on. It does hit a point where so much law breaking is enough. If they do this, then they really need to dive into better border security and hammering the companies that hire illegals. These people would come into the counrty right and legally if there wasn't a place for them to go!

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-and-world/la-na-immigration5-2010mar05,0,1123497.story

Kathianne
03-05-2010, 01:41 PM
I have a problem with folks that enter illegally obtaining amnesty, we've been there and done that, it's only gotten worse.

I'm very much in favor of immigrants entering our country, though right now I fail to see a pull factor. I think we should have a logical way for folks to get green cards, including 'sponsors'. Other than those that graduate from US universities on visa programs, pretty hard to have job lined up before coming here.

There are millions of legal Hispanics in this country, that own businesses, homes, and have the wherewithal to help friends and relatives, even after they've been in US for tens or more of years, from 'back home.'

We should definitely raise the numbers in South America and Eastern Europe.

Trigg
03-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Just what we need, 10 million more people on unemployment and food stamps.

stephanie
03-05-2010, 03:14 PM
But of course the Obama would look after everyone else but the Amercian people. hopey changy.

gabosaurus
03-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Someone needs to do it. The last administration wouldn't touch immigration reform. Too politically unpopular.

03-05-2010, 11:52 PM
Now who didnt see this one coming?

03-05-2010, 11:53 PM
Someone needs to do it. The last administration wouldn't touch immigration reform. Too politically unpopular.

No, Immigration reform was very popular. Amnesty to illegals wasn't.

Trigg
03-06-2010, 12:55 PM

Reagan gave amnesty back in 1986 to 3 million illegals. We now have 10 million illegals.

It didn't solve the problem of illegals sneaking into this country and we can't simply make everyone legal every 20 years. Amnesty makes the problem worse and fixes nothing.

Mandate e-verify, prosecute employers, check the status of everyone in jails and POLICE THE BORDER.

President Ronald Reagan signed that bill into law with great fanfare amid promises that it would grant legal status to illegal immigrants, crack down on employers who hired illegal workers and secure the border once and for all. Instead, fraudulent applications tainted the process, many employers continued their illicit hiring practices, and illegal immigration surged

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/23/washington/23amnesty.html