PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Trying To 'Save' By Spending Less?

Kathianne
03-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Got any ideas on 'cutting costs?' What I've done in the past few years, as money gets tighter and fear of unemployment has risen:

1. More planned shopping. Stick to list better, if a trade in product is going to be made it has to be 'down', not 'up.'

2. I really have cut way back on eating out. Used to go out at least once a month, mostly 2-3 times. Now? Haven't since New Years and no plans to.

3. I bring my lunch to work. I had to do so when supervising 'detention lunch', but now that I'm back to having a lunch, I have not returned to grabbing something out, even though I'd love to leave the building for a few. Truth is, I don't 'just drive' anymore-another change.

4. I make meals with leftovers in mind. Might be for lunches, might be for the next 'dinner.' I've gotten pretty good at making chicken, flank steak, and sirloin in large quantities, freezing and using in a later, quicker meal.

5. Heat turned down. Air conditioning I used I think twice last year.

6. Added insulation to attic.

7. New weatherstripping to doors and windows.

8. More shopping at Target Superstore, careful shopping at Costco, looking for ads from hardware and home stores for things like light bulbs, small appliances, etc. They often beat Walmart!

PostmodernProphet
03-05-2010, 02:09 PM
yeah, I pay bills till the money's gone and save the rest of the bills for next week......the savings are really piling up......

Kathianne
03-05-2010, 02:24 PM
yeah, I pay bills till the money's gone and save the rest of the bills for next week......the savings are really piling up......

Well I do that too. LOL! Still no hints? Ask the wife. ;)

crin63
03-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Yes, I'm taking my wife's credit card away this weekend. She is back on a cash basis like we normally do in hard times. That way I can say, "NO" we don't need that right now. I'm also going to cancel most of the subscriptions to stuff.

Kathianne
03-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Yes, I'm taking my wife's credit card away this weekend. She is back on a cash basis like we normally do in hard times. That way I can say, "NO" we don't need that right now. I'm also going to cancel most of the subscriptions to stuff.

I hear ya with the subscriptions-cancelled those a couple years ago. It's getting harder to pare down.

Trigg
03-05-2010, 02:53 PM
My kids are always teasing me about having a little birdie on my shoulder that goes cheap cheap. When this recession hit my oldest (after asking for money) asked me if my back hurt, I of course said "What?". He says "I was just wondering because I think your little birdie has turned into a 50 pound monster". Kids are just hilarious.

Kathianne
03-05-2010, 02:56 PM
My kids are always teasing me about having a little birdie on my shoulder that goes cheap cheap. When this recession hit my oldest (after asking for money) asked me if my back hurt, I of course said "What?". He says "I was just wondering because I think your little birdie has turned into a 50 pound monster". Kids are just hilarious.

I'm luckier that my 'kids' are more or less independent. ;) I'm unlucky that I don't have time to make up for what is happening here. Scary times, but I guess we'll just have to try and make ends meet.

Abbey Marie
03-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Kath, that's a pretty darn good list. You should be proud of yourself.

AllieBaba
03-05-2010, 03:52 PM
I've cut back on eating out, too. Way back. Also I'm committed to cooking a lot more, and not buying easy, prepared food (read pizza). Relying on what I have in my freezer and cupboards.

I'm not traveling as much...no more weekend trips to see my family 140 miles away.

I've quit buying clothes for myself altogether, and I didn't use oil heat this year, I stuck wtih electric/portable radiator. Last year I was paying $300 a month during the winter to run the monitor oil stove.

Noir
03-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Nopes, if anything i'm spending more now than i ever have, the real killer is food, and my apartment, which is waaay overpriced, but even though i have no savings i have no debt either, so i consider that a success,

SassyLady
03-05-2010, 04:08 PM
My brother (who lives with us) tried to save some pennies by putting energy saving light bulbs in all my perimeter lights. This caused the system to only become operational if we manually turned the lights on. For 15 years all my perimeter lights have been set to come on low light from dusk to dawn and then have motion detectors that make them come up to full light if anything moves. I got so mad at him........told him I didn't care how much it cost I want to have those lights come on automatically.

Sometimes saving pennies can cause stress which leads to health problems, etc. I stressed him when I demanded that he get back out there and put all the right bulbs in and get the system working properly again. It is over 20 lights and each one had to be done with a ladder. Next time Mr. Cheapo will consult with me before he decides he can save a penny. LOL!!!

DragonStryk72
03-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Got any ideas on 'cutting costs?' What I've done in the past few years, as money gets tighter and fear of unemployment has risen:

1. More planned shopping. Stick to list better, if a trade in product is going to be made it has to be 'down', not 'up.'

2. I really have cut way back on eating out. Used to go out at least once a month, mostly 2-3 times. Now? Haven't since New Years and no plans to.

3. I bring my lunch to work. I had to do so when supervising 'detention lunch', but now that I'm back to having a lunch, I have not returned to grabbing something out, even though I'd love to leave the building for a few. Truth is, I don't 'just drive' anymore-another change.

4. I make meals with leftovers in mind. Might be for lunches, might be for the next 'dinner.' I've gotten pretty good at making chicken, flank steak, and sirloin in large quantities, freezing and using in a later, quicker meal.

8. More shopping at Target Superstore, careful shopping at Costco, looking for ads from hardware and home stores for things like light bulbs, small appliances, etc. They often beat Walmart!

Might look at energy saving bulbs, and eclipse curtains. A lot of heat is lost through windows, being a hole essentially. Also check out your weather stripping around doors and windows, see if any of it needs replacing. It's easy to do, and can help alleviate drafts.

Making sure you're turning off everything before bed. Set your computer to power saver mode powerwise, so that it automatically hibernates overnight, keeping its usage down.

Instead of using the car, walk or use a bike to get to those places you feel are close enough to do so. You won't use up gas, you'll be in better shape, and you won't be punishing your with short stop and go drives.

Binky
03-05-2010, 07:03 PM

:laugh2::laugh2:Well, now, glad to hear that's working out well for ya....:laugh2:

chesswarsnow
03-06-2010, 12:38 AM
Sorry bout that,

1. Nice list!:laugh2:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

chesswarsnow
03-06-2010, 09:17 AM
Sorry bout that,

1. In all seriouness, just joking before, its a great list, and many should learn to store back nuts for winter.
2. But the best way to save more money is make more.
3. There is lots of ways to do that.:coffee:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

chloe
03-06-2010, 09:21 AM
No I haven't cut back because I really haven't spent much money ever anyway. I don't go out to eat or go to movies or buy anything except basic necessities. We have lived that way a long time. The dental bill for my kid is killing me and since we are on 8 months no child support I am very conservative on spending.

Shadow
03-06-2010, 09:37 AM

That's a great list. I try to save some money back each month,but sometimes it's hard to do. Lately I have been trying to bring a lunch to work instead of eating out (at least twice a week)...sometimes though you just need to get out of the building for awhile to relieve stress,so I don't like to do it everyday (even though I probably should). The kids and I don't eat out as much either on the weekends. Too expensive and not really good for you. That has helped quite a bit also.

krisy
03-06-2010, 09:37 AM
I guess we are kind of like Chloe. We don't spend very much to begin with. Our windows may as well be giant holes in the wall because they are so leaky,so my husband put that plastic stuff up on them. I was shocked to see that our next two electric and gas bills were down $75-100 from last year. We also ran a small electric heater in the living room at night while watching tv and set the thermostat lower.

I am very thrifty at the grocery allready,and Wal Mart is the cheapest around here for food by far. My daughter and I were talking about staring a garden this summer. We spend very little on clothes and going out.

It gets hard when the kids want to go do something and we don't have the money. I am trying very hard to sock just a little money away to go away for a weekend this year. We were supposed to last year,then my boss took away our bonuses and didn't tell until a week before we were supposed to get them.:slap:

chloe
03-06-2010, 09:45 AM
I guess we are kind of like Chloe. We don't spend very much to begin with. Our windows may as well be giant holes in the wall because they are so leaky,so my husband put that plastic stuff up on them. I was shocked to see that our next two electric and gas bills were down $75-100 from last year. We also ran a small electric heater in the living room at night while watching tv and set the thermostat lower.

I am very thrifty at the grocery allready,and Wal Mart is the cheapest around here for food by far. My daughter and I were talking about staring a garden this summer. We spend very little on clothes and going out.

It gets hard when the kids want to go do something and we don't have the money. I am trying very hard to sock just a little money away to go away for a weekend this year. We were supposed to last year,then my boss took away our bonuses and didn't tell until a week before we were supposed to get them.:slap:

Yeah it sounds like we are botht the same. My kids have not noticed the recession because we never take a trip unless its the ex in laws inviting and paying for it LOL. We dont go 4-wheeling or boating or skiing, we can't afford those things, so basically nothing has changed in their world we have always been poor. But they tell me their friends at school complain because they are used to doing all sorts of expensive activies and trips with there family and their parents cut back on stuff so the kids at school complain LOL. Some of my daughters friends have moved because their parents couldn't afford the house anymore.

krisy
03-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Yeah it sounds like we are botht the same. My kids have not noticed the recession because we never take a trip unless its the ex in laws inviting and paying for it LOL. We dont go 4-wheeling or boating or skiing, we can't afford those things, so basically nothing has changed in their world we have always been poor. But they tell me their friends at school complain because they are used to doing all sorts of expensive activies and trips with there family and their parents cut back on stuff so the kids at school complain LOL. Some of my daughters friends have moved because their parents couldn't afford the house anymore.

Its no fun at all when the kids at school talk about what they are doing and we can't....I know what you mean. Thank God warm weather is starting to get here. It brings the opportunity to do more things for free. Going to the lake an swim, going to local parks and just being outside and grilling out and tossing baseball.

BTW,my daughter and I LOVE your avatar. She is sitting here with me now. I do some work for my boss at her barn and she has two barn kitties that are soooo sweet. This pic reminds me of them. One of the kitties likes to sleep on top of one the horses when he sleeps.:2up:

chloe
03-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Its no fun at all when the kids at school talk about what they are doing and we can't....I know what you mean. Thank God warm weather is starting to get here. It brings the opportunity to do more things for free. Going to the lake an swim, going to local parks and just being outside and grilling out and tossing baseball.

BTW,my daughter and I LOVE your avatar. She is sitting here with me now. I do some work for my boss at her barn and she has two barn kitties that are soooo sweet. This pic reminds me of them. One of the kitties likes to sleep on top of one the horses when he sleeps.:2up:

Thanks, Yeah we have 3 cats, one my daughter found as a stray when we lived in the mountains and one I rescued when I worked at the court house and one my ex husband dumped on me when I let him live in my basement for a year. LOL. I love the pic of the cat and horse they look like friends. Yeah my kids keep up with friends and have sleepovers and stuff but we just don't spend money. They are used to it, when they were little and we would go to the store I would automatically say I'm broke so don't ask me to buy anything LOL! So they never have.

glockmail
03-06-2010, 10:09 AM
I'm always looking for ways to save money, and sometimes you have to spend it to save it. We just got $240 back from Costco, which more than pays for the $100 executive membership fee.

Another way is credit card deals. We've got several that give up to 5% cash back on certain purchases, and they are all different so you have to know which one to use. I write on the card with a Sharpie marker on what type of purchases are best with that card, ie gas, or restaurants.

My big savings is escaping the tax man. I advertise my business on my truck, so I expense all the costs associated with owing and driving it. Every single last damn dime.

Kathianne
03-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Chloe and Krisy, I spent most of my kids' preteen and teen years where you guys are at. Living in a pretty high income area was difficult for them and myself, the comparisons with friends can be very depressing. Sometimes I just got depressed, mostly I tried to find alternative things to make special.

Cooking with the kids can be done anytime of year. Best of all, they tend to eat what they help plan, buy, and make.

Pack up lunch and head for the park and library. Did this all the time, even when we had a lot of money. Picnics and playgrounds, even with 12 year olds, tend to be popular. Library then going home, laying on couches, floor, or in backyard reading. When they were older we tended to take out books that they wanted 'read' to them. Did Shakespeare, Stephen King, Dickens, Twain, Jurassic Park, and scads of others this way. We all took turns reading aloud. Scary or thrilling is best!

Free events by park district, library, local universities, etc. People probably don't realize how many concerts, readings, symphonies are available within minutes of their homes.

Invite friends with kids over for dinner, allowing friends to stay overnight. Pizza, sloppy joes, chili, stew, burgers, hot dogs and more can really stretch for 10 for not much more than 4 or 5. If money is 'that tight', can talk to your friends about who will do what. Adults have fun and so do the kids. In the winter we used to do this pretty often, whether at my house or friends. Whoever hosted was stuck with the kids, but gave invited couples 'a night alone' and gave me some desperately needed time alone, as my kids didn't see their dad overnight for years. Hint: stay in bed in the morning for at least an hour when you hear them, they will eat cereal or toast, otherwise you'll feel the need to 'make breakfast! LOL!

krisy
03-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Chloe and Krisy, I spent most of my kids' preteen and teen years where you guys are at. Living in a pretty high income area was difficult for them and myself, the comparisons with friends can be very depressing. Sometimes I just got depressed, mostly I tried to find alternative things to make special.

Cooking with the kids can be done anytime of year. Best of all, they tend to eat what they help plan, buy, and make.

Pack up lunch and head for the park and library. Did this all the time, even when we had a lot of money. Picnics and playgrounds, even with 12 year olds, tend to be popular. Library then going home, laying on couches, floor, or in backyard reading. When they were older we tended to take out books that they wanted 'read' to them. Did Shakespeare, Stephen King, Dickens, Twain, Jurassic Park, and scads of others this way. We all took turns reading aloud. Scary or thrilling is best!

Free events by park district, library, local universities, etc. People probably don't realize how many concerts, readings, symphonies are available within minutes of their homes.

Invite friends with kids over for dinner, allowing friends to stay overnight. Pizza, sloppy joes, chili, stew, burgers, hot dogs and more can really stretch for 10 for not much more than 4 or 5. If money is 'that tight', can talk to your friends about who will do what. Adults have fun and so do the kids. In the winter we used to do this pretty often, whether at my house or friends. Whoever hosted was stuck with the kids, but gave invited couples 'a night alone' and gave me some desperately needed time alone, as my kids didn't see their dad overnight for years. Hint: stay in bed in the morning for at least an hour when you hear them, they will eat cereal or toast, otherwise you'll feel the need to 'make breakfast! LOL!

Great ideas,Kath. I used to get down about it,but decided pouting was not going to get me anywhere. I keep my chin up and just keep thinking of things to do. Some of the little things can be the funnest. During the winter,we rent from Redbox a lot(costs a dollar)! I let my kids have friends over quite a bit too. My daughters best friend has spent the night the last three weekends(partly cause my daughter gets very homesick at their house). My son has kids over a lot too,and at his age(15),I like that cause I know what they are doing!!!

Cooking is a great idea. Both my kids like too,but I have too catch them in the mood. I probably should check the paper for me free stuff tho. Sometimes its a matter of getting everyone to agree on what to do-lol! I would love to get a zoo pass and be able to go anytime in the summer when we are bored.Animals are always a winner:thumb:

Like I said,glad summer is arriving. All the kids on the street come back out of hibernation and really helps keep my kids busy. Sometimes in the summer we roast marshmallows at night in our fire pit in the back yard. All the neighbor kids come and the play on the tire swing. Its a blast!

Kathianne
03-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Great ideas,Kath. I used to get down about it,but decided pouting was not going to get me anywhere. I keep my chin up and just keep thinking of things to do. Some of the little things can be the funnest. During the winter,we rent from Redbox a lot(costs a dollar)! I let my kids have friends over quite a bit too. My daughters best friend has spent the night the last three weekends(partly cause my daughter gets very homesick at their house). My son has kids over a lot too,and at his age(15),I like that cause I know what they are doing!!!

Cooking is a great idea. Both my kids like too,but I have too catch them in the mood. I probably should check the paper for me free stuff tho. Sometimes its a matter of getting everyone to agree on what to do-lol! I would love to get a zoo pass and be able to go anytime in the summer when we are bored.Animals are always a winner:thumb:

Like I said,glad summer is arriving. All the kids on the street come back out of hibernation and really helps keep my kids busy. Sometimes in the summer we roast marshmallows at night in our fire pit in the back yard. All the neighbor kids come and the play on the tire swing. Its a blast!

Krisy, check out whether or not your zoo has a free day*. In Illinois most museums and zoos are free on Tuesday. It's crazy busy, but I've never seen a kid complain. (*Well have to pay for parking or take the train, but free entry.)

I always had museum and zoo passes when the kids were small, cause I could afford them. After the divorce I kept up with Brookfield and Field Museum, I got them from my folks for Christmas. ;)

Shadow
03-06-2010, 11:08 AM

Good ideas! We used to pack picnic lunches,stop at the dollar store and buy two kites (sometimes a frisbee) and spend the day at the park (still do when there is enough wind). Cheap entertainment and a blast...plus, it also usually attracts neighborhood kids who want to join in the fun.

You are right...the library is very good for free events (much like the zoo,which has free concerts..but you do have to pay for zoo admission.) Our library usually has puppet shows and magicians that come once in awhile...the kids loved that when they were younger.

Luna Tick
03-06-2010, 03:48 PM
I do a ton of things to save money. I needed a wedding shower gift and so I took on old Easter basket that my niece discarded and filled it up with those free little soaps that you get at cheap motels and gave it to my friend as a soap basket. I also spray painted a bunch of different old towels and wash cloths that I didn't want anymore a pretty light blue color and gave them to her as a bathroom set.

Last year I created a new couch for FREE! I built it out of old rolled up newspapers and threw an old blanket over it. My significant other and I go on cheapie dates to Home Depot and Target where we eat from their sample food trays, the ones with the little toothpicks.

I also get all the free drinks I want at the local bar by acting like a slut and making every guy there think he has a chance with me.

chloe
03-06-2010, 07:37 PM
I do a ton of things to save money. I needed a wedding shower gift and so I took on old Easter basket that my niece discarded and filled it up with those free little soaps that you get at cheap motels and gave it to my friend as a soap basket. I also spray painted a bunch of different old towels and wash cloths that I didn't want anymore a pretty light blue color and gave them to her as a bathroom set.

Last year I created a new couch for FREE! I built it out of old rolled up newspapers and threw an old blanket over it. My significant other and I go on cheapie dates to Home Depot and Target where we eat from their sample food trays, the ones with the little toothpicks.

I also get all the free drinks I want at the local bar by acting like a slut and making every guy there think he has a chance with me.

You are very smart, another good thing you can do is buy some expensive clothes at the mall at stores that back up there products with guarantees, and then returned them all worn out 30 days later and just go to a new store and do it all over again, that way you save on laundry time and havinbg to buy clothes.