PDA

View Full Version : What can we do to prepare ourselves?

03-06-2010, 12:16 AM
I was reading Kathianne's thread on how she is saving money and it's similiar to what I've been thinking lately about being prepared for the future. Especially since I am concerned about the economic future of this country. Quite frankly, I think bad things are going to happen soon and it's going to get worse before it gets better.

So what happens if we end up in a great depression type scenario? What can we do to be prepared?

I was actually thinking of starting a garden to grow vegetables. Which is really odd for me since i've disliked getting dirty since I was a kid (Though it's not nearly as bad now). And because I don't eat alot of vegetables. But I see alot of gold commercials and I am just thinking, I can't afford gold and quite honestly, if the economy gets bad, gold is going to be useless. It will be food that we need.

I'm thinking food storage is a good idea too. Get a few months stocked.

Maybe learn to fix things. I am not very good at that. But quite honestly, Im finding that I can figure things out quickly. And I like it.

What can we do to prepare for emergencies both short term and long term? What kind of things can we do to prepare for the future?

I think this is an important thing to talk about. Because if we aren't prepared when the time comes we will be afraid. And if we are prepared, we will not fear.

Let's get some discussions going.

Mr. P
03-06-2010, 12:29 AM
If I lived in a large city I'd move.

Gaffer
03-06-2010, 08:39 AM
If in a large city, move. Stock up on can goods and nonperishable foods. Do most of the same things survivalists do. Learn to be self sufficient. An electric generator would be very handy to have. And be sure to have at least one gun. And ammo. Money, gold, jewelry will all be worthless. Sugar, salt, spices will be the barter staples.

The dark lord is planning to change the American dream into the American nightmare.

Kathianne
03-06-2010, 09:11 AM
I am outside a big city and would have to go another 40 miles to be in 'country.' Not going to happen too soon, it already takes me over 40 minutes back and forth to school.

I can't plant veggies in ground of my association, but I can use pots and am planning to. Illinois doesn't have the longest growing season, just yesterday I checked 'what produce is in season now?' None. But I know that broccoli, carrots, peppers, and beans all grow well around here. Tomatoes too! Carrots are not feasible I don't think in pots, but all the others are.

I'm planning on learning canning and preserving-whether from market or home grown.

Can't say I'm into survivalist mode, but preparedness? Yes. I too think that something bad is looming on the near horizon.

chloe
03-06-2010, 09:27 AM
I was reading Kathianne's thread on how she is saving money and it's similiar to what I've been thinking lately about being prepared for the future. Especially since I am concerned about the economic future of this country. Quite frankly, I think bad things are going to happen soon and it's going to get worse before it gets better.

So what happens if we end up in a great depression type scenario? What can we do to be prepared?

I was actually thinking of starting a garden to grow vegetables. Which is really odd for me since i've disliked getting dirty since I was a kid (Though it's not nearly as bad now). And because I don't eat alot of vegetables. But I see alot of gold commercials and I am just thinking, I can't afford gold and quite honestly, if the economy gets bad, gold is going to be useless. It will be food that we need.

I'm thinking food storage is a good idea too. Get a few months stocked.

Maybe learn to fix things. I am not very good at that. But quite honestly, Im finding that I can figure things out quickly. And I like it.

What can we do to prepare for emergencies both short term and long term? What kind of things can we do to prepare for the future?

I think this is an important thing to talk about. Because if we aren't prepared when the time comes we will be afraid. And if we are prepared, we will not fear.

Let's get some discussions going.

Yeah I think about that alot too. When Hurricane Katrina happened and I saw all the poor people wading in water and dying, I thought I'm blind as a bat if anyone tried to steal my babies I wouldn't even be able to give a description without contacts or glasses. So then I got lasik eye surgery. LOL. Utah is supposed to have a big earthquake someday but the Mormon Church has all this survival preparation they teach and also major food storage and safety shelters. They are planning for the end. The chuch will take care of their people and they are very nice they would take care of me and my kids too.

Kathianne
03-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Yeah I think about that alot too. When Hurricane Katrina happened and I saw all the poor people wading in water and dying, I thought I'm blind as a bat if anyone tried to steal my babies I wouldn't even be able to give a description without contacts or glasses. So then I got lasik eye surgery. LOL. Utah is supposed to have a big earthquake someday but the Mormon Church has all this survival preparation they teach and also major food storage and safety shelters. They are planning for the end. The chuch will take care of their people and they are very nice they would take care of me and my kids too.

I've always kept bottled water in basement, my folks did that for some reason, so I've kept that up. I've enough food for probably 2 months, not necessarily what we'd choose to eat, but it's there if needed-without cooking. My brother and I have been talking about making a 'prepared area' at our parents old summer home, where we could all meet if necessary. There are generators, both gas and battery. It already has a root cellar and a cold pond on property. Plenty of firewood and trees if somehow we should run short. Fireplace naturally, along with the cast iron posts and rack to cook over. Hunting is quite plentiful and lots of farms in area, um yeah, he can shoot. It's only an hour 1/2. from here.

Binky
03-06-2010, 09:40 AM
If in a large city, move. Stock up on can goods and nonperishable foods. Do most of the same things survivalists do. Learn to be self sufficient. An electric generator would be very handy to have. And be sure to have at least one gun. And ammo. Money, gold, jewelry will all be worthless. Sugar, salt, spices will be the barter staples.

The dark lord is planning to change the American dream into the American nightmare.

These are all the same things I was thinking of. I would also stock up on any medical supples. Matches. Firewood. More blankets. (when the shit hits the fan, there won't be any electricity or gas) So having more blankets will be a key factor in survival..... Lanterns, flashlights......I have two that don't use batteries or wicks....They have a little crank on the side that pulls out and you just "wind" them up to get the full light from them and then repeat when the light runs out. Check sporting goods stores for them. Fishing poles and tackle. A huge hunting knife. Bottled water. Warm clothing.

And getting out of the city is going to be quite an undertaking if and when the breakdown occurs. So if one is paying attention and keeping up on the news, then just get up, walk off your job, and leave before everyone else. The main highways will be log jammed so look for an alternative route out of the city.... Make a plan as to where you would go... Food, medical supplies, water, weapons and ammo will be much more valuble than money and gold..... And hang on tight to whatever you have managed to stockpile because those without will come and take what they need from you in order to survive..... Be prepared.....

My family and I have discussed this very thing several times over the last three years.....We're not doom sayers, but those that have closely watched what was going on in the country.... And I have to agree with another poster that things are going to get much worse before they get better......

Kathianne
03-06-2010, 09:42 AM
These are all the same things I was thinking of. I would also stock up on any medical supples. Matches. Firewood. More blankets. (when the shit hits the fan, there won't be any electricity or gas) So having more blankets will be a key factor in survival..... Lanterns, flashlights......I have two that don't use batteries or wicks....They have a little crank on the side that pulls out and you just "wind" them up to get the full light from them and then repeat when the light runs out. Check sporting goods stores for them. Fishing poles and tackle. A huge hunting knife. Bottled water. Warm clothing.

And getting out of the city is going to be quite an undertaking if and when the breakdown occurs. So if one is paying attention and keeping up on the news, then just get up, walk off your job, and leave before everyone else. The main highways will be logged jammed so look for an alternative route out of the city.... Make a plan as to where you would go... Food, medical supplies, water, weapons and ammo will be much more valuble than money and gold..... And hang on tight to whatever you have managed to stockpile because those without will come and take what they need from you in order to survive..... Be prepared.....

My family and I have discussed this very thing several times over the last three years.....We're not doom sayers, but those that have closely watched what was going on in the country.... And I have to agree with another poster that things are going to get much worse before they get better......

Good point about the roads. While I80 route is an hour and 1/2, there is an 'alternate road' I can pick up about 5 miles from here and take all the way to the summer house. It will probably take 4-5 hours, but still doable.

krisy
03-06-2010, 09:49 AM
I have thought about this too,but unfortunately at this time we have nothing stockpiled. There just isn't a lot of money to. I suppose I could start buying water once a week at the store and just a couple of extra things.

My grandma lived through the depression and used to tell me about it. Most of us can't comprehend living like that. They used to eat a lot of potato soup made with water,potatos and maybe salt.....yummy!!!:eek: It sounded at times like they lived on potatos and crackers.

chloe
03-06-2010, 09:51 AM
I've always kept bottled water in basement, my folks did that for some reason, so I've kept that up. I've enough food for probably 2 months, not necessarily what we'd choose to eat, but it's there if needed-without cooking. My brother and I have been talking about making a 'prepared area' at our parents old summer home, where we could all meet if necessary. There are generators, both gas and battery. It already has a root cellar and a cold pond on property. Plenty of firewood and trees if somehow we should run short. Fireplace naturally, along with the cast iron posts and rack to cook over. Hunting is quite plentiful and lots of farms in area, um yeah, he can shoot. It's only an hour 1/2. from here.

I suppose I should learn how to shoot a gun, sdo you know how? Its just me and my two daughters at my house, but my mom and stepdad live 5 minutes away. I guess I always rely on him protecting us but he is getting old.

Kathianne
03-06-2010, 09:57 AM
I have thought about this too,but unfortunately at this time we have nothing stockpiled. There just isn't a lot of money to. I suppose I could start buying water once a week at the store and just a couple of extra things.

My grandma lived through the depression and used to tell me about it. Most of us can't comprehend living like that. They used to eat a lot of potato soup made with water,potatos and maybe salt.....yummy!!!:eek: It sounded at times like they lived on potatos and crackers.

That is how I built the 'stockpile' we have. Big containers of water when on sale and I had the boys to carry into basement-remember though to rotate, I use probably a big bottle a month, by filling up containers for fridge. Don't want stale water.

Buy canned goods when ridiculously priced, whether you like them or not-I've got shelves downstairs filled with 10 and 20 cents a can stuff. No, for the most part not things I'd use, but they are there if needed. Also a very handy supply of 'canned goods' for the poor. It's not like it's 'icky food', it's not. Canned veggies, stews, chillies, hash, things like that. I just don't use those foods day-to-day. However, if hungry? Pretty good, I'm sure. While it's normal now for all those to have 'expiration dates' on them, for the most part I just ignore. In emergency they'll be good enough for life-just watch for any 'rust' or bulging can. Always, always smell anything before eating, but we all do that already. ;)

I've always had first aid things at home and in my car. Another thing learned from my folks. Amazon often puts their kits on sale, watch for them.

Binky
03-06-2010, 10:12 AM
I suppose I should learn how to shoot a gun, sdo you know how? Its just me and my two daughters at my house, but my mom and stepdad live 5 minutes away. I guess I always rely on him protecting us but he is getting old.

If you have a gun(and not a teeny pea shooter), and someone is breaking into your home and trying to cause you harm, I think if you just aimed and fired you'd hit 'em. But you will want a gun with stopping power. A 22 cal. which is small, is not good for self protection. You'd have to be a good shot to hit them in the head somewhere and stop them... But with a 9 mm and a 45 will do the job.....

chloe
03-06-2010, 10:16 AM
If you have a gun(and not a teeny pea shooter), and someone is breaking into your home and trying to cause you harm, I think if you just aimed and fired you'd hit 'em. But you will want a gun with stopping power. A 22 cal. which is small, is not good for self protection. You'd have to be a good shot to hit them in the head somewhere and stop them... But with a 9 mm and a 45 will do the job.....

My step dad has lots of guns but I don't have any. He's a correctional Officer at the State Prison. I guess I'm screwed if someone tries to break in. I suppose I should learn how to use a gun. My neighbor is pretty attentive though I think he would prolly shoot an intruder if he saw someone sneaking around.

Binky
03-06-2010, 10:23 AM
My step dad has lots of guns but I don't have any. He's a correctional Officer at the State Prison. I guess I'm screwed if someone tries to break in. I suppose I should learn how to use a gun. My neighbor is pretty attentive though I think he would prolly shoot an intruder if he saw someone sneaking around.

Maybe, if he were home when it happened.....

krisy
03-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Wow. I never really thought of all the things you would really need. We don't own a gun and honestly they kind of intimidate me,but I know if I had to use one to protect my kids I would. My dad took my husband and I to a shooitng range before we were married and I shot one. It literally made my body bouce back when I shot it. The sheer power of it scared me a little.

I try not to think too much about what could come of our economy because its upsetting,but I suppose we should be more prepared than we are.

Kathianne
03-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Because I was thinking of this, thought I'd look and share:

http://gardening.about.com/od/vegetablepatch/a/ContainerVeggie.htm

...Seed companies realize that homeowners have less and less space to devote to vegetable gardens. Every year they come out with new vegetable plant varieties suitable for growing in small spaces and vegetable container gardens.

Be on the look out for key words like: bush, compact, and space saver. Here are some vegetable plant varieties to get your vegetable container garden growing.

Cucumbers: Salad Bush Hybrid, Spacemaster, Bush Pickle
Eggplant: Bambino, Slim Jim
Green Beans: (Pole beans give a higher yield in a small footprint) Blue Lake, Kentucky Wonder, French Dwarf
Green Onions: Beltsville Bunching, Crysal Wax, Evergreen Bunching
Leaf Lettuce: Buttercrunch, Salad Bowl, Bibb
Peppers: Frigitello, Cubanelle, Sweet Banana, Apple (Hot) Red Cherry, Jalapeno, Robustini
Radishes: Cherry Belle, Scarlet Globe, (White) Icicle
Squash: Ronde de Nice, Gold Rush
Tomatoes: Patio, Pixie, Tiny Tim, Saladette, Toy Boy, Spring Giant, Tumbling Tom, Small Fry

crin63
03-06-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm sure a lot of the people at my church will pool resources, I know I'm willing. I already told my wife to plan on people from church living with us because our home is paid for.

In a few weeks (after I clean up my garage) I'm going to start stock piling some food and water. Stuff we already eat and just rotate it in, then replenish it as we use it. I have a solar powered water purifier and I'm giving serious thought to getting solar panels and a generator to keep things running. I'm good on the guns part, in fact one of my Sheriff buddies said he is coming to my house if things ever get dicey.

There is lots of speculation that gold and silver will be worthless, however if you survive it should give you a financial stake in whatever currency emerges.

There is also a fair amount of speculation that ammo will be a great bartering item. I'm pretty good there also.

I would very much like to get a 2nd house in the local mountains to use for vacations and a place to let friends use to get away when they want too.

Mr. P
03-06-2010, 01:00 PM
This thread continues to remind me of one truth. Urban folks? Well, good luck.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I4s0nzsU1Wg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I4s0nzsU1Wg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

SassyLady
03-12-2010, 05:08 AM
I do live in the country........lived here for 17 years. Never locked my doors ... even when we went out of town........been feeling uneasy for the last year. Two months ago we installed a full security system. In addition we have several forms of defense .... we have perimeter security for the property.... we have guns, dogs, etc.

We are currenty discussing building a "emergency storage area" .... a place that won't be crushed in an earthquake by falling buildings or trees. At first we were going to just make it a shed like you buy at Home Depot. Then we talked about building something more solid ..... like a safe room. The more we talked the more I felt like I did when I was a kid and everyone was building a "bomb shelter".

At any rate........I would be totally alone if anything did happen because my husband is in the military and won't be here to protect me and my kids are 1,000 miles away.