PDA

View Full Version : Let's get out our crystal ball

Abbey Marie
04-23-2007, 04:08 PM
There were 10 murders by gun in Philadelphia just this weekend and an 11th person who was shot before the weekend died of the injuries. Nine were wounded from shootings or stabbings.

At least 10 people died over the weekend as bullets cut through several Philadelphia neighborhoods - including Center City, where homicides are rare - and at a barbecue in West Philadelphia. At least nine others were wounded in shootings or stabbings.
Despite the national spotlight on gun violence after the Virginia Tech massacre and at least three antiviolence conferences held in Philadelphia last week, the homicide toll climbed to 127, rising as the temperature hit the high 70s.

Let's speculate. If we had handgun control, as is proposed in another thread, what do you think would have happened in Philly this weekend? Would those 11 people still be alive? Would some of them have died, but others lived? Would they all have been killed with shotguns instead? Knives?

Little-Acorn
04-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Let's speculate. If we had handgun control, as is proposed in another thread, what do you think would have happened in Philly this weekend? Would those 11 people still be alive? Would some of them have died, but others lived? Would they all have been killed with shotguns instead? Knives?
You've only covered part of the issue.

Would more robberies/assaults/etc. have been committed in Philadelphia? Would criminals (who don't obey gun-control laws) have taken more advantage of the fact they would now face disarmed victims, and committed more crimes? How many of the victims of those additional crimes, have died? How many would be wounded. How many raped? That's in addition to the ones you mentioned above.

Is there any chance that any of the victims of these additional crimes, would be better off than if we hadn't had "gun control", and those crimes hadn't been committed? If the criminal had been fearful enough of the chance someone was armed, and so didn't do the crime?

Remember... look at the ENTIRE picture.

Abbey Marie
04-23-2007, 04:19 PM

Would more robberies/assaults/etc. have been committed in Philadelphia? Would criminals (who don't obey gun-control laws) have taken more advantage of the fact they would now face disarmed victims, and committed more crimes? How many of the victims of those additional crimes, have died? How many would be wounded. How many raped? That's in addition to the ones you mentioned above.

Is there any chance that any of the victims of these additional crimes, would be better off than if we hadn't had "gun control", and those crimes hadn't been committed? If the criminal had been fearful enough of the chance someone was armed, and so didn't do the crime?

Lordy. Make your own poll, then. :(

Kathianne
04-23-2007, 04:19 PM
I wanted to vote both the bottom choices, but alas chose the one everyone else did, so far. Dang it, just re-read poll, I'm the only one that voted. Need a 'hitting self in head' smilie!

Abbey Marie
04-23-2007, 04:32 PM
I wanted to vote both the bottom choices, but alas chose the one everyone else did, so far. Dang it, just re-read poll, I'm the only one that voted. Need a 'hitting self in head' smilie!

You should have waited to 'fess up. There are more votes there now. :salute:

Kathianne
04-23-2007, 04:35 PM
You should have waited to 'fess up. There are more votes there now. :salute:

LOL, I'm an honest person, if sometimes misguided. :coffee:

Abbey Marie
04-23-2007, 04:35 PM
LOL, I'm an honest person, if sometimes misguided. :coffee:

:thumb:

Little-Acorn
04-23-2007, 04:47 PM
Lordy. Make your own poll, then. :(

Oops, didn't see that you had a poll in this thread, sorry.

But now I guess I need to point out that none of its choices, cover the situation you presented.

Where's the "Some wouold have been killed anyway by illegal handguns, a few would have been killed by knives, long guns etc., a few might not have been killed at all, and a number of additional people who weren't involved in a crime last weekend, now would have been, and some of them would probably have been killed too" choice?

Please don't blame me if your poll doesn't match reality. :slap:

Hagbard Celine
04-23-2007, 04:50 PM

I think your position is based on a flawed assumption. I'm guessing you assume that if handguns were illegal, it would be just as easy to get one illegally as it is now under the current system in which guns are legal, but that wouldn't be the case. Currently, an illegal arms dealer can go to a gun show, buy his stock legally and then pass them on, illegally, to the criminal element. If guns were illegal, it would be much more difficult for the "dealer" to buy stock.

Also, the age-old argument you've used against "gun control" is totally wacked. You posit that there would be less gun violence if everyone was armed. I think that's wacky. If everyone was armed, the incidence of gun violence would increase due to the higher prevalence of gun ownership. And as an aside, I wouldn't want to live in a society where "fear" of a shoot-out was the driving social force behind civil behavior. Take a look at Baghdad and you'll see what I mean. Do you really think a fully-armed populace would make this country a better place to live?

btw I voted "B"

Abbey Marie
04-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Oops, didn't see that you had a poll in this thread, sorry.

But now I guess I need to point out that none of its choices, cover the situation you presented.

Where's the "Some wouold have been killed anyway by illegal handguns, a few would have been killed by knives, long guns etc., a few might not have been killed at all, and a number of additional people who weren't involved in a crime last weekend, now would have been, and some of them would probably have been killed too" choice?

Please don't blame me if your poll doesn't match reality. :slap:

Your wish that I wrote my poll to match your desires does not mean it does not reflect reality. It may not be exhaustive, but there are text limits, too, I believe.

Here's a couple of new selections for you:
Vote
Don't vote, or
Make your own superior poll that reflects reality as you see it.

I won't hold it against you either way. ;.)