PDA

View Full Version : Are You Snoring Yourself To Death?

Shadow
03-07-2010, 01:23 PM
"If you're one of those people resigned to living with a snoring problem...read on!

Snoring is one of the unfortunate realities of life. Most of us do it to some degree and generally speaking, the older we get the worse the condition gets.

Snoring can kill

For 1 in 6 people snoring is a serious health issue."

http://www.howlifeworks.com/health_beauty/snore_strap/?cid=8088pe_news_rm

darin
03-07-2010, 01:49 PM
my snoring is induced by our president or democrat "leadership" lying on TV.

Trigg
03-07-2010, 03:27 PM
I had a snoring problem, but I learned that if I elbow him in the side he rolls over. :coffee:

Shadow
03-07-2010, 04:12 PM
my snoring is induced by our president or democrat "leadership" lying on TV.

Lying or just the droning on and on and on (and saying nothing). I think he likes the sound of his own voice sometimes.

darin
03-07-2010, 05:21 PM
same thing - they lie when they talk.

PostmodernProphet
03-07-2010, 06:21 PM
I confess to having sleep apnea...I have been using a CPAP machine for over ten years.....I finally went in for a diagnosis when I woke up in the middle of a field about a hundred yards away from the highway.......not something to ignore.....

crin63
03-07-2010, 06:46 PM
"If you're one of those people resigned to living with a snoring problem...read on!

Snoring is one of the unfortunate realities of life. Most of us do it to some degree and generally speaking, the older we get the worse the condition gets.

Snoring can kill

For 1 in 6 people snoring is a serious health issue."

http://www.howlifeworks.com/health_beauty/snore_strap/?cid=8088pe_news_rm

I've had sleep apnea for several years. Its both obstructive and central nervous system related. I cannot use a CPAP or BIPAP because they cause me to be more fatigued than when I don't use them. The CPAP is like running a marathon every night and the BIPAP is like running a marathon every other night with no sleep between.

I'm in a catch 22 situation. If I go into REM sleep it causes me to be fatigued because of the way it works my brain while I sleep. If I don't go into REM sleep I don't get good sleep.

I use a custom made dental appliance from my dentist that holds my bottom jaw forward while I sleep. That has been the best solution for me, it at least in part addresses the sleep apnea.

Shadow
03-07-2010, 09:58 PM
I confess to having sleep apnea...I have been using a CPAP machine for over ten years.....I finally went in for a diagnosis when I woke up in the middle of a field about a hundred yards away from the highway.......not something to ignore.....

Sleep walking can be pretty scary. I prevented my brother from leaving out the front door several times when he was younger during sleep walking episodes. He has also walked into a wall and hurt himself before...plus,sleep apnea causes you to stop breathing for periods...that can't be good either.

Shadow
03-07-2010, 10:06 PM
I've had sleep apnea for several years. Its both obstructive and central nervous system related. I cannot use a CPAP or BIPAP because they cause me to be more fatigued than when I don't use them. The CPAP is like running a marathon every night and the BIPAP is like running a marathon every other night with no sleep between.

I'm in a catch 22 situation. If I go into REM sleep it causes me to be fatigued because of the way it works my brain while I sleep. If I don't go into REM sleep I don't get good sleep.

I use a custom made dental appliance from my dentist that holds my bottom jaw forward while I sleep. That has been the best solution for me, it at least in part addresses the sleep apnea.

I read somewhere that one of the long term side effects of the CPAP Machine is that prolonged use can cause hypertension. Is that from the fatigue? I have a friend that uses the dental mouth piece to open airways that close at night due to severe athsma. He says they work well also.

PostmodernProphet
03-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Sleep walking can be pretty scary. I prevented my brother from leaving out the front door several times when he was younger during sleep walking episodes. He has also walked into a wall and hurt himself before...plus,sleep apnea causes you to stop breathing for periods...that can't be good either.

I wasn't walking.....it was in the middle of the day and I was in my van.....

Shadow
03-07-2010, 10:43 PM
So did you drive off the road? If so that is pretty scary. Have you ever experienced cluster headaches? Sometimes I wake up with what I thought were migraines (and they can last several days). I was reading up on sleep disorders and learned that what I may actually be getting are sleep related cluster headaches. They effect one side of the face usually directly behind the eye. I may talk to my doctor about this during my next visit.

actsnoblemartin
03-07-2010, 10:47 PM
im just glad youre ok, my friend

:beer:

PostmodernProphet
03-08-2010, 07:29 AM
So did you drive off the road?

yes....and no I haven't experienced the headaches.....

crin63
03-08-2010, 09:54 AM
I read somewhere that one of the long term side effects of the CPAP Machine is that prolonged use can cause hypertension. Is that from the fatigue? I have a friend that uses the dental mouth piece to open airways that close at night due to severe athsma. He says they work well also.

I was told that untreated sleep apnea causes hypertension. I've never hear of the CPAP causing it, thats interesting. A BIPAP is supposed to let you breathe out normally instead of against the pressure like a CPAP. I found toward the end that I was holding my breath against the pressure and only breathing occasionally between pressure cycles.

We treat my daughters asthma with Chiropractic and plenty of water. She was using an inhaler but she couldn't play her flute even with the inhaler. She was at the Chiropractor with me, she was reading the docs chart on what can be treated with Chiropractics and it said Asthma. So we inquired,
the doc did xrays, reviewed them with us and then adjusted her back and neck. She went home and played her flute as much as she wanted too.

im just glad youre ok, my friend

:beer:

Thanks Martin!!

Shadow
03-08-2010, 11:17 PM
I was told that untreated sleep apnea causes hypertension. I've never hear of the CPAP causing it, thats interesting. A BIPAP is supposed to let you breathe out normally instead of against the pressure like a CPAP. I found toward the end that I was holding my breath against the pressure and only breathing occasionally between pressure cycles.

We treat my daughters asthma with Chiropractic and plenty of water. She was using an inhaler but she couldn't play her flute even with the inhaler. She was at the Chiropractor with me, she was reading the docs chart on what can be treated with Chiropractics and it said Asthma. So we inquired,
the doc did xrays, reviewed them with us and then adjusted her back and neck. She went home and played her flute as much as she wanted too.

Thanks Martin!!

The only other side effects listed that I can remember reading about at the moment were headaches (could be from holding your breath during sleep like you mentioned), and claustrophobia. Headaches I am definately trying to avoid. I will see if I can find the article I was looking at online.

I have a couple friends that like to have acupuncture treatments for everything from headaches,alergies to athsma etc... don't think I would like that,even though they say it works wonders for them.

Shadow
03-09-2010, 12:20 AM

Thanks Martin!!

I think I was actually looking at the side effects that occur when the air pressure on the machine is set incorrectly because I can't find the article I was originally reading,and the others don't mention CPAP causing high blood pressure unless used wrong. CSA episodes I think they are called...where it makes the apnea worse. Sorry for the confusion.

crin63
03-09-2010, 09:52 AM
The only other side effects listed that I can remember reading about at the moment were headaches (could be from holding your breath during sleep like you mentioned), and claustrophobia. Headaches I am definately trying to avoid. I will see if I can find the article I was looking at online.

I have a couple friends that like to have acupuncture treatments for everything from headaches,alergies to athsma etc... don't think I would like that,even though they say it works wonders for them.

I tried acupuncture and I felt generally better afterward but it didn't address any problems I was having at the time. What I can tell you is that you definitely don't want to have a muscle cramp up while it has the needle in it, that is real pain. The needles between the toes and in the hands were painful as well. The thing that has done the most for me overall is chiropractic and MRT (massage). The MRT has helped with various other issues including digestive.

Shadow
03-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Yeah... getting poked with needles doesn't sound very relaxing or pleasant to me for some reason. I think it would just cause me more anxiety LOL.

MRT Benefits

Muscle/Myofascial Release Therapy (MRT) provides relief for the entire body and may help with the following:

Shoulder pain/tension

Headaches/migraines

Stress reduction

also:

Improve your posture

Encourage deeper breathing that results in increased oxygen to your entire body and a strengthened diaphragm

Help your body realign to its natural position

for more benefits...

http://www.rhondagraves.com/mrtbenefits.html

Sounds much better to me.