PDA

View Full Version : Republicans scold Liz Cheney

LiberalNation
03-08-2010, 04:35 PM
gay republicans, got to love em.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20100308/pl_politico/34050

A group that includes leading conservative lawyers and policy experts, former Independent Counsel Kenneth Starr and several senior officials of the last Bush administration is denouncing as “shameful” Republican attacks on lawyers who came to the Obama Justice Department after representing suspected terrorists.

Senate Republicans have demanded details of the lawyers' past work and Liz Cheney’s group “Keep America Safe” has questioned their “values." A drumbeat of Republican criticism forced the Justice Department reluctantly to identify seven of them last week. But the harshness of the criticism – Keep America Safe labeled a group of them the “Al Qaeda Seven” — has provoked a backlash from across the legal establishment.

“We consider these attacks both unjust to the individuals in question and destructive of any attempt to build lasting mechanisms for counterterrorism adjudications,” wrote the 19 lawyers whose names were attached to the statement as of early Monday.

The statement cited John Adams’s defense of British soldiers charged in the Boston Massacre to argue that “zealous representation of unpopular clients” is an important American tradition.

The attacks on the lawyers “undermine the Justice system more broadly,” they wrote, by “delegitimizing” any system in which accused terrorists have lawyers, whether civilian courts of military tribunals.

The letter’s signers include some of the top officials of a Bush Justice Department that wrestled at length with the legal questions surrounding terrorist detentions.

Bob
03-11-2010, 02:24 PM
And here I am, ready to vote on the Palin/Liz Cheney ticket!

Somebody's always upsetting my applecart.

Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

stephanie
03-11-2010, 03:09 PM
They can just Stfu. Liz has a right to speak what she thinks.

LiberalNation
03-11-2010, 03:35 PM
we also have the right to critisize her for those views.

Mr. P
03-11-2010, 04:12 PM
we also have the right to critisize her for those views.

Yeah, but you'd be better served to focus on your dismal future under the current "elected" President and his crew and what you might do to save yer ass before it's too late.

jimnyc
03-11-2010, 05:16 PM
LN, another entire article posted, which I've edited. Please try and remember the rules about posting entire articles.