PDA

View Full Version : Tax soda, pizza to cut obesity, researchers say

LiberalNation
03-08-2010, 08:34 PM
fuck that.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100308/us_nm/us_food_tax;_ylt=Al7PoDVuucHJMWgDWdGTGKOs0NUE;_ylu =X3oDMTNmb29kdGd0BGFzc2V0A25tLzIwMTAwMzA4L3VzX2Zvb 2RfdGF4BGNjb2RlA21vc3Rwb3B1bGFyBGNwb3MDOQRwb3MDNgR wdANob21lX2Nva2UEc2VjA3luX2hlYWRsaW5lX2xpc3QEc2xrA 3RheHNvZGFwaXp6YQ--

CHICAGO (Reuters) – U.S. researchers estimate that an 18 percent tax on pizza and soda can push down U.S. adults' calorie intake enough to lower their average weight by 5 pounds (2 kg) per year.

The researchers, writing in the journal Archives of Internal Medicine on Monday, suggested taxing could be used as a weapon in the fight against obesity, which costs the United States an estimated $147 billion a year in health costs.

"While such policies will not solve the obesity epidemic in its entirety and may face considerable opposition from food manufacturers and sellers, they could prove an important strategy to address overconsumption, help reduce energy intake and potentially aid in weight loss and reduced rates of diabetes among U.S. adults," wrote the team led by Kiyah Duffey of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

With two-thirds of Americans either overweight or obese, policymakers are increasingly looking at taxing as a way to address obesity on a population level.

California and Philadelphia have introduced legislation to tax soft drinks to try to limit consumption.

CDC director Dr. Thomas Frieden supports taxes on soft drinks, as does the American Heart Association.

There are early signs that such a policy works.

Duffey's team analyzed the diets and health of 5,115 young adults aged age 18 to 30 from 1985 to 2006.

They compared data on food prices during the same time. Over a 20-year period, a 10 percent increase in cost was linked with a 7 percent decrease in the amount of calories consumed from soda and a 12 percent decrease in calories consumed from pizza.

The team estimates that an 18 percent tax on these foods could cut daily intake by 56 calories per person, resulting in a weight loss of 5 pounds (2 kg) per person per year.

"Our findings suggest that national, state or local policies to alter the price of less healthful foods and beverages may be one possible mechanism for steering U.S. adults toward a more healthful diet," Duffey and colleagues wrote.

In a commentary, Drs. Mitchell Katz and Rajiv Bhatia of the San Francisco Department of Public Health said taxes are an appropriate way to correct a market that favors unhealthy food choices over healthier options.

They argued that the U.S. government should carefully consider food subsidies that contribute to the problem.

"Sadly, we are currently subsidizing the wrong things including the product of corn, which makes the corn syrup in sweetened beverages so inexpensive," they wrote.

Instead, they argued that agricultural subsidies should be used to make healthful foods such as locally grown vegetables, fruits and whole grains less expensive.

Jeff
03-08-2010, 08:40 PM
OK, so another tax for our own good :eek: I remember saying when they raised the tax on cigarettes that was just the start, everyone argued that it was a good thing, so now pay that extra for a slice and a coke, Seems to me I can figure out when I should stop eating pizza or drink something other than soda, as I am sure most can do, just another way to bring in revenue , and Obama states his health care wont cost :eek:

MtnBiker
03-09-2010, 12:42 AM
fuck that.

Not much of a difference from the tax that the government collects on alcohol and cigarettes.

LiberalNation
03-09-2010, 09:21 AM
yeah but I don't drink or smoke, soda however is my lifeblood.

red states rule
03-09-2010, 09:31 AM

Hey get with the program and learn. The morally and intellectually superior left knows more then you - and they know what is best for you

So pay your fair share, sit down, and speak when you are spoken to by your fellow liberals.

Funny how liberals love other people to pay taxes, but when they may have to pay them then they have a problem with tax increases

HogTrash
03-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Awhhh, ain't that sweet...The government is looking out for us...They must really care.

red states rule
03-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Awhhh, ain't that sweet...The government is looking out for us...They must really care.

Yep, libs are showing they care for the stupid masses. Big Soda and Big Pizza are the cause for major health problems. They make obscene profits off killing people and they must be regulated and taxed. Or say the nanny state liberals. People are to stupid to make the correct choices - so government must make those decisions for them

Looks like LN is learning that companies do not pay those tax increases - she will pay those tax increases when she pays the higher price for her soda

Nukeman
03-09-2010, 09:47 AM

Yaa well I don't drink soda so tough!!!!! You should pay your fair share of these "vice" taxes!!! either that or ALL should be abolished!!!

red states rule
03-09-2010, 09:49 AM
Yaa well I don't drink soda so tough!!!!! You should pay your fair share of these "vice" taxes!!! either that or ALL should be abolished!!!

She needs to learn how she should live her life to avoid those taxes. That is the liberal way

Conform or pay

HogTrash
03-09-2010, 09:51 AM
When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free. ~ Charles Evans Hughes

This is a bit oxymoronic for a liberal, unless they are oblivious to their own ideology.

03-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Pizza huh? Thats one of the few foods people eat that actually has a number of vegetables! That seems rather counter productive.

Jeff
03-09-2010, 12:37 PM
She needs to learn how she should live her life to avoid those taxes. That is the liberal way

Conform or pay

That is what everyone said when they came out with cigarette tax, " ya don't have to smoke " I said then and still say this is only the beginning, First alcohol and cigarettes now junk food, whats next if ya live in the city ya pay more taxes? Hell there are more accidents and crime in the big cities than in the country , so it would be for your own good to try and discourage people to live there

krisy
03-09-2010, 04:28 PM
How the heck is loosing 5 pounds a year going to help anyone anyway?!!!

actsnoblemartin
03-09-2010, 04:31 PM
am i the only one that thinks people will do whatever it takes to get their drug of choice, including lying, stealing, munipulating and robbing people?

That is what everyone said when they came out with cigarette tax, " ya don't have to smoke " I said then and still say this is only the beginning, First alcohol and cigarettes now junk food, whats next if ya live in the city ya pay more taxes? Hell there are more accidents and crime in the big cities than in the country , so it would be for your own good to try and discourage people to live there

HogTrash
03-09-2010, 05:05 PM
am i the only one that thinks people will do whatever it takes to get their drug of choice, including lying, stealing, munipulating and robbing people?An addicts addiction comes first...It takes the back seat to nothing.

Kathianne
03-09-2010, 05:19 PM
fuck that.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100308/us_nm/us_food_tax;_ylt=Al7PoDVuucHJMWgDWdGTGKOs0NUE;_ylu =X3oDMTNmb29kdGd0BGFzc2V0A25tLzIwMTAwMzA4L3VzX2Zvb 2RfdGF4BGNjb2RlA21vc3Rwb3B1bGFyBGNwb3MDOQRwb3MDNgR wdANob21lX2Nva2UEc2VjA3luX2hlYWRsaW5lX2xpc3QEc2xrA 3RheHNvZGFwaXp6YQ--

CHICAGO (Reuters) – U.S. researchers estimate that an 18 percent tax on pizza and soda can push down U.S. adults' calorie intake enough to lower their average weight by 5 pounds (2 kg) per year.

The researchers, writing in the journal Archives of Internal Medicine on Monday, suggested taxing could be used as a weapon in the fight against obesity, which costs the United States an estimated $147 billion a year in health costs.

"While such policies will not solve the obesity epidemic in its entirety and may face considerable opposition from food manufacturers and sellers, they could prove an important strategy to address overconsumption, help reduce energy intake and potentially aid in weight loss and reduced rates of diabetes among U.S. adults," wrote the team led by Kiyah Duffey of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

With two-thirds of Americans either overweight or obese, policymakers are increasingly looking at taxing as a way to address obesity on a population level.

California and Philadelphia have introduced legislation to tax soft drinks to try to limit consumption.

CDC director Dr. Thomas Frieden supports taxes on soft drinks, as does the American Heart Association.

There are early signs that such a policy works.

Duffey's team analyzed the diets and health of 5,115 young adults aged age 18 to 30 from 1985 to 2006.

They compared data on food prices during the same time. Over a 20-year period, a 10 percent increase in cost was linked with a 7 percent decrease in the amount of calories consumed from soda and a 12 percent decrease in calories consumed from pizza.

The team estimates that an 18 percent tax on these foods could cut daily intake by 56 calories per person, resulting in a weight loss of 5 pounds (2 kg) per person per year.

"Our findings suggest that national, state or local policies to alter the price of less healthful foods and beverages may be one possible mechanism for steering U.S. adults toward a more healthful diet," Duffey and colleagues wrote.

In a commentary, Drs. Mitchell Katz and Rajiv Bhatia of the San Francisco Department of Public Health said taxes are an appropriate way to correct a market that favors unhealthy food choices over healthier options.

They argued that the U.S. government should carefully consider food subsidies that contribute to the problem.

"Sadly, we are currently subsidizing the wrong things including the product of corn, which makes the corn syrup in sweetened beverages so inexpensive," they wrote.

Instead, they argued that agricultural subsidies should be used to make healthful foods such as locally grown vegetables, fruits and whole grains less expensive.

Screw the taxes and remove the subsidies.

REDWHITEBLUE2
03-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Hell here in WA State they just voted in 75 new taxes including taxing bottled water Candy and Gum Guess the kids will have to cut back on their Sugar Highs

krisy
03-09-2010, 08:03 PM
I knew this was coming. They have been talking about junk food tax for a while. To me,this is one of the worst forms of government intrusion. Punishing us for what we eat. Aren't our grocery bills high enough all ready without now having to feel guilty for buying some "treats" for the weekend?

What hasn't been taxed yet?

-Cp
03-09-2010, 08:11 PM
How the heck is loosing 5 pounds a year going to help anyone anyway?!!!

It's not - but it's the only excuse Govt. needs to put out yet another lame tax..

HogTrash
03-09-2010, 08:38 PM
It's not - but it's the only excuse Govt. needs to put out yet another lame tax..Liberals, progressives and democrats love taxes and will in fact tax anything they can monitor, measure or put a meter on.

03-09-2010, 08:51 PM
I knew this was coming. They have been talking about junk food tax for a while. To me,this is one of the worst forms of government intrusion. Punishing us for what we eat. Aren't our grocery bills high enough all ready without now having to feel guilty for buying some "treats" for the weekend?

What hasn't been taxed yet?

sex

LiberalNation
03-09-2010, 08:51 PM
is it not in nevada?

red states rule
03-10-2010, 08:22 AM
Sorry about this LN, but the liberal media is waving the pom poms for higher taxes period - and want you to pay more for your soda

Why are you being so greedy and not wanting to pay your fair share? Do you not care about the children?

Why do you hate America?

CBS Touts Soda Tax As 'Good for Waistline and Bottom Line'

Concluding a report on proposed soda taxes across the country on Monday's CBS Evening News, correspondent Michelle Miller gleefully proclaimed how such a tax would help fight obesity and fill local government coffers: "New York's mayor estimates a tax would raise a billion dollars, suggesting what's good for the waistline could be good for the bottom line."

Miller began the segment by touting: "When former President Bill Clinton enlisted the beverage industry in fighting childhood obesity, he did not expect this much progress in just four years." A clip was played of Clinton reporting: "There has been an 88% reduction in the total beverage calories shipped to schools." Miller then declared: "That's still not good enough, say some public health officials. A growing number of cities and states wants to reduce adult consumption of sugary drinks by taxing them."

Revealing how bad such a tax would be for the "bottom line" of consumers, Miller explained: "New York has revived a proposal to impose a penny per ounce tax on sweetened beverages....[that] would mean this two-liter bottle of coke, which now retails for $1.79, would cost you 68 cents more, for a total of $2.47." She managed to find one man who was happy to pay an even higher amount: "I think it should be two cents per ounce. I don't mind paying more for it, it would probably discourage me from drinking it."

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/kyle-drennen/2010/03/09/cbs-touts-soda-tax-good-waistline-and-bottom-line#ixzz0hmO5zwxM