PDA

View Full Version : *Turkey Racked By Quake: I'm Okay!*

chesswarsnow
03-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. But in the last 24 hours, Turkey got hit again by a huge quake.
2. The news coming out is, *I'm Okay!*
3. As if hundreds upon hundreds were not killed in the quake.
4. They claim only 51 died as of now.
5. Sounds like they don't want our help then.
6. Sounds like 10k died to me at least.
7. Link and Sample:http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2010-03/09/c_13202508.htm

"ANKARA, March 8 (Xinhua) -- The 6.0-magnitude earthquake that struck east Turkey early Monday killed 51 and injured dozens, local government said, a lower toll than earlier reported.

Thirty-four people were being treated at several hospitals around the Karakocan town of the eastern Elazig Province, the epicenter of the earthquake, the Elazig governor's office was quoted by the semi-official Anatolia news agency as saying in a statement.

Rescue efforts ended on Monday afternoon as there were no more people trapped under rubbles, said the agency.

The quake struck Basyurt region of Karakocan town at a depth of 5 km at 4:32 a.m. local time (0232 GMT), said the Istanbul-based Kandilli Observatory and Earthquake Research Institute of Turkey's Bogazici University.

Turkish newspaper Hurriyet Daily News earlier put the death toll of the quake at 57, quoting Karakocan mayor.

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan sent a message of support from the capital Ankara and expressed sorrows over the casualties, the newspaper reported.

Erdogan urged local officials to change the architectural structure in the quake-hit region, where most houses are made of sun-dried bricks.

Ambulance helicopters were sent to the quake zone, while the Turkish Red Crescent had dispatched experienced personnel and relief materials to the area, including 230 tents, 1,000 blankets and 20 prefabricated houses, the prime minister was quoted as saying.

He also warned people not to stay in damaged buildings, according to Hurriyet Daily News.

Altogether 27 aftershocks were reported after the quake and more are expected over the next hours and days, the Istanbul-based institute was quoted by the newspaper as saying."

8. Most these homes were mud brick construction, like that will protect you when it all come tumbling down?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

HogTrash
03-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. But in the last 24 hours, Turkey got hit again by a huge quake.
2. The news coming out is, *I'm Okay!*
3. As if hundreds upon hundreds were not killed in the quake.
4. They claim only 51 died as of now.
5. Sounds like they don't want our help then.
6. Sounds like 10k died to me at least.
7. Link and Sample:http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2010-03/09/c_13202508.htm
Turkey may be too white to qualify for US aid.