PDA

View Full Version : MRI in about 90 minutes

darin
03-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Local Hospital does them all nite.

If the results come back normal I'll want to shoot myself. The frustration of not having a legit diagnosis for the kind of pain i'm in would demoralize me to the point of...heck...might even listen to an obama speech. WITH the volume up.

:(

LiberalNation
03-09-2010, 08:43 PM
Good luck, hope you find the cause of your pain.

Mr. P
03-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Let us know,D. Good luck.

actsnoblemartin
03-09-2010, 09:00 PM
I hope they find a diagnosis/treatment for you :clap:

If the results come back normal I'll want to shoot myself. The frustration of not having a legit diagnosis for the kind of pain i'm in would demoralize me to the point of...heck...might even listen to an obama speech. WITH the volume up.

chesswarsnow
03-09-2010, 09:08 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. I know this must hurt, but try to avoid like hell being cut on.
2. Spinal Decompression, and having your back adjusted is all you may need, with a message or three.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

cat slave
03-09-2010, 10:05 PM
Those are excellent suggestions.

My daughter is having a real problem with her back...bone
spurs...we are looking at the TN Spine and Nerve clinic.
No surgery.

Hope you get better. Sometimes just knowing what it is not
is a huge blessing!

darin
03-09-2010, 11:04 PM
thanks folks - should get word tomorrow from the doctor on what he found. I'm going to get CD scans of the images and will post-up, too...cuz I think that stuff is neat.

Jeff
03-09-2010, 11:05 PM
Good Luck dmp, I hope they find something easy enough to fix

Abbey Marie
03-10-2010, 12:26 AM

That is exactly what I have been going through for 1.5 years. Still no diagnosis. I'll bet you get a diagnosis though.

SassyLady
03-10-2010, 12:36 AM

Hey DMP ..... it took me 18 months, 2 MRI's, 1 cat scan, two separate opinions from two ENT's, a nerve conduction test, a neurologist and a neurosurgeon before I was diagnosed.

Symptoms......severe pain in my left inner ear, tongue going numb, sever pain in the left neck at base of skull, arm and little finger on left hand going numb.

The 1st ENT said I needed to see a "shrink" because I had TMJ - grinding my teeth so I needed to talk it out? :slap:

Second ENT said everything was perfect but couldn't explain the symptoms. Sent me to neurologist at UCSF who couldn't find anything.

Had the CAT Scan and it showed nothing. The nerve conduction study showed nothing. A test to see how my blood was flowing through my veins showed nothing. The first MRI showed nothing.

It was the 2nd MRI - in 3D that finally showed that I have Trigeminal Neuralgia.....which is also referred to as the "suicide disease".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigeminal_neuralgia

Bottom line: there is no cure and yet I was so relieved that I wasn't crazy.

DMP - don't give up if the MRI doesn't show a cause. Keep looking until you have an answer.

Shadow
03-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Hope you find out what's causing your pain,and get relief for it soon. Good luck!

SassyLady
03-12-2010, 05:18 AM
Did you get the results DMP?

darin
03-12-2010, 05:00 PM
thanks guys very much for the support.

MRI shows compressed disk - but says CT scan might better show the cause of the pain I've been having....that's about it. :(

LiberalNation
03-12-2010, 05:18 PM
compression leads to hernia when the soft pulp of the disk leaks out between the hard layer and presses on the spine. Hopefully it's not that bad in your case cuz those require surgery normally.

chesswarsnow
03-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. Ahh.,,,,, compression?
2. Like I been saying, spinal decompression. :dance:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

PostmodernProphet
03-12-2010, 09:38 PM
there must be some kind of mistake.....American health care sucks, remember?......

chesswarsnow
03-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. You don't even need a MRI to know if one of your disks be compressed.
2. X-ray, will do.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

darin
03-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Xray showed it too.

Mr. P
03-12-2010, 10:46 PM
Xray showed it too.

I was surprised they didn't do the Cat scan to start with.

darin
03-12-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm going to pursue that option when I change doctors. Losing confidence the doctor wants to find and cure/treat the pain vs. just helping me 'live with it'.

chesswarsnow
03-12-2010, 11:05 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. You don't even need a doc, you need a good chiropractor, not all of them have the expensive Decompression machines.
2. They are very costly, some 175k I was told.
3. They strap you in, and the machine does a control pull on your lower spine.
4. The fifth disk is very common.
5. And they can pull on it which we relieve the compression, it does work, sounds mid-evil, like being stretched on the rack and all, but it can help.
6. Look into it.
7. If you got insurance, sure they will gladly bill your insurance for a expense cut job, you dont even need.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

darin
03-12-2010, 11:27 PM
Thanks CWN - but honestly, and respectfully, you havent pinpointed the cause. The compression I have doesnt match to the pain I have. I know there is something...MORE there. When my last adjustment was done - at the very beginning of this pain, it put me on my back for 3 solid days. Going to baby-steps this until I can no longer walk, OR die from it because it's something nobody thought to check

:)

Thanks man.

Kathianne
03-13-2010, 12:13 AM
Thanks CWN - but honestly, and respectfully, you havent pinpointed the cause. The compression I have doesnt match to the pain I have. I know there is something...MORE there. When my last adjustment was done - at the very beginning of this pain, it put me on my back for 3 solid days. Going to baby-steps this until I can no longer walk, OR die from it because it's something nobody thought to check

:)

Thanks man.

Back pain is the worst, I think we all pretty much agree with that. There's also the truth that docs have a pretty hard time actually pinpointing the cause of pain, even the degree. That's one of the reasons it is one of the areas of 'pain' faked in auto accidents. There may be abnormalities on variety of 'x-rays' and pain, along with pain and absence of significant abnormalities.

Just my opinion but I agree with you as far as starting first with doc I trust. With that I'd start with method that least invasive/expensive. Same with treatment, first the least drastic, then move up if necessary. Surgery? Not if possible with maintaining decent standard of living without. Possible side effects for me, outweigh the chance of being pain free. There may come a time where the chance of ending up in wheelchair is remote enough to overcome that, but not so far that I am aware of. They just do not have enough knowledge to make this risk advantage to me.

I've known people that claim relief from chiropractic route, yet they seem nearly addicted to these treatments, often within months of beginning, going more than 1 per week. Not saying it's quackery, but I guess I tend more to address the issue and then take maintenance meds if necessary.

It's been over 20 years since I had the two herniated discs, which was the first real back pain I ever had. After the traction I opted not to take meds. Since then arthritis did set in so not great, but I've learned to tell when it seems more than normal, then get very careful in what I do physically, til it feels 'my normal.' I could not take that pain without powerful drugs, worst ever! I get those 'warning twinges' perhaps once/twice a year.

The rest of the time I try to keep as active as I can, it helps. "Use it or lose it" seems to apply with arthritis related issues.

This may sound wrong, but I hope a neurologist can find you have a pinched nerve or something they might be able to address. I pray you find some relief and get to follow the plans you wish.

Mr. P
03-13-2010, 12:15 AM
Just bounce it all off of people you trust. The quest for pain relief alone can cause you to move in a direction that may not be the best.

Kathianne
03-13-2010, 12:21 AM
Just bounce it all off of people you trust. The quest for pain relief alone can cause you to move in a direction that may not be the best.

Also the best advice in finding doctor!

Mr. P
03-13-2010, 12:24 AM
Also the best advice in finding doctor!

Goes without saying.

darin
03-13-2010, 12:47 AM
thank you from the bottom of my heart folks, for your support, advice, and caring.