PDA

View Full Version : Organ Donation

Noir
03-10-2010, 07:52 AM
Having just watched a wee tele program on organ donation, which has lead me to wonder, is it immoral to want to have your organs rot with your body when living (or should that be dying) people could use them?

Nukeman
03-10-2010, 08:15 AM
Having just watched a wee tele program on organ donation, which has lead me to wonder, is it immoral to want to have your organs rot with your body when living (or should that be dying) people could use them?
Yes, yeas it is. I am all for organ donation.. After all YOU aren't in need of them anymore!!!

By the way, look a new movie "Repomen" comes out in the next week or so.... Goes along with this thread (sort of)..:coffee:

Monkeybone
03-10-2010, 08:26 AM
while I support it, I don't think that it is immoral to keep them... selfish yes... but you aren't in the wrong.

Noir
03-10-2010, 08:44 AM
while I support it, I don't think that it is immoral to keep them... selfish yes... but you aren't in the wrong.

So you can be both selfish and 'in the right'? those seem a contradiction in terms to me

Noir
03-10-2010, 08:45 AM
Yes, yeas it is. I am all for organ donation.. After all YOU aren't in need of them anymore!!!

By the way, look a new movie "Repomen" comes out in the next week or so.... Goes along with this thread (sort of)..:coffee:

Indeedy, i'm with you on this one,

and i looked by the movie, i think i'll give it a miss, all the cutting bits out of people would turn my stomach lol, but thanks for the heads up

Monkeybone
03-10-2010, 09:04 AM
So you can be both selfish and 'in the right'? those seem a contradiction in terms to me

how so? How are you in the wrong if you don't want to donate your organs? Just makes you a selfish dick to me.

Noir
03-10-2010, 09:21 AM
how so? How are you in the wrong if you don't want to donate your organs? Just makes you a selfish dick to me.

But thats what i mean, how can you be both selfish and right?
Surly the person would have to be both selfish and wrong?

Monkeybone
03-10-2010, 09:31 AM
But thats what i mean, how can you be both selfish and right?
Surly the person would have to be both selfish and wrong?

I hate to answer it this way, but you just can be. What makes it wrong? Why do you have to be wrong if you are being selfish?

Noir
03-10-2010, 09:38 AM
I hate to answer it this way, but you just can be. What makes it wrong? Why do you have to be wrong if you are being selfish?

But selfishness is a negative trait, surly by choosing to be selfish, and thus choosing to be selfish is wrong.

Monkeybone
03-10-2010, 09:45 AM
But selfishness is a negative trait, surly by choosing to be selfish, and thus choosing to be selfish is wrong.

that really is crappy logic for something like this. Just becaseu you are selfish doesn't mean that you are being wrong and just becasue something is negative doesn't mean that it is wrong.

So are you wrong if you have a chance to save your kid or a stranger and you chose your kid?

Noir
03-10-2010, 09:55 AM
that really is crappy logic for something like this. Just becaseu you are selfish doesn't mean that you are being wrong and just becasue something is negative doesn't mean that it is wrong.

So are you wrong if you have a chance to save your kid or a stranger and you chose your kid?

True, under such conditions i can see your point.
However, there are no such conditions when it comes to passing on your organs after you die. Unless ofcourse you belong to a religion that believes you must be buried with all your organs.

Monkeybone
03-10-2010, 10:04 AM
True, under such conditions i can see your point.
However, there are no such conditions when it comes to passing on your organs after you die. Unless ofcourse you belong to a religion that believes you must be buried with all your organs.
Then how is keeping your organs wrong? Just because you want to keep your googies inside of you, oh well. Are you the last person with a set of organs that is going to die?

True. But in the case of religion, then you aren't being immoral? You could say that you are, by judging them being in the wrong for making a choice which is a no brainer to you from your perspective and vice-versa for them, that you are in the wrong. This was jsut a bunny trail thought, you can leave it alone Noir.

SassyLady
03-10-2010, 03:17 PM
I am a believer in organ donation...but I have no judgements towards people who don't want to donate.

Being selfish is not wrong or immoral Noir. It might go against someone's value system, however.

I plan to be cremated and want anything that can be of use to be removed prior to the cremation. I don't feel comfortable thinking about my body rotting away in some stifling box underground for centuries. I want my ashes spread all over the world. My daughter has agreed to take some every time she travels and leave some behind.

darin
03-10-2010, 03:18 PM
If I could give an organ right now to save another's life I'd do it.

chesswarsnow
03-10-2010, 03:46 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. I bet you could use a new back right about now?
2. And how is the back anyways?

Regards,
SirJamesTexas

darin
03-10-2010, 03:47 PM
thanks for asking. Still in pain - awaiting MRI results.

Trigg
03-11-2010, 03:11 PM

I agree

It's a personal decision, not a moral one.

Mr. P
03-11-2010, 03:57 PM
What came with me will go with me.

Selfish? Pealeezzzz...the word itself in this context only serves to inject individual guilt. Sorry, I'll make my choice and deal with it just fine. YOU STAY OUTTA MY PERSONAL BUSINESS!

AllieBaba
03-11-2010, 04:42 PM

Well then get busy and call the kidney/bone marrow bank people...I'm sure they'd be thrilled to hear that.

The thing is...many people don't have harvestable organs.

And it's nobody's business what people want done with their bodies. Your body, your choice. If we're going to start dictating morality to people then let's kindly start with abortion.

Noir
03-11-2010, 06:17 PM

Selfish? Pealeezzzz...the word itself in this context only serves to inject individual guilt. Sorry, I'll make my choice and deal with it just fine. YOU STAY OUTTA MY PERSONAL BUSINESS!

Who knows, maybe I'll be able to create enough guilt to start my own religion :laugh2:

and okay, I'm assuming that you must have no one close to you who would be dead If someone else had not given their organs as a donnar when they passed away.
If you have no religious reasons (which are ofcourse silly reasons, but reasons nonetheless) against having organs removed then why would you chose to deny the possibility that you could save someones father/brother/son ect?

LiberalNation
03-11-2010, 06:21 PM
I need my organs if I'm gona be frozen and brought back to life at a later date. Tho I suppose they would have fixed that problem by then.

Gaffer
03-11-2010, 06:34 PM

If the organs are taken after your dead, do you really think you will miss them? Gonna pack a bag too? :poke:

glockmail
03-11-2010, 06:53 PM
I need my organs if I'm gona be frozen and brought back to life at a later date. Tho I suppose they would have fixed that problem by then. Way to go maximizing your carbon footprint to keep your shit frozen- liberal. :slap:

Mr. P
03-11-2010, 06:58 PM
If the organs are taken after your dead, do you really think you will miss them? Gonna pack a bag too? :poke:

Already sent ahead via UPS.

glockmail
03-11-2010, 07:11 PM
I'm signed up for them to take whatever they need, then put the rest in a bag, burn it up. I've got a spot on the mountain all picked out to fertilize the creeping fescue.

LiberalNation
03-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Way to go maximizing your carbon footprint to keep your shit frozen- liberal. :slap:

lol it was a joke, I want a huge pointed obelisk headstone instead.

glockmail
03-11-2010, 07:25 PM
lol it was a joke, I want a huge pointed obelisk headstone instead. A large phallic symbol, or big prick, how appropriate. Why don't you just get your dildo bronzed and have your Mom put it on the mantle? :laugh2: