PDA

View Full Version : Eight Great Myths about Welfare

LiberalNation
03-11-2010, 12:18 AM
http://anitra.net/homelessness/columns/anitra/eightmyths.html

The most famous myth about welfare may be the one begun by Ronald Reagan on the 1976 campaign trail: the story of a woman from Chicago's South Side who was arrested for welfare fraud. "She has 80 names, 30 addresses, 12 Social Security cards and is collecting veteran's benefits on four non-existing deceased husbands. And she is collecting Social Security on her cards. She's got Medicaid, getting food stamps, and she is collecting welfare under each of her names." Many investigative reporters tried to track down this "Welfare Queen". She didn't exist. David Zucchino, a Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter, spent a year with two welfare mothers in Philadelphia and wrote a book comparing the image to the reality in The Myth of the Welfare Queen. (reprinted in 1999)
There are many more myths about welfare. These are eight of the most damaging -- not just to welfare recipients, but to society:
MYTH: Poverty and homelessness have grown in spite of the trillions of dollars spent since 1965 to help the poor; therefore, these programs have failed.
FACT: These programs have succeeded and are succeeding in getting people out of poverty and homelessness. As Michael Harrington reported in The Other America (originally printed 1962, most recently printed 1997) not everyone was living like Ward and June Cleaver in the 1950's. Poverty hovered around 20 percent. In 1964, Johnson declared "war on poverty" with his "Great Society" program. The increased welfare payments reduced poverty to 12 percent by the end of the 60s.
As Nancy Amidei said in a speech at the Family Reunion conference in Tennessee, 1992: "Joan Growe, the Secretary of State of Minnesota is a former welfare mom. Judge Sedgewick, an appeals court judge, is a former welfare mom. Two members of the Montana legislature, two members of the Wisconsin legislature, a couple members of the Pennsylvania legislature. (Probably members of the Tennessee legislature are all former welfare moms.) Whoopi Goldberg is a former welfare mom. Carol Burnett is a former welfare kid. Bishop Weakland in Milwaukee is a former welfare kid. Six members of Congress (that I have been able to identify) are former welfare kids. I have run into former welfare kids and former welfare moms who are now PhDs and County Executives, nurses, career Army officials, police, Head Start aides. They are all over the place; they are terrific people and they are welfare success stories."
More people, new people, become poor and homeless daily, therefore the numbers grow. The increase in poverty and homelessness is due to grave problems in our economy, like the income of the lower 20 percent of the economy falling during the "economic boom", 6 out of 10 of the "new jobs" being under $10 an hour -- a wage at which no one can afford a market rate apartment -- racism (the median income of a Hispanic family is $3000 a YEAR), sexism, and a widening income gap. It is not due to welfare programs failing.
Online reference: United for a Fair Economy
Print reference: The Color of Welfare: How Racism Undermined the War on Poverty, Jill Quadagno, 1996
MYTH: Supporting welfare is a burden causing financial hardship to working class Americans.
FACT: Together, AFDC (Aid to Families with Dependent Children) and Food Stamps are by far the largest items of the welfare budget. Yet in 1992, AFDC formed only 1 percent of the combined state and federal budgets. Food stamps also took up 1 percent. (Library of Congress, Congressional Research Service, "Cash and Noncash Benefits for Persons with Limited Income: Eligibility Rules, Recipient and Expenditure Data, FY 1990-92," Report 93-832 EPW and earlier reports.) If you expand the definition of "welfare" to include all one-way transfers of benefits for which no services or repayment are required in exchange (such as student grants, school lunches and pensions for needy veterans) then welfare takes up only 12 percent of the combined budgets. (Sources: Library of Congress, Congressional Research Service, "Cash and Noncash Benefits for Persons with Limited Income: Eligibility Rules, Recipient and Expenditure Data, FY 1990-92," Report 93-832 EPW, and earlier reports; U.S. Bureau of the Census, Government Finances, series GF, No. 5, 1992.)
What is creating a financial hardship on working- and middle-class Americans? The rising percentage of American wealth gravitating to the top 1% of the population.
A counter-argument says that money given to wealthy citizens and corporations gets spent in ways that benefit the rest of the economy, and all people, including charitable donations. Yet money that is given to the very poor also gets spent: locally, in ways that benefit the grocer and the landlord and other small businesses. Money that goes to the wealthy often ends up being saved or invested overseas, circulated back into stocks that continue to drive up inflation, or spent on expensive houses that got built where affordable housing used to be.
In 1990, the poorest income group -- under $10,000 -- actually gave the highest share to charity: 5.5 percent. (Survey by Gallup Organization and Independent Sector, cited by Boston Globe, "U.S. Charities See Increase in Gifts," December 16, 1990)
From Inequality and Health
"Two recent studies, published in April in the BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL, examine all 50 states within the U.S. Each study defines a measure of income inequality and compares it to various rates of disease and other social problems. It is the gap between rich and poor, and not the average income in each state, that best predicts the death rate in each state. States with greater inequality in the distribution of income also had higher rates of unemployment, higher rates of incarceration, a higher percentage of people receiving income assistance and food stamps, and a greater percentage of people without medical insurance. "Interestingly, states with greater inequality of income distribution also spent less per person on education, had fewer books per person in the schools, and had poorer educational performance, including worse reading skills, worse math skills, and lower rates of completion of high school."

Kathianne
03-11-2010, 02:18 AM
LN, I appreciate your sharing information picked up in studies, guessing this class is sociology? If I get some time in the next few days, I'll go through your post with some other stats that were left out.

Trigg
03-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Congratulations you've regurgitated what you've learned at school.

How about you talk to people who deal with people on food stamps and welfare.

MOST of the people (and this is from personal experience) who are on public assistance know how to work the system. MOST aren't looking for short term help in fact for many it has simply become a way of life.

LiberalNation
03-11-2010, 03:34 PM
considering it's a 4 year max on benifits I doubt it has become a way of life.

To you envy the cripple on disability barely making ends meet.

Trigg
03-11-2010, 04:21 PM
considering it's a 4 year max on benifits I doubt it has become a way of life.

To you envy the cripple on disability barely making ends meet.

You know, or should, that I wasn't talking about people with diabilities. Those aren't the ones "working the system".

As far as time limits, there are exceptions. There are also various programs to jump into and out of.

http://www.urban.org/publications/310904.html

Federal reforms in 1996 eliminated the entitlement to welfare and limited benefits to a maximum of five years in a lifetime. States can exempt up to 20 percent of their caseload from the federal time limit. Moreover, they can extend the time limit beyond five years, as long as benefits are paid with state dollars. In 2002 only two states—Michigan and Vermont—did not have any type of time limit on benefits (Bloom, Farrell, and Fink 2002). Seventeen states had time limits of less than five years.

AllieBaba
03-11-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm a caseworker.
There is no "4-year max" on benefits. There is no max on foodstamps or medical at all. Cash technically has a 5 year total benefits limit...however, there are all kinds of loopholes so essentially that 5 year limit means nothing.

We don't reward people for not working and haven't since Reagan was prez. In fact we offer pretty nice incentives to go to work, we provide child care to look for work, and we pay gas stipends to help. In addition, we require that those people who are receiving cash benefits participate in jobs programs, and if they can't find a job within a certain period of time, they get to volunteer somewhere.

LiberalNation
03-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Cash technically has a 5 year total benefits limit...however
that is state dependent, some are less.

Nukeman
03-11-2010, 04:52 PM
4 years of assistance is ENOUGH time to get a Bachelors degree from college. Especially with the childcare and other services provided to these people. There is NO reason not to be in situation for a good job and debt free after 4 years on assistance......

AllieBaba
03-11-2010, 04:56 PM
that is state dependent, some are less.

Maybe. However it's disengenuous of you to state unequivically that there's a 4 year limit if you know that, isn't it?

AllieBaba
03-11-2010, 04:58 PM
4 years of assistance is ENOUGH time to get a Bachelors degree from college. Especially with the childcare and other services provided to these people. There is NO reason not to be in situation for a good job and debt free after 4 years on assistance......

Most people who receive cash assistance don't receive it for prolonged periods of time like that. They'll have it for a while, then work for a while, then something will happen and they might get back on.

And a 2-person hh only gets $448/month. Believe me, if they're on assistance, they're racking up debt.

jimnyc
03-11-2010, 05:15 PM
LN, I've edited your post and probably left more than I should have. In the future, please don't post more than 2-3 paragraphs of the authors work and then leave a link to the rest.

LiberalNation
03-11-2010, 05:39 PM
i really doubt that website cared.

jimnyc
03-11-2010, 05:51 PM
i really doubt that website cared.

And I really doubt if I ever get sued that you will pay my lawyer fees. It's an all or nothing rule, we aren't going to try and determine which sites or writers might not care, we just prefer to follow the law. Please, I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just being consistent in following this rule, which happens to be law.

LiberalNation
03-11-2010, 05:52 PM
you are a dick but anyways, I'll cut the articles from now on, happy now?

jimnyc
03-11-2010, 07:34 PM
you are a dick but anyways, I'll cut the articles from now on, happy now?

Yes, than you for being so understanding and cool about helping me remain within the law. You're a sweetheart! :poke: