PDA

View Full Version : Yo, no more ho, bitches and niggaz

Yurt
04-23-2007, 08:21 PM
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Prominent U.S. hip-hop executive Russell Simmons on Monday recommended eliminating the words "bitch," "ho" and "nigger" from the recording industry, considering them "extreme curse words."

The call comes less than two weeks after radio personality Don Imus' nationally syndicated and televised radio show was canceled amid public outcry over Imus calling a women's basketball team "nappy-headed hos."

Simmons, co-founder of the Def Jam label and a driving force behind hip-hop's huge commercial success, called for voluntary restrictions on the words and setting up an industry watchdog to recommend guidelines for lyrical and visual standards.

"We recommend that the recording and broadcast industries voluntarily remove/bleep/delete the misogynistic words 'bitch' and 'ho' and the racially offensive word 'nigger'," Simmons and Benjamin Chavis, co-chairmen of the advocacy group Hip-Hop Summit Action Network, said in a statement.

"These three words should be considered with the same objections to obscenity as 'extreme curse words'," it said.

Ho is slang for whore and commonly used in hip-hop music while nigger, a derogatory term for blacks, is among the most highly charged insults in American culture. The slur "nappy," used by Imus, describes the tightly curled hair of many African Americans.

CHANGING STANCE

Monday's statement changed course from another one by Simmons and Chavis dated April 13, a day after Imus' show was canceled, in which they said offensive references in hip-hop "may be uncomfortable for some to hear, but our job is not to silence or censor that expression."

The Imus controversy stoked a debate in the United States about how to deal with inflammatory words that are widely considered highly offensive but at the same time commonly and casually used in youth culture.

U.S. black leaders such as Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson have led the charge to suppress offensive words while many artists have argued for freedom of expression. New York City declared a symbolic moratorium on the so-called N-word in February.

"Our internal discussions with industry leaders are not about censorship. Our discussions are about the corporate social responsibility of the industry to voluntarily show respect to African Americans and other people of color, African American women and to all women in lyrics and images," the statement from Simmons and Chavis said on Monday.

The network recommended the formation of a Coalition on Broadcast Standards that would consist of leading executives from music, radio and television.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070423/music_nm/usa_hiphop_dc

CockySOB
04-23-2007, 08:26 PM
I seriously hope this idea catches on. And the consumers have to get behind the idea too, or there'll always be a market looking for suppliers.

5stringJeff
04-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Good for him. I hope this catches on.

Abbey Marie
04-23-2007, 10:39 PM
Will he also call for an end to the protrayal of women in videos as hos and bitches? They are far worse than the words, IMO.

gabosaurus
04-24-2007, 12:19 AM
This could work if the labels band together and refuse issue product with defamatory language. Unfortunately, the music industry will likely ditch common sense in favor of the almighty dollar. All it would take would be one high profile artist to defy the ban.
The hip hop/rap audience has become almost desensitized to such language. The artists themselves make their living by pushing limits as far as they can. If there is a market, then the market will be filled.

Psychoblues
04-24-2007, 12:38 AM
As long as confederate flags fly, women make less money than men for same work, other more poor women stand on corners selling their only means for immediate living, and the conservatives continue calling niggers "niggaz" to hide their prejudices and open up to genuine dialogue and understanding of the sexist and racial walls they build for themselves I don't have much hope for the progressive bent of Americans to advance freedom and democracy as American values.

Leadership or losership is your choice. Both are American values.

Samantha
04-24-2007, 12:40 AM
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Prominent U.S. hip-hop executive Russell Simmons on Monday recommended eliminating the words "bitch," "ho" and "nigger" from the recording industry, considering them "extreme curse words."

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Baron Von Esslingen
04-24-2007, 12:40 AM
Good luck on that. Good luck on getting Snoop to cut back on his crap. Good luck on making Gangsta Rap unpopular. Good luck on not glorifying all sorts of illegal activities. Good luck on not setting the examples that money and dope will get you women and guns will get you power to dispense dope and women. Good luck on all of that.

stephanie
04-24-2007, 12:44 AM
Good luck on that. Good luck on getting Snoop to cut back on his crap. Good luck on making Gangsta Rap unpopular. Good luck on not glorifying all sorts of illegal activities. Good luck on not setting the examples that money and dope will get you women and guns will get you power to dispense dope and women. Good luck on all of that.

I agree with you..
It would be nice to see...But I don't hold out much hope..

manu1959
04-24-2007, 12:48 AM

you know....you seem almost happy

Psychoblues
04-24-2007, 01:31 AM
BVE is crying to you to think and challenging you by wishing you "good luck".

you know....you seem almost happy

That's the way I see it. Are you happy?

theHawk
04-24-2007, 09:31 AM
.... and open up to genuine dialogue and understanding of the sexist and racial walls they build for themselves I don't have much hope for the progressive bent of Americans to advance freedom and democracy as American values.

Oh so thats our problem....we need to open up to dialogue to undestand how discriminatory we are.

Take a peek in the mirror my friend. :poke:

darin
04-24-2007, 09:42 AM
Will he also call for an end to the protrayal of women in videos as hos and bitches? They are far worse than the words, IMO.

Dude - VideHOs (Viddy-hos) are SMOKING hot sometimes... (sigh).

:D

shattered
04-24-2007, 09:46 AM

Err.. Am I the only one that thinks if the women CHOOSE to be in those types of videos, they don't really mind how they're being portrayed, OR perceived?

darin
04-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Err.. Am I the only one that thinks if the women CHOOSE to be in those types of videos, they don't really mind how they're being portrayed, OR perceived?

It's all about $$

shattered
04-24-2007, 10:04 AM
It's all about $$

Agreed... So they can't really be "demoralized" like a lot of people think... It's all choices..

darin
04-24-2007, 10:08 AM
Agreed... So they can't really be "demoralized" like a lot of people think... It's all choices..

Once I heard Wesley Snipes being interviewed. He said "Sometimes "Black folk" get on him: "Why you always playing a VILLAIN? Isn't that perpetuating the myth that black people destroy? that black people are violent?" I answer them with "I Play those roles because i'm getting PAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY'D!"

:)

Trigg
04-24-2007, 12:06 PM
As long as confederate flags fly, women make less money than men for same work, other more poor women stand on corners selling their only means for immediate living, and the conservatives continue calling niggers "niggaz" to hide their prejudices and open up to genuine dialogue and understanding of the sexist and racial walls they build for themselves I don't have much hope for the progressive bent of Americans to advance freedom and democracy as American values.

Leadership or losership is your choice. Both are American values.

oh :puke3: , here is something good coming out of the Imus controversy and all you can do is, once again, call all conservatives racist.

Do yourself a favor, build a bridge and get over it.

The pay gap, racism and prostitution are EVERYONES problems and have nothing to do with which group you belong to politically or racially.

Trigg
04-24-2007, 12:11 PM

Yep, to much work, so lets not even try to make things better.

Lets all sit around waiting for the world to change, waiting for someone to fix things for us so we don't have to do anything.

Or whats this, we could stop supporting the people putting this kind of crap in our stores.

Simmons is a powerful man, he wants to try to make a difference GOOD FOR HIM.

Abbey Marie
04-24-2007, 11:31 PM

I'm not too concerned about the women in the videos, though I do feel sorry for them in their base stupidity. I'm concered for the young women who watch the crap and don't know any better; forget what it is like to have dignity; and eventually form the idea that it's ok to be treated like hos by men, and even by other women.