PDA

View Full Version : DOJ: Holder "Forgot"

Kathianne
03-12-2010, 05:11 AM
Sure he did.

http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/03/11/holder-failed-to-alert-senate-to-old-brief/

Holder Failed To Alert Senate To Old Brief
Posted By Mike Levine On March 11, 2010 @ 7:13 AM

During his confirmation more than a year ago, Attorney General Eric Holder failed to notify lawmakers he had contributed to a legal brief dealing with the use of federal courts in fighting terrorism, the Justice Department acknowledged on Wednesday.

“The brief should have been disclosed as part of the confirmation process,” Justice Department spokesman Matt Miller said in a statement. “In preparing thousands of pages for submission, it was unfortunately and inadvertently missed.”

Still, the “amicus brief,” filed with the Supreme Court in 2004, resonates years later as Holder finds himself defending the handling of some recent terrorism cases, particularly the interrogation of alleged “Christmas Day bomber” Umar F. Abdulmutallab.

The brief – filed by Holder, then a private attorney, former Attorney General Janet Reno and two other Clinton-era officials – argued that the President lacks authority to hold Jose Padilla, a U.S citizen declared an “enemy combatant,” indefinitely without charge.

In making their case, Holder and the others argued that using federal courts to fight terrorism, which includes providing Miranda rights to terror suspects, would not “impair” the government’s ability to obtain intelligence, which they called “the primary tool for preventing terrorist attacks.”

“Many terrorists who have been arrested and provided counsel have decided to cooperate and provide valuable information to the government,” their brief said. “Over the last decade, the investigative, detention, and prosecutive authorities [of the federal court system] have been used in many cases not only to identify, arrest, and punish persons who have committed terrorist acts, but to disrupt and thwart terrorism before it can occur.”

But the brief did acknowledge a possible risk in such use of the federal court system – a risk, the brief said, that is outweighed by the advantages....

SassyLady
03-12-2010, 05:22 AM
Sure he did.

http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/03/11/holder-failed-to-alert-senate-to-old-brief/

I am so, so sick of lawyers.........and I find it highly amusing that the lawyers in Congress are trying to stick it to the doctors and the medical field.

I've worked for both and while both have enormous egos, I prefer the doctors.

My sister-in-law is a personal injury lawyer and even she says she hates lawyers! :laugh2:

Kathianne
03-12-2010, 05:38 AM
I am so, so sick of lawyers.........and I find it highly amusing that the lawyers in Congress are trying to stick it to the doctors and the medical field.

I've worked for both and while both have enormous egos, I prefer the doctors.

My sister-in-law is a personal injury lawyer and even she says she hates lawyers! :laugh2:

The inherent dishonesty of the administration is truly awesome to behold. This we will be paying for throughout our lifetimes.