PDA

View Full Version : Salt ban In NYC?

red states rule
03-12-2010, 09:25 AM
Why do nanny state liberals constantly seek for new ways to meddle in the lives of people?

The Dem says people need to have a choice, but where is the choice if salt is banned?

Chefs Call Proposed New York Salt Ban 'Absurd'

FOXNews.com

MYFOXNY.COM - Some New York City chefs and restaurant owners are taking aim at a bill introduced in the New York Legislature that, if passed, would ban the use of salt in restaurant cooking.

"No owner or operator of a restaurant in this state shall use salt in any form in the preparation of any food for consumption by customers of such restaurant, including food prepared to be consumed on the premises of such restaurant or off of such premises," the bill, A. 10129 , states in part.

The legislation, which Assemblyman Felix Ortiz , D-Brooklyn, introduced on March 5, would fine restaurants $1,000 for each violation.

"The consumer needs to make their own health choices. Just as doctors and the occasional visit to a hospital can't truly control how a person chooses to maintain their health, neither can chefs nor the occasional visit to a restaurant," said Jeff Nathan, the executive chef and co-owner of Abigael's on Broadway. "Modifying trans fats and sodium intake needs to be home based for optimal health. Regulating restaurants will not solve this health issue."

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/new_york_state/chefs-call-proposed-new-york-salt-ban-absurd-20100310-akd

Monkeybone
03-12-2010, 09:34 AM
yah.. heaven forbid the person just ask for no salt. but no... have to make a general sweeping descision for everyone.

so glad that they know better than us what we should do for us.

red states rule
03-12-2010, 09:38 AM
yah.. heaven forbid the person just ask for no salt. but no... have to make a general sweeping descision for everyone.

so glad that they know better than us what we should do for us.

It is always the liberal do gooders who want to strip away our freedoms and choices

This is a preview of life under Obamacare. The government decides what is healthy for you - comply or else

Monkeybone
03-12-2010, 09:43 AM
It is always the liberal do gooders who want to strip away our freedoms and choices

This is a preview of life under Obamacare. The government decides what is healthy for you - comply or else
i don't think we will have a choice to compy or else after a bit. It just won't be avaible, truely outlawed, even in your own home.

Unless someone gets elected into office that basically tears down our Gov and returns it to what it is supposed to be, with my pessimisstic hat on, this country is oging to shit in 5-8 years.

red states rule
03-12-2010, 10:14 AM
i don't think we will have a choice to compy or else after a bit. It just won't be avaible, truely outlawed, even in your own home.

Unless someone gets elected into office that basically tears down our Gov and returns it to what it is supposed to be, with my pessimisstic hat on, this country is oging to shit in 5-8 years.

What happens if someone brings his/her own salt shaker to a restaurant? Arrested for posession of a banned substance/or possession of a deadly weapon?

Welcome to Obamacare

glockmail
03-12-2010, 10:25 AM
For most people, salt is an essential nutrient. Next they'll ban CO2?

red states rule
03-12-2010, 10:26 AM
For most people, salt is an essential nutrient. Next they'll ban CO2?

Not ban it, but tax and regulate it

Monkeybone
03-12-2010, 10:46 AM
Next they'll ban CO2? it is polluting all this oxygen that we breathe

red states rule
03-12-2010, 10:53 AM
They want to tax (and one day ban perhaps) soda too.

Whatever the hell happened to the reason for being elected into government offcie was to protect the rights and freedoms of the people they represent?

Monkeybone
03-12-2010, 11:12 AM

Whatever the hell happened to the reason for being elected into government offcie was to protect the rights and freedoms of the people they represent?

they are protecting your right and freedom to a healthy life Red. You just don't know how bad that salt and soda-pop is for you so they have to control it. Heaven forbid personal responsibility and self control.

Abbey Marie
03-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Politics aside, if you watch any cooking shows on TV, almost every chef puts salt in almost every recipe. Based on that, I'd say it is the key addition to most dishes.

CSM
03-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Hmmm...remember the discussions about banning smoking....

Just wondering where it all ends. Our local and federal governments are on the verge of regulating every aspect of your life...from what you can eat to telling you when and how to sleep.

glockmail
03-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Politics aside, if you watch any cooking shows on TV, almost every chef puts salt in almost every recipe. Based on that, I'd say it is the key addition to most dishes. It certainly is. Most folks don't and won't ever have a problem with it. Its an essential part of your diet and if you have too much you body just pees it out. So we have salty pee. Big damn deal.

Binky
03-12-2010, 09:16 PM

They decided they liked their pockets filled to the brim with kickbacks.....:eek:

Binky
03-12-2010, 09:19 PM
they are protecting your right and freedom to a healthy life Red. You just don't know how bad that salt and soda-pop is for you so they have to control it. Heaven forbid personal responsibility and self control.

Well, regardless of what the powers that be believe, I, being one of the citizens, have managed to only drink diet coke, water, tea and milk....Oddly enough, I came to that decision all by myself without their help.....:coffee:

Binky
03-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Not ban it, but tax and regulate it

Like most things the government does it all comes down to money. We have it, and it wants to take more of it..... Go figure.....:eek:

red states rule
03-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Well, regardless of what the powers that be believe, I, being one of the citizens, have managed to only drink diet coke, water, tea and milk....Oddly enough, I came to that decision all by myself without their help.....:coffee:

Like Obama, Reid, and Pelosi, - this NY Dem is so out of touch with the people and reality.

red states rule
03-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Like most things the government does it all comes down to money. We have it, and it wants to take more of it..... Go figure.....:eek:

The Lord giveth, and the government taketh away

DragonStryk72
03-13-2010, 01:59 AM
Basically, some poilitician somewhere in NY is trying to appeal to a base that is small, but may help out in an upcoming election. This measure would never pass, as it would bankrupt the entire restaurant industry pretty quickly.

red states rule
03-13-2010, 06:01 AM
Basically, some poilitician somewhere in NY is trying to appeal to a base that is small, but may help out in an upcoming election. This measure would never pass, as it would bankrupt the entire restaurant industry pretty quickly.

The point is, a Dem is so drunk with power he puts forth a bill like this - that is cause to worry

Because some people say don;t worry is also a problem. People were warned about how far Obama, Reid, and Pelosi would go if they had unchecked power - and how far left they really are - and people said don't worry

Today's liberals want more and more control over more and mroe aspects of our lives. Nothing is off limits in their minds

And at the same time, they want more and more of our money to fund programs that are "good for us"

They have to be stopped and stopped in their tracks

crin63
03-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Hmmm...remember the discussions about banning smoking....

Just wondering where it all ends. Our local and federal governments are on the verge of regulating every aspect of your life...from what you can eat to telling you when and how to sleep.

I saw the writing on the wall when they started the smoking bans here in California. It had nothing to do with smoking and everything to do with seeing if people would give up their rights. Its where nearly all the Liberal imposition of laws and political correctness stem from.

When I walk into one of my favorite pawn shops in the Los Angeles area the owner and/or his son will be sitting there smoking a great big fat cigar. The place reeks of stale cigars and its one the most beautiful things I have ever experienced. When I walk in, I smell Freedom and it makes me all warm & fuzzy inside. They are looking at massive fines if its ever pursued by the city, county or state but they don't care. Its their business and if you don't like it don't go there. I see them as true Americans.

DragonStryk72
03-13-2010, 01:34 PM
The point is, a Dem is so drunk with power he puts forth a bill like this - that is cause to worry

Because some people say don;t worry is also a problem. People were warned about how far Obama, Reid, and Pelosi would go if they had unchecked power - and how far left they really are - and people said don't worry

Today's liberals want more and more control over more and mroe aspects of our lives. Nothing is off limits in their minds

And at the same time, they want more and more of our money to fund programs that are "good for us"

They have to be stopped and stopped in their tracks

Nope, that's giving them entirely too much credit. I'm from NY originally, this was to try a snag a quick vote boost. At least if they were actually trying to obtain power I could see some degree of reason to do it. there's no chance this would pass at all, so the aim is something different.

Cap'n Chew
03-14-2010, 12:17 AM
Who the hell is -for- this total salt ban?

Progressive, ex-Air America host (He moved on to greener pastures lol) Cenk Uyugr says hell no, too much government.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YUOaQsyiiJY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YUOaQsyiiJY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Dare I ask, anyone here?

Kathianne
03-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Nope, that's giving them entirely too much credit. I'm from NY originally, this was to try a snag a quick vote boost. At least if they were actually trying to obtain power I could see some degree of reason to do it. there's no chance this would pass at all, so the aim is something different.
Bloomberg and others want to be everyone's daddy. In Chicago they'd find a way to tax it.

Cap'n Chew
03-14-2010, 12:24 AM

A pretty lousy attempt, I'm sure the loss of votes would seriously outweigh any gains this guy could possibly get from this stupid legislation.

revelarts
03-14-2010, 08:26 PM
I wonder when the people of new york will buck against all that stuff?

I wonder if there are going to be new jobs, Salt Police?

I wonder how many on the left who voted for salt regulation are for re-legalization of marijuana?

MtnBiker
03-14-2010, 08:33 PM
Maybe they should pass legislation to ban oxygen in government buildings.

red states rule
03-15-2010, 06:37 AM
So now the do gooder liberal want to "protect" me from salt in my food, and sugar in my soda.

Should I refuse to accept their "protection" they probably will tax me for my disobedience. After all, it is all for my own good

Even if I accepted their "protection" they will tax me anyway since they will say they need the revenue to pay for the "protection"