PDA

View Full Version : Kids don't hear fire alarms

namvet
03-12-2010, 04:17 PM
seems they sleep right thru the alarm. an eye opener

7XKedodF2pk

hjmick
03-12-2010, 04:31 PM
I slept through one when I was a teenager, this doesn't surprise me.

namvet
03-12-2010, 04:42 PM
I slept through one when I was a teenager, this doesn't surprise me.

as a teen i never had one

LiberalNation
03-12-2010, 04:43 PM
as load as those fuckers are, hard to believe.

hjmick
03-12-2010, 05:09 PM
as a teen i never had one

Ya old fart! :coffee:

namvet
03-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Ya old fart! :coffee:

im used but not used up

im worn but not worn out :laugh2:

LiberalNation
03-12-2010, 05:17 PM
should be loud not load, stupid edit time limits.

DragonStryk72
03-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Well, of course they do, it's a natural result of the number of times they've been put through fire drills growing up. The alarm ceases to be alarming, because it because a regular noise.

hjmick
03-12-2010, 05:41 PM
im used but not used up

im worn but not worn out :laugh2:

I hear ya.

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

Trigg
03-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Well, of course they do, it's a natural result of the number of times they've been put through fire drills growing up. The alarm ceases to be alarming, because it because a regular noise.

This is disturbing for me.

We have maybe one fire drill a year at our house and never at night, so the alarm going off should worry them.This makes me want to test my kids.

I'll post how my test turns out.

Mr. P
03-12-2010, 06:06 PM
I saw a show maybe 15-20 yrs ago that revealed this.

I can't remember what they said the cause was exactly but it wasn't from exposure to the alarm...I think it had something to do with the deep sleep kids have.

I tested my daughter after I saw it, Trigg. She heard it. Scared the hell outta her too. I'd do it again for the peace of mind.

Joyful HoneyBee
03-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Part of it may be the way a child's brain processes the frequency of the tone, too. I was surprised to learn about the mosquito buzz and have had fun with it whenever I've had a house full of teenagers. They would always hear that, even though I couldn't hear a thing, but if I pushed the fire alarm button my kids wouldn't budge from a sound sleep, either.

For people who have dogs, they can be trained to react to a fire alarm by barking. My little chihuahua goes berserk when a fire alarm sounds, and his barking would wake the kids even when the alarm wouldn't. I think the idea of the familiar voice is a good one, but I'll bet that technology is costly.

krisy
03-12-2010, 07:06 PM
This has always been a fear of mine because my daughter has around 60% hearing loss. When she is awake theses kinds of loud beeps terrify her.....she gets a lot of anxiety about fire drills at school because the noise hurts her ears is what she tells me.

My 15 year old boy sleeps with his door shut. Our alarm is smack outside of both their rooms.

I think its time for a test.

I also think it does have something to so with different levels of hearing between kids and adults. I recently found out that there is a ringtone for cells that adults can't hear. My friend says it works and my son says a teach at school demonstrated for them. SHe couldn't hear it but all the fifteen year old kids in the class could.

LiberalNation
03-12-2010, 07:40 PM
yeah adults lose some higher pitch preception as they age. Men more so than women.

krisy
03-12-2010, 07:44 PM
My husband and son just found the ringtone. My hus and I don't hear a thing but my son does. Apparently one of our dogs heard something to because he got up,went to the door and stood there with his head tilted like he was trying to figure out if that was the door he was hearing.

Noir
03-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Yeah me and my dad slept through one once, when my dad woke the alarm was going off and he checked the house and knocked it off, he assumed he woke up when it started, it wasn't until a neighbour called round and said they heard the alarm when they were going to work a few hours earlyer that we realised lol.

As for the high pitched ringtones, they tried to use them to stop crowds of youths gathering near old peoples homes hear in the UK, by sticking speakers to lamp posts that only young people could hear, as the noise was too annoying they'd leave. It only back fired though, when the teenagers found out people past there mid 20s couldn't heard it, they recoded the noise onto their phones, and used it as a text message ringtone, so they would know when they get a text in class without the teacher knowing. Epic win :3

krisy
03-12-2010, 08:06 PM
Yeah me and my dad slept through one once, when my dad woke the alarm was going off and he checked the house and knocked it off, he assumed he woke up when it started, it wasn't until a neighbour called round and said they heard the alarm when they were going to work a few hours earlyer that we realised lol.

As for the high pitched ringtones, they tried to use them to stop crowds of youths gathering near old peoples homes hear in the UK, by sticking speakers to lamp posts that only young people could hear, as the noise was too annoying they'd leave. It only back fired though, when the teenagers found out people past there mid 20s couldn't heard it, they recoded the noise onto their phones, and used it as a text message ringtone, so they would know when they get a text in class without the teacher knowing. Epic win :3

Thats interesting. We did a couple experiments with it. I could barely hear it if my son turned his phone up to high and held it right to my ear. If it was a couple of feet away,I couldn't hear it.