PDA

View Full Version : Economy Up? Those Lying Stats

Kathianne
03-14-2010, 01:38 AM
From everything I can tell in Illinois, things are not improving economically, they continue to deteriorate at an accelerating rate. It seems it's not just here:

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/jobs-false-improvement-proposed-destruction/?singlepage=true

Jobs: False ‘Improvement,’ Proposed Destruction
Posted By Tom Blumer On March 13, 2010 @ 12:20 am

Remember when our president was telling us that his number one focus would be Joe Biden’s favorite three-letter word (“J-O-B-S, jobs [1]!”)? It’s hard to believe, but it was only six weeks ago [2] (“Obama to recast agenda to focus on jobs, deficit”) at the State of the Union address.

True to his word (not), it’s been virtually all health care, all the time since, including a new wrinkle that would seriously cripple the employment market.

The president’s reaction to more bad employment news [3] on March 5 was to resort to happy talk [4], while Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid instead chose crazy talk [5]:

Today was a big day in America. Only 36,000 people lost their jobs today, which is really good...

Harry Reid could have tried to tell us how great February’s NSA 473,000-job pickup was. In context, it wasn’t that great at all. In fact, as you can see above, it came in lower than February 2008, when the people at the National Bureau of Economic Research say we were in the third month of an economic recession as they define it [7] (as normal people define it [8], the recession didn’t begin until the third quarter of 2008). Moreover, it was 241,000 jobs lower than the February 2004-2008 average. If the employment situation were really in recovery in February, that difference would have been almost zero. Beyond that, February’s actual result using this metric was far worse than January’s, when the result only trailed the January 2004-2008 average by 72,000.

This isn’t an improvement; it’s a serious deterioration.

The only reason February’s SA number of -36,000 came in as low as it did (but still worse than January’s) is that the SA calculation took February 2009’s free-fall result into account, making it a statistically correct result that confuses more than it enlightens. Further evidence supporting that point is that the SA result for February 2010 is better than February 2008, which as already shown based on what really happened, doesn’t reflect the underlying reality...

Mr. P
03-14-2010, 01:59 AM
From everything I can tell in Illinois, things are not improving economically, they continue to deteriorate at an accelerating rate. It seems it's not just here:

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/jobs-false-improvement-proposed-destruction/?singlepage=true

It's getting worse here too.

Kathianne
03-14-2010, 02:20 AM
It's getting worse here too.

My brother and sil stopped by this morning. After catching up with the kids they asked about school. Nothing positive to say about it. My sil said the same is happening at the hospital she works at, every day might be the last.

My brother is probably the most stressed of the three of us. All city and county budgets have to be balanced by 5/1. Problem is Springfield is failing to act on any funding, they don't have the money. Money that is a normal part of budgets for the cities and counties-based on tax revenues sent to the state.

Anyways, he said they are just going to base their budget on what the state has promised, omitting any grants, etc., promised, but unlikely to materialize. Even with that, they know they will be laying off some police staff and the city will be massively laying off people.

The state is supposed to turn in a balanced budget by 7/1, with at least a $13B deficit, that should be interesting.

Granted, Illinois is probably in worse shape than CA, but this problem is sure to lead to a massive tax raise, driving out businesses and individuals. I've already started sending my resume/portfolio to North Dakota, South Dakota, and TX.

krisy
03-14-2010, 09:19 AM
Ohio is in bad shape too. When You open the Cincinnati Enquirer to the jobs section,it is absolutely pathetic. It used to be several pages long,now its nothing but those silly scam jobs and some professional jobs. Very small compared to what it used to be.

Apparently our local Wal Mart is hiring again tho. A neighbors daughter walked right in and got a job in the pharmacy as an assistant for 10 an our. She is just a college student. They also hired the daughter of a friend at work for cashier for 8.75 an hour. Not bad for college students or if your desperate for a job. There was a hiring freeze for months.