PDA

View Full Version : Greek Bubble?

Kathianne
03-14-2010, 01:52 AM
If things do start to improve economically, will this bubble burst then?

http://baselinescenario.com/2010/03/11/the-coming-greek-debt-bubble/

The Coming Greek Debt Bubble
with 65 comments

By Peter Boone and Simon Johnson

Bubbles are back as a topic of serious discussion, as they were before the financial crisis. The questions are: (1) can you spot bubbles, (2) can policymakers do anything to deflate them gently, and (3) can anyone make money when bubbles get out of control?

Our answers are: Spotting pure equity bubbles may sometimes be hard, but we can always see unsustainable finances supported by cheap credit. But policymakers will not act because all great (and dangerous) bubbles build their own political support; bubbles are invincible, until they collapse. A few investors can do well by betting against such bubbles, but it’s harder than you might think because you have to get the timing right – and that’s much more about luck than skill.

Bubbles are usually associated with runaway real estate prices (think Japan in the 1980s and the US more recently) or emerging market booms (parts of Asia in the 1990s and, some begin to argue, China today) or just the stock market gone mad (remember pets.com?) But they are a much more general phenomenon – any time the actual market value for any asset diverges from a reasonable estimate of its “fundamental” value.

To think about this more specifically, consider the case of Greece today. It might seem odd to suggest there is a bubble in a country so evidently under financial pressure – and working hard to stave off collapse with the help of its neighbors – but the important thing about bubbles is: Don’t listen to the “market color” (otherwise known as ex post rationalization), just look at the numbers.

By the end of 2011 Greece’s debt will around 150% of GDP (the numbers here are based on the 2009 IMF Article IV assessment; we make some adjustments for the worsening economy and the restating of numbers since that time – for example, the fiscal deficit in 2009 will likely turn out to be about 8 percent, which is double what the IMF expected until recently). About 80 percent of this debt is foreign owned, and a large part of this is thought held by residents of France and Germany. Every 1 percentage point rise in interest rates means Greece needs to send an additional 1.2 percent of GDP abroad to those bondholders...

Given there’s a definite bubble in Greek debt, should we expect European politicians to help deflate this gradually? Definitely not – in fact, it is their misleading statements, supported in recent days (astonishingly) by the head of the International Monetary Fund, that keep the debt bubble going and set us all up for a greater crash later.

The French and Germans are apparently actually encouraging banks, pension funds, and individuals to buy these bonds – despite the fact senior politicians must surely know this is a Ponzi scheme, i.e., people can get out of Greek bonds only to the extent that new investors come in. At best, this does nothing more than postpone the crisis – in the business, it is known as “kicking the can down the road.” At worst, it encourages less informed people (including perhaps pension funds) to buy bonds as smarter people (and big banks, surely) take the opportunity to exit.

While the French and German leadership makes a great spectacle of wanting to end speculation, in fact they are instead encouraging it. The hypocrisy is horrifying – Mr. Sarkozy and Ms. Merkel are helping realistic speculators make money on the backs of those who take seriously misleading statements by European politicians. This is irresponsible.

What should be done?

Dump Obama, go isolationist.

Mr. P
03-14-2010, 02:04 AM

http://baselinescenario.com/2010/03/11/the-coming-greek-debt-bubble/

Our survival depends on that. IMO

Noir
03-14-2010, 02:36 AM
Greece may well be the undoing of the Euro-zone, the UK included, if Greece goes down the UK is almost certain to fall with it, then gawd knows what.

Kathianne
03-14-2010, 02:40 AM
Greece may well be the undoing of the Euro-zone, the UK included, if Greece goes down the UK is almost certain to fall with it, then gawd knows what.

I believe that is the warning of the article, why I posted it, and Mr. P's response. It could be the end result of the fuse that has been burning towards a global depression. It's a long fuse, but doesn't seem to be one that is being put out.

Noir
03-14-2010, 02:47 AM
I believe that is the warning of the article, why I posted it, and Mr. P's response. It could be the end result of the fuse that has been burning towards a global depression. It's a long fuse, but doesn't seem to be one that is being put out.

True, however your solution, 'go isolationist' is one surefire way to rip the world economy to pieces, and you you really think america could manage it?

Kathianne
03-14-2010, 03:03 AM
True, however your solution, 'go isolationist' is one surefire way to rip the world economy to pieces, and you you really think america could manage it?

Yes, I do think we can and probably will, once rid of this administration. What comes next after the past second Bush term and pretty certain one term of Obama I'm unsure. I do know the rest of the world isn't understanding what is happening here politically, there is global cluelessness on that.

I often wonder if the rest of the world realizes how close the US came to fascism and communism throughout the 20's and 30's?

I will venture that without some crisis of extreme proportions-a 9/11 will not do, the US of the 20's will look more globally interventionist than we'll see soon. Trade? Yes, intervention? No. Look at our reactions even now with Israel, lack of response in Darfur, the rising anti-semitism in Europe...

You should note this isn't just on the right, Obama likes to travel, have you noticed he's not doing anything internationally? Other than words? It's already begun.

Noir
03-14-2010, 03:19 AM
Yes, I do think we can and probably will, once rid of this administration. What comes next after the past second Bush term and pretty certain one term of Obama I'm unsure. I do know the rest of the world isn't understanding what is happening here politically, there is global cluelessness on that.

I often wonder if the rest of the world realizes how close the US came to fascism and communism throughout the 20's and 30's?

I will venture that without some crisis of extreme proportions-a 9/11 will not do, the US of the 20's will look more globally interventionist than we'll see soon. Trade? Yes, intervention? No. Look at our reactions even now with Israel, lack of response in Darfur, the rising anti-semitism in Europe...

You should note this isn't just on the right, Obama likes to travel, have you noticed he's not doing anything internationally? Other than words? It's already begun.

I'm not talking about travelling around visiting countries, we are talking about economic protectionism and isolationism, yes?
I dare say that will end in allot of tears, the world is so interconnected these days, i don't know how you would expect the US to be able to function without the aid of Europe, China & India.

Kathianne
03-14-2010, 03:26 AM
I'm not talking about travelling around visiting countries, we are talking about economic protectionism and isolationism, yes?
I dare say that will end in allot of tears, the world is so interconnected these days, i don't know how you would expect the US to be able to function without the aid of Europe, China & India.

Not economic necessarily, though Obama likes that one. Seems he doesn't understand that protectionism is a two way street.

No, I'm talking isolationism regarding what others do and expect us to do. While our government seems hell bent on ignoring it, the people understand that we are not as strong as we thought and others perceive. If we do not wish to be today's Europe tomorrow, we need to focus on US. I think Israel will be left to their own devices, as will Europe and Asia-greater Asia, beyond Middle East.

I think you will find shortly, that US is going to let Iran alone and ignore any fallout that comes with that. With the next administration, whatever the form there will be a demand for less government and more defensive missiles. I don't think that is going away. Check out the march of gun owners on the Illinois capital today, Springfield. Literally thousands, in a very 'blue' state.

What the rest of the world found reassuring about getting rid of the past administration, as did the US in general for about 3 months, is now turning this country into something I never thought I'd see and contrary to a few on this very right board, it hasn't a thing to do with racism.

Kathianne
03-14-2010, 04:48 AM
A few hours after posting the above, saw this:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE62B1CG20100312?type=marketsNews

U.S. setting bad example on protectionism - Sarkozy
Fri, Mar 12 2010

LONDON, March 12 (Reuters) - President Nicolas Sarkozy of France accused Washington on Friday of setting the wrong example on protectionism, suggesting there had not been a level playing field in the race for a $50 billion refuelling plane contract.

U.S. defence contractor Northrop Grumman and its European partner EADS withdrew on Monday from a renewed competition to supply tankers to the U.S. Air Force, saying the rules favoured rival bidder Boeing, the top U.S. exporter.

Boeing is now the sole known bidder for the contract.

Asked what he thought of the issue during a joint press conference with British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, Sarkozy delivered a scathing attack on how the United States had handled the tender.

"I did not appreciate this decision ... This is not the right way to behave," Sarkozy said.

"Such methods by the United States are not good for its European allies, and such methods are not good for the United States, a great, leading nation with which we are on close and friendly terms," he said.

"If they want to be heard in the fight against protectionism, they should not set the example of protectionism."...

03-14-2010, 07:06 AM

If the UK goes, so does the US

03-14-2010, 07:08 AM

I dont think we need to go isolationist as much as we need to learn how to be self sufficient. I would say the difference is as an isolationist we would avoid foreign contact and trade. I dont think there is a problem with foreign trade, as long as we can and are producing what we need for ourselves should international trade become problematic.

Kathianne
03-14-2010, 09:22 AM
I dont think we need to go isolationist as much as we need to learn how to be self sufficient. I would say the difference is as an isolationist we would avoid foreign contact and trade. I dont think there is a problem with foreign trade, as long as we can and are producing what we need for ourselves should international trade become problematic.

You didn't read my posts. :coffee:

03-14-2010, 07:05 PM
To be fair. It was fairly early in the morning, I'm sick, and I only got 2 hours rest.

HogTrash
03-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Our greedy government representatives continue to ignore the RED FLAGS that are jumping up everywhere.

Most are only concerned with manipulating the system and making policies that benefit their corporate masters.

The rest of us are???......Well the rest of us are just fucked. :dunno:

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.