PDA

View Full Version : Sizing up Sperm - Nat'l Geographic Channel

darin
03-14-2010, 11:08 PM
....just very interesting.

I hate the fact I'd not be watching this if my daughter was in the room. I hate the fact I'm so afraid of this type of thing with my children - when the reality of reproduction is the opposite of dirty or sinful or whatever. It's a wonderful testament to God's AMAZING design of the human body.

I understand kids should be kids and what-not...but I wonder if that's more for OUR Sake (the whole, not telling them thing) or for theirs?

Did I mention I had the sex talk with my daughter a few days ago??? Thought I mentioned that. I'll look-see. If not I'll post up about how that all went. We didn't cover everything; but we just talked about parts and whatnot.

but I digress...

This show is pretty good. :)

Shadow
03-15-2010, 10:59 AM
I read an article about this documentary online. Next airing scheduled for March 21st.

The description made me chuckle..

"The program follows the sperm's role in the miracle of life before it joins with an egg. The sperm is scaled to human size to better illustrate the challenges that await it. So on 'Sizing Up Sperm,' a London skyscraper represents male anatomy, the Rocky Mountains stand in for female anatomy, etc. It's kind of like a sex-ed version of 'Fantastic Voyage,."

http://insidetv.aol.com/2010/02/08/ngc-will-be-sizing-up-sperm-in-new-documentary-wtf/

on a related note:

Not just good, but good for you

Mounting evidence suggests sex helps keep us healthy

"To paraphrase a great old slogan for Guinness beer: Sex isn’t just good, it’s good for you!

Okay, so maybe there’s some wishful thinking going on — the science isn’t exactly iron-clad — but evidence is accumulating that the more sex you have, the better off you are."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5263250

Trigg
03-15-2010, 06:23 PM
I was watching some innocent show with my 7 year old and he all of the sudden asks how babies come out and why women have to lay down to have them.

I asked him how he thought they got out and his answer was "the mom's butt".:laugh2:

We then had question and answer time. Fun, Fun

Shadow
03-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Kids catch on to things pretty quick. My daughters have both caught me off guard a couple of times with things they have either learned via school or TV when they were very young. Once we were going to have a slumber party for my youngest daughters birthday when she was in the 3rd grade. She wanted to invite some boys to this party and I was trying to explain to her why that was not a good idea. She pops off with a very matter of fact "why...it's not like we are going to have sex". I was so shocked by that comment I was speechless.

Edited to add: No she didn't really know what sex was all about...which I found out after we had a very long talk.