PDA

View Full Version : Stupak: Dems told me they want to fund abortions because more kids mean higher health

red states rule
03-15-2010, 07:35 AM
I find this shockingly honest, but it makes sense to me if you consider the source

Friday, March 12, 2010

snip

According to Stupak, that group of twelve pro-life House Democrats — the “Stupak dozen” — has privately agreed for months to vote ‘no’ on the Senate’s health-care bill if federal funding for abortion is included in the final legislative language. Now, in the debate’s final hours, Stupak says the other eleven are coming under “enormous” political pressure from both the White House and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D., Calif.). “I am a definite ‘no’ vote,” he says. “I didn’t cave. The others are having both of their arms twisted, and we’re all getting pounded by our traditional Democratic supporters, like unions.”

Stupak says he also doesn’t trust the “Slaughter solution,” a legislative maneuver being bandied about on Capitol Hill as a way to pass the Senate bill in the House without actually voting on it. “Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me,” he says. “I don’t have a warm-and-fuzzy feeling about what I’m hearing.”

Stupak notes that his negotiations with House Democratic leaders in recent days have been revealing. “I really believe that the Democratic leadership is simply unwilling to change its stance,” he says. “Their position says that women, especially those without means available, should have their abortions covered.” The arguments they have made to him in recent deliberations, he adds, “are a pretty sad commentary on the state of the Democratic party.”

What are Democratic leaders saying? “If you pass the Stupak amendment, more children will be born, and therefore it will cost us millions more. That’s one of the arguments I’ve been hearing,” Stupak says. “Money is their hang-up. Is this how we now value life in America? If money is the issue — come on, we can find room in the budget. This is life we’re talking about.”

If Obamacare passes, Stupak says, it could signal the end of any meaningful role for pro-life Democrats within their own party. “It would be very, very hard for someone who is a right-to-life Democrat to run for office,” he says. “I won’t leave the party. I’m more comfortable here and still believe in a role within it for the right-to-life cause, but this bill will make being a pro-life Democrat much more difficult. They don’t even want to debate this issue. We’ll probably have to wait until the Republicans take back the majority to fix this.”

“Throughout this debate, even when the House leaders have acknowledged us, it’s always been in a backhanded way,” he laments. “I’m telling the others to hold firm, and we’ll meet next week, but I’m disappointed in my colleagues who said they’d be with us and now they’re not. It’s almost like some right-to-life members don’t want to be bothered. They just want this over.”

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=MzU0MDYxMWEyOTdiNGU1OGU3ZjYzYmE3Y2ZlZDQ5NTY=

chloe
03-15-2010, 07:42 AM
I find this shockingly honest, but it makes sense to me if you consider the source

It is shocking and disgusting to think, that the governments solution to a pregant woman without means is to kill her baby and that they would vote to fund it.

red states rule
03-15-2010, 07:44 AM
It is shocking and disgusting to think, that the governments solution to a pregant woman without means is to kill her baby and that they would vote to fund it.

it is called cutting costs for the government Chloe. This is our future is Obamacare passes

red states rule
03-15-2010, 08:29 AM
This is nothing new for Dems. This is what Nancy Pelosi said last year about birth control and the economy

PELOSI SAYS BIRTH CONTROL WILL HELP ECONOMY
Sun Jan 25 2009 22:13:43 ET

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi boldly defended a move to add birth control funding to the new economic "stimulus" package, claiming "contraception will reduce costs to the states and to the federal government."

Pelosi, the mother of 5 children and 6 grandchildren, who once said, "Nothing in my life will ever, ever compare to being a mom," seemed to imply babies are somehow a burden on the treasury.

The revelation came during an exchange Sunday morning on ABC's THIS WEEK.

STEPHANOPOULOS: Hundreds of millions of dollars to expand family planning services. How is that stimulus?

PELOSI: Well, the family planning services reduce cost. They reduce cost. The states are in terrible fiscal budget crises now and part of what we do for children's health, education and some of those elements are to help the states meet their financial needs. One of those - one of the initiatives you mentioned, the contraception, will reduce costs to the states and to the federal government.

STEPHANOPOULOS: So no apologies for that?

PELOSI: No apologies. No. we have to deal with the consequences of the downturn in our economy.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flashpbc.htm

Abbey Marie
03-15-2010, 03:10 PM
And I say to those pro-life Dems- what the heck were you thinking being a Dem anyway? Your party does not value life. Come to the light.

We will accept you and you can keep true to your convictions.

red states rule
03-16-2010, 06:40 AM
And I say to those pro-life Dems- what the heck were you thinking being a Dem anyway? Your party does not value life. Come to the light.

We will accept you and you can keep true to your convictions.

I am sure they have been told that Abbey

Liberals are a strange buch. They will lose sleep over how to save a lost whale in a bay, and get them back to the ocean. They will climb a tree and refuse to come down, to save that tree from being cut down. They will stand in snow and ice to protest the executuon on a guilty and convicted murderer. They allow themselves to be human shields for dictators.

But they will not hesitate to slaughter, and have taxpayers pay for, the inncoent unborn all in the name of "choice"