PDA

View Full Version : Protest outside school after student is suspended for reciting bible verse on chair

LiberalNation
03-16-2010, 01:19 PM
she was disrupting, other students should be free from her proselytizing. If she had said it quietly to herself or a small group no one would have cared. They do this on my campus, scream bible versus at us as we walk along the walk ways.

http://www.whas11.com/news/local/Protest-outside-middle-school-after-student-is-suspended-for-reciting-bible-verse-87812142.html

Louisville, Ky. (WHAS11) - There was a protest going on Tuesday outside Farnsley Middle School in Louisville after a student was suspended and those demonstrating say the girl was just doing what the lord called her to do.

During lunchtime, a student stood up on a chair and began reciting a bible verse and was later suspended for two days.

DragonStryk72
03-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Actually, I think that suspension is a bit steep in this case, unless she's a repeat offender. Personally, I'd have gone with a week's worth of detention, since most likely her parents are not going to punish her at home for the behavioral problem.

now, I went to catholic school, and we did have a guy who jumped up and did something like this. He was given a day of in-school suspension, because my school doesn't believe in giving you a time off for bad behavior.

Abbey Marie
03-16-2010, 03:14 PM
I wonder what your reaction would be, LN, if this was that other school, and she stood up and proclaimed that she was Lesbian and had a right to go to the Prom?

LiberalNation
03-16-2010, 03:16 PM
girl didn't start standing on a chair preaching her life style, she just wanted to go to prom with her girl like everyone else.

SassyLady
03-16-2010, 03:17 PM
I wonder what your reaction would be, LN, if this was that other school, and she stood up and proclaimed that she was Lesbian and had a right to go to the Prom?

I would venture that LN thinks sexual orientation is a protected right but that religion is not? Just saying..........after all, filing a lawsuit against the school is pretty loud!

SassyLady
03-16-2010, 03:18 PM
girl didn't start standing on a chair preaching her life style, she just wanted to go to prom with her girl like everyone else.

No, she didn't stand on a chair .... she filed a lawsuit and became national news! Give me a break!

Abbey Marie
03-16-2010, 03:19 PM

So you think it would be ok in the Lesbian scenario to stand up and do that?

LiberalNation
03-16-2010, 03:25 PM
no, there are ways to handle it like lawsuit, disrupting on chairs is not the answer.

SassyLady
03-16-2010, 03:30 PM
no, there are ways to handle it like lawsuit, disrupting on chairs is not the answer.

Disrupting lunch is worse than causing a prom to be cancelled? :cheers2:

Get real LN - it is the message that you object to, not the method.

LiberalNation
03-16-2010, 03:35 PM
the school caused the prom to be cancled, not the girl. You are blaming the victim again.

SassyLady
03-16-2010, 03:48 PM
the school caused the prom to be cancled, not the girl. You are blaming the victim again.

And the school suspended the young lady who stood on the chair .... aren't you blaming her and not the school.

Once again, I think you have a problem with the message not the method.

Why would you think a lesbian is a victim and a young lady of faith isn't?

Abbey Marie
03-16-2010, 05:12 PM
And the school suspended the young lady who stood on the chair .... aren't you blaming her and not the school.

Once again, I think you have a problem with the message not the method.

Why would you think a lesbian is a victim and a young lady of faith isn't?

That's it exactly.

Noir
03-16-2010, 05:20 PM
Suspension seems a bit too strong,

Why on earth she was told to stand up and yell about her religion i'll never know.

SassyLady
03-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Suspension seems a bit too strong,

Why on earth she was told to stand up and yell about her religion i'll never know.

The same reason I stood up on a picnic table at the first Tea Party in our county and told everyone to say the Plege of Alliegance if they were truly there to support our country. Sometimes you have to stand up and be heard!

Even though we feel compelled to speak up at varying times in our life, it is wise to pick the correct venue if one really wants to be taken seriously, though.

HogTrash
03-16-2010, 05:49 PM
It has been a long time since my high school days, but if I recall correctly the lunchroom was usually filled with several

hundred noisey teenagers and would have been a pretty hard place to disrupt without detonating a low yield nuclear device.

I suspect this young lady's suspension had more to do with the method by which she disrupted the lunchroom.

A low yield nuclear detonation would not have been as politically incorrect and wouldn't have drawn as much attention.

SassyLady
03-16-2010, 05:52 PM
It has been a long time since my high school days, but if I recall correctly the lunchroom was usually filled with several

hundred noisey teenagers and would have been a pretty hard place to disrupt without detonating a low yield nuclear device.

I suspect this young lady's suspension had more to do with the method by which she disrupted the lunchroom.

A low yield nuclear detonation would not have been as politically incorrect and wouldn't have drawn as much attention.

Yep!! If she had stood on the chair and was screaming her love for the Jonas Brothers I doubt she would have been suspended. Probably someone was "offended" by what she was saying, not the decibel level she was delivering it with.

Noir
03-16-2010, 05:54 PM
The same reason I stood up on a picnic table at the first Tea Party in our county and told everyone to say the Plege of Alliegance if they were truly there to support our country. Sometimes you have to stand up and be heard!

Even though we feel compelled to speak up at varying times in our life, it is wise to pick the correct venue if one really wants to be taken seriously, though.

So tell me, (as it has already been alluded to in this topic) if a lesbian had been to a meeting of lesbians, and they told her to make her lesbianism public, and she stood up on a table and yelled about it, would you say that she just needed to stand up and be heard, as you would this religious girl?

SassyLady
03-16-2010, 05:56 PM
So tell me, (as it has already been alluded to in this topic) if a lesbian had been to a meeting of lesbians, and they told her to make her lesbianism public, and she stood up on a table and yelled about it, would you say that she just needed to stand up and be heard, as you would this religious girl?

Yes!

Noir
03-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Yes!

Lol, how weird, i would consider both the lesbian and the bible girl to be in the wrong, you can't just get up and start shouting your mouth off willy nilly.

SassyLady
03-16-2010, 06:04 PM
Lol, how weird, i would consider both the lesbian and the bible girl to be in the wrong, you can't just get up and start shouting your mouth off willy nilly.

Sure you can -- if there are no rules against it. Freedom of speech, remember!

Noir
03-16-2010, 06:14 PM
Sure you can -- if there are no rules against it. Freedom of speech, remember!

I'm sure there are rules against standing on a table that is meant for eating.

If the girl wants to challenge that then fair enough, but she did break the rules, no?

SassyLady
03-16-2010, 06:22 PM
I'm sure there are rules against standing on a table that is meant for eating.

If the girl wants to challenge that then fair enough, but she did break the rules, no?

If there was a rule about standing on the tables and she was suspended for that, then yes it is fair enough.

Noir
03-16-2010, 06:32 PM
If there was a rule about standing on the tables and she was suspended for that, then yes it is fair enough.

From the article in the OP

But Principal Rob Stephenson had a different take on the issue.
“I approached the girl. I didn't know what she was doing and I asked her to get down off the chair. You can't do that,” he said.
Stephenson, who carries a cross in his pocket, says the problem wasn't Aly praying.
“She can't put herself in a dangerous situation. She can't stand up on the cafeteria benches,” said Stephenson.

SassyLady
03-16-2010, 06:50 PM
From the article in the OP

Thanks for clarifying! If the rules say that standing on the table calls for suspension, then so be it ... regardless of what she was saying.

I believe that if a student is gonna stand up and express their faith in Jesus, I have no problem with that, but they have to understand there are consequences and rules,” said Lt. Coulson.

HogTrash
03-16-2010, 06:52 PM
So tell me, (as it has already been alluded to in this topic) if a lesbian had been to a meeting of lesbians, and they told her to make her lesbianism public, and she stood up on a table and yelled about it, would you say that she just needed to stand up and be heard, as you would this religious girl?As a teenager, I would probably have died laughing while making catcalls and yelling the normal "guy stuff" like:

"hey baby, can I watch you get it on with your girlfriend?" while flicking my tongue between two fingers.

Along with most of the male student body and half the girls I might add.

The poor little lesbian girl would have probably died of embarrassment.

darin
03-16-2010, 07:13 PM
I see the facts as this:

Girl disobeyed her principal.

If that were my daughter I'd not only welcome her punishment, but she'd get it worse from me at home.