PDA

View Full Version : Bible Studies at home are banned!

SassyLady
03-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Even though I am not religious this really pisses me off! I wonder if there is a ban on having book meetings, or tupperware parties, or sex toy parties. Holy Cow........is Gilbert the atheist capital?

Church Fights Back After Arizona Town Bans Home Bible Study
Monday, March 15, 2010

GILBERT, Ariz. — The national Alliance Defense Fund says a town code that bars religious assemblies in private homes in the Arizona community of Gilbert is unconstitutional.

The Oasis of Truth church began meeting at Pastor Joe Sutherland's house in November and rotated homes several times a week for Bible study and fellowship.

A Gilbert code compliance officer hit the church with a violation notice after seeing a sign near a road advertising a Sunday service.

A zoning administrator told the church that Bible studies, church leadership meetings and fellowship activities are not permitted in private homes.

The Alliance Defense Fund's Doug Napier says no neighbors complained.

The Scottsdale-based group has filed an appeal with the town of Gilbert, contending its code violates the U.S. Constitution.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,589385,00.html?loomia_ow=t0:s0:a4:g4:r2:c0. 000000:b0:z5

darin
03-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Was that way in Communist Russia, too. I know stories...

Eventually those types of things will be banned nationwide as more and more Christians are labeled "Hate speakers". They will be jailed and likely executed for their faith.

Gaffer
03-16-2010, 07:38 PM
As an atheist I am incensed at this. If I lived in that town I would hold bible studies there myself. It's completely unconstitutional to ban gatherings in homes.

Missileman
03-16-2010, 07:46 PM
I would be curious what led to the ordinance in the first place. Wonder if some dirtbags were trying to make their homes tax exempt as part-time churches.

Abbey Marie
03-17-2010, 12:25 AM
I need to send a donation to the Alliance Defense Fund.

Noir
03-17-2010, 02:38 AM
Even though I am not religious this really pisses me off! I wonder if there is a ban on having book meetings, or tupperware parties, or sex toy parties. Holy Cow........is Gilbert the atheist capital?
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,589385,00.html?loomia_ow=t0:s0:a4:g4:r2:c0. 000000:b0:z5

No. This is not the ateist way. Well, not one I would like to be linked to in any way. Gawd knows what idiot decided this was a good idea, but they need to be given the bill of rights to read over ASAP.

Cap'n Chew
03-17-2010, 03:46 AM
Damn left-wing liberal SOSHULIST.... oh it's Arizona.

PostmodernProphet
03-17-2010, 07:34 AM
Gawd knows what idiot decided this was a good idea .

that would be Missileman...

SassyLady
03-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Update:

updated march 17, 2010
arizona town to rescind ban on church meetings in homes

foxnews.com

a controversial ban on church meetings in private homes in a rapidly-growing arizona town could be rescinded as early as next week, officials say.

A controversial ban on holding church meetings in private homes in a rapidly-growing town in arizona could be rescinded as early as next week, officials say.

Gilbert, ariz., mayor john lewis said members of the city's town council have asked town officials to stop enforcing the ban until permanent changes can be made at a march 22 meeting -- or possibly earlier.

"we welcome their input and suggestions to ensure that church groups are able to meet and enjoy their constitutional rights," lewis said in a statement released on monday.

Lewis said members of the gilbert town council learned six weeks ago that a zoning code intended to help neighborhoods with traffic had been interpreted by town officials to mean that small church groups could not meet in their own homes.

The pastor of the seven-member oasis of truth church received a cease-and-desist letter from a code compliance officer in november to stop church meetings in pastor joe sutherland’s home. That interpretation is "clearly unconstitutional," according to the alliance defense fund, an arizona-based legal organization.

"christian church groups shouldn't be singled out for discrimination and banned from meeting in their own homes," adf attorney daniel blomberg said in a statement issued last week. "the interpretation and enforcement of the town's code is clearly unconstitutional. It bans 200,000 gilbert residents from meeting in their private homes for organized religious purposes -- an activity encouraged in the bible, practiced for thousands of years, and protected by the first amendment."

lewis told azcentral.com that town officials had received hundreds of e-mails from "all over the world" since the adf filed an appeal last week with the zoning board to overturn the ban.

According to the code, which was last updated in april 2006, "religious assembly uses" are not permitted in single family residential structures.

Adf officials note that nothing in the town's zoning code prohibits activities such as cub scout meetings, monday night football parties or business parties in private homes. The zoning code also explicitly allows some day care providers to operate in homes, adf officials said.

In their appeal, adf attorneys argued that the constitution's free exercise clause does not allow a ban on church meetings where all other meetings are permitted.

Gilbert is no stranger to accusations of religious discrimination. In july 2005, town officials reportedly notified the good news presbyterian church that it was violating code by posting signs too early to announce worship services.

The church, azcentral.com reports, left the signs up overnight, violating code that required they be removed within two hours of posting. The 9th u.s. Circuit court of appeals denied the church's request for an injunction last year and remanded the case back to arizona district court.

Despite that history, the town of gilbert remains a "religious friendly area," lewis said on monday.

"religious activities occur all over town and most especially in our homes," he said. "the town council and our citizens will keep it that way."

Abbey Marie
03-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the update, MKP. I am still sending that donation. :salute: