PDA

View Full Version : Priests with love lives speak out against celibacy

chloe
03-17-2010, 08:27 PM
By ANGELA CHARLTON and VICTOR L. SIMPSON
Associated Press Writers

Leon Laclau shared his life, and often, his bed, with Marga over 20 years all while serving as a Catholic priest in a town in the French Pyrenees.

His clerical leadership eventually expelled him, prompting protests from his flock and inspiring other priests and their partners around France to speak out about long-hidden love lives, and to press the Church to abandon its insistence on celibacy.

They say the chastity rule has fed the persistent, profound decline in the numbers of European and American priests. More influential voices are joining them as scandals involving sexual abuse and pedophilia spread across parishes around Europe.

The Vatican rejects any link between celibacy and sex abuse and shows no sign it intends to loosen its rules. Instead, church leaders are likely to continue a don't ask-don't tell policy of ignoring priestly relationships, as long as they cause no harm.

"Love, my love for Marga, never held me back from having faith. On the contrary, it encouraged me," Laclau told The Associated Press by telephone from his home in Asson, in the mountains near the pilgrimage site at Lourdes. "I lived my love life with Marga, and I kept my passion for the church."

The two met when Laclau led the funeral service for Marga's first husband in 1985. When their relationship blossomed, he said, "at first, we tried to hide it."

Slowly their friends learned, and Laclau's church colleagues, who met them "with a silence, not of disapproval, but of non-interference," he said.
The church's quiet tolerance melted when Marga came to live with Leon in 2001. Laclau's superior, Father Benat Oyhenart, asked him to "purify the relationship" _ in essence to choose between his vocation and his love.
Laclau chose Marga. In 2007, he was forced out of the priesthood.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=235&sid=10046537

Abbey Marie
03-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Interesting thread, Chloe.

My thoughts on this have always been:

1. The Church for a very long time has forbidden marriage to save the tons of money it would cost them to support wives and families. Not for religious reasons. It may have started out for Biblical reasons, but I think it changed to an economic one. Cynical, I know, but that is what I believe. Btw, some early Popes were married.

2. Gay pedophiles (which just about all priest pedophiles are, as their target is boys) have been drawn to the priesthood because it is the one place where no one would question their being unmarried. And they have had unquestioned access to children due to their status as priests.

glockmail
03-18-2010, 11:49 AM
As a Catholic I'd support marriage for priests.

Gaffer
03-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Support marriage for priests and nuns.

glockmail
03-18-2010, 12:04 PM
They won't be able to call them nuns anymore.

Abbey Marie
03-18-2010, 12:20 PM
I'll bet if the nuns I had in grade school were married, they wouldn't have been quite so mean. :coffee:

revelarts
03-18-2010, 12:23 PM
But they could legitimately call the priest "Fathers".

As a protestant. I have to mention that Priestly celibacy is not required in the Bible.
Peter was Married.
And In the Early Roman Catholic Church priest were married. The rule is a later ecclesiastical addition and a bad-one.

Gaffer
03-18-2010, 12:38 PM
But they could legitimately call the priest "Fathers".

As a protestant. I have to mention that Priestly celibacy is not required in the Bible.
Peter was Married.
And In the Early Roman Catholic Church priest were married. The rule is a later ecclesiastical addition and a bad-one.

Yep it started when someone decided sex was a bad thing and was to be avoided at all costs.

Monkeybone
03-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Yep it started when someone decided sex was a bad thing and was to be avoided at all costs.

you said the S word! going to hell!

Gaffer
03-18-2010, 12:59 PM
you said the S word! going to hell!

:lol:

Mr. P
03-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Anyone seen the series (6 parts I think) "The Torn birds"? It sort of addressed this issue among others.

03-18-2010, 10:01 PM

Never understood it myself. After all God commanded us to multiply and replenish the earth.