PDA

View Full Version : Lawmaker tells Blacks to 'get over' slavery!

darin
01-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Honestly? I agree with him. Course, Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton and their ilk would be unemployed.

RICHMOND, Va. -- A state legislator said black people "should get over" slavery and questioned whether Jews should apologize "for killing Christ," drawing denunciations Tuesday from stunned colleagues.

Del. Frank D. Hargrove, 79, made his remarks in opposition to a measure that would apologize on the state's behalf to the descendants of slaves.

In an interview published Tuesday in The Daily Progress of Charlottesville, Hargrove said slavery ended nearly 140 years ago with the Civil War and added that "our black citizens should get over it."

The newspaper also quoted him as saying, "are we going to force the Jews to apologize for killing Christ?"

Black lawmakers swiftly denounced Hargrove's comments.

"When somebody tells me I should just get over slavery, I can only express my emotion by projecting that I am appalled, absolutely appalled," said Del. Dwight C. Jones, head of the Legislative Black Caucus.

Del. David L. Englin also criticized Hargrove's remarks, recalling that his grandparents were driven from their homes in Poland "by people who believed that as Jews, we killed Christ."

When Hargrove rose to speak, he told Englin he didn't care about Englin's religion. "I think your skin was a little too thin," Hargrove said as lawmakers gasped and groaned.

http://www.kirotv.com/politics/10764674/detail.html

Insein
01-17-2007, 02:29 PM
These people are idiots.

Del. David L. Englin also criticized Hargrove's remarks, recalling that his grandparents were driven from their homes in Poland "by people who believed that as Jews, we killed Christ."

Thats the fucking point you dumbass. Should those Jews have had to have left their homes because someone wanted an apology for their ancestors killing Christ? Should lawmakers being wasting everyone's time putting out apologies for slavery when their isnt a Black American alive today who was a slave?

Seriously, this guy is right on. Get the fuck over it so we can all live our lives.

jillian
01-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Funny. Last I heard, Jesus was killed by Romans. And besides any issue with Jesus was an internal one between them and another Jew and the political/religious structure of the time.

Perhaps its Jews who deserve an apology. Oh right... the Pope did that. :thumb:

Gaffer
01-17-2007, 02:35 PM
If blacks get over slavery jackson,sharpton and rangel won't be able extort money anymore. Would I enjoy seeing these three homeless on the street....YOU BET YOUR ASS I WOULD.

Insein
01-17-2007, 02:36 PM
All the more reason to push this idea, lol.

darin
01-17-2007, 02:52 PM
Funny. Last I heard, Jesus was killed by Romans.

At the hand of the romans, by the demands/choice of the jewish leadership of the day.

Gunny
01-17-2007, 03:02 PM
Funny. Last I heard, Jesus was killed by Romans. And besides any issue with Jesus was an internal one between them and another Jew and the political/religious structure of the time.

Perhaps its Jews who deserve an apology. Oh right... the Pope did that. :thumb:

Romans carried out the execution because by law, the Jews could not. But the choice was the Jews. That's the whole point to Pilate washing his hands of Christ's fate.

That isn't an accusation, just a fact. I find it absurd that anyone today (or 60 years ago) could hold Jews responsible for the actions of the Pharisees 2000 years ago. That's just dumb.

darin
01-17-2007, 03:05 PM
But the REAL kicker is...Christians need to - in fact, all of MANKIND, needs to THANK those Pharisees. Them Killing Christ was the ONLY INSURANCE mankind has against spending eternity away from God. Them Killing Christ has allowed MILLIONS to know Him.

Only an Idiot Christian would be angry.

5stringJeff
01-17-2007, 03:05 PM
How about this: every living former slaveowner should apologize to every living former slave. Those that were neither slaveowners nor slaves have nothing to say about the matter.

Gunny
01-17-2007, 03:20 PM
How about this: every living former slaveowner should apologize to every living former slave. Those that were neither slaveowners nor slaves have nothing to say about the matter.

You left out the free, one-way trip back to Africa.

Gaffer
01-17-2007, 03:23 PM

Sounds fair to me. And what Gunny said.

jillian
01-17-2007, 03:24 PM
Romans carried out the execution because by law, the Jews could not. But the choice was the Jews. That's the whole point to Pilate washing his hands of Christ's fate.

That isn't an accusation, just a fact. I find it absurd that anyone today (or 60 years ago) could hold Jews responsible for the actions of the Pharisees 2000 years ago. That's just dumb.

It is dumb. Yet my grandmother, her sisters and their mother had the windows of their home broken and were forced to hide in closets to get away from the flying glass by people who called them "christ killers".

So the type of statement, while there may be certain elements of historic fact, end up being inflammatory and leading to that type of hatred and hateful act.

Gunny
01-17-2007, 03:28 PM
It is dumb. Yet my grandmother, her sisters and their mother had the windows of their home broken and were forced to hide in closets to get away from the flying glass by people who called them "christ killers".

So the type of statement, while there may be certain elements of historic fact, end up being inflammatory and leading to that type of hatred and hateful act.

I don't doubt that a bit. People have a habit of interpretting things to suit themselves, and they ALWAYS do so in search of someone to villify.

jillian
01-17-2007, 03:34 PM
I don't doubt that a bit. People have a habit of interpretting things to suit themselves, and they ALWAYS do so in search of someone to villify.

True. And if a group of people are predisposed to hating another group, it doesn't take much to encourage them.

Insein
01-17-2007, 06:20 PM
True. And if a group of people are predisposed to hating another group, it doesn't take much to encourage them.

All the more reason to encourage these people to "get over it." That way we can stop having bombthrowers like Sharpton and Jackson igniting flames where none need to be.

Dilloduck
01-17-2007, 08:13 PM
ANYONE who thinks they are owed needs to "get over it" !

01-17-2007, 11:21 PM
All the more reason to encourage these people to "get over it." That way we can stop having bombthrowers like Sharpton and Jackson igniting flames where none need to be.

Amen bro.

When are they going to get over the slave issue? i mean its been nearly 150 years.

MIKESHARQ
01-18-2007, 09:07 AM
Reparations

When will Lawyers, Educators, Leftist Politicians quit perpetuating division among Americans? African-American, German-American, Hispanic-American and on and on and on; why are we not just AMERICANS?

Consider two human beings arriving in a young United States of America in 1811. The first, a Negro man kidnapped in what is now Nigeria Africa and sold to a plantation owner in Alabama; the second a Caucasian man conscripted in Prussia, what is now Germany Europe and delivered to a militia in Indiana.

Now consider, 10 generations later, a descendent of the first man is Condoleezza Rice, Secretary of State of the USA and a descendent of the second man is John Bryant, tire salesman for Firestone. Do John and his lineage owe Reparations to Condoleezza and hers? Only in the mind of liberal educators and sleazy lawyers!