PDA

View Full Version : A kid draws stick-figures with Guns; kid accused of having Mental Disorder

darin
04-24-2007, 11:30 AM
WHAT THE HELL are we doing to our society? Seriously, folks - Has reason LEFT US? Why the hell aren't aren't people rioting in the streets to get that principle FIRED? We sit and tolerated IDIOTS teaching our children.

I'm feeling our country, as we know it, won't be around in 100 years.

CAMDEN, N.J. (AP) -- It was a crude animation of one stick figure shooting another created for a school graphics class last week.

But during the same week as a shooting massacre at Virginia Tech, officials at Williamstown High School found nothing innocent about the sketch. As a result, the student says a vice principal told him he would not be allowed to attend classes again until he passes a mental health evaluation.

In response, the 18-year-old, identified in court papers only as "J.K.,'' filed a lawsuit Monday asking a federal judge to order school officials to allow him back to class and to pay for damages.

Although J.K. has attention deficit disorder, according to court papers he was an honor student, a flight commander in his school's Air Force junior ROTC program and took some courses at Gloucester County College.

According to his report card, he earned five "A's'' and a "B'' last quarter. One of those A's was in his graphic design class.

During that class on Monday -- hours before the world knew that Seung-Hui Cho had killed 32 people at Virginia Tech -- J.K. said he was asked to make animations for a program they were learning.

J.K.'s sketch comprised of two stick figures, one with a raised a gun that had dashes leading from it to the head of the other one.

The next morning, he said he showed the drawing to his teacher, Christine Dailey, but told her he was not done with it. In court papers, he said he planned to show the victim deflecting or destroying the bullet. But, he claimed, Dailey did not listen to him further.

Two days later, he said, vice principal Paul Deal told him that he was not being suspended or expelled, but that he might be a threat to the school or himself. J.K. said he was told to leave and not return until he being cleared by a mental health professional.

Continues at link:

http://1010wins.com/pages/380464.php?contentType=4&contentId=434407

gabosaurus
04-24-2007, 11:33 AM
I agree. Let's allow him his peculiar fantasies. A couple of years later, he will end up someplace like Virginia Tech.
Or perhaps his parents just have a lot of guns. And endorse their use.

darin
04-24-2007, 11:38 AM
I agree. Let's allow him his peculiar fantasies. A couple of years later, he will end up someplace like Virginia Tech.
Or perhaps his parents just have a lot of guns. And endorse their use.

what the hell? you aren't even reading, are you. (sigh).

Trigg
04-24-2007, 11:50 AM
Honestly at 18 the kid should have known this would get him in trouble.

The stories that bug me are the little kids who pick up sticks and play cops and robbers and the teachers grab them and accuse them of having guns under the "no tolerance" act.

Or the kid who discovered mom left a knife in his lunch bag and got in trouble after turning it into the teacher.

-Cp
04-24-2007, 12:05 PM
WHAT THE HELL are we doing to our society? Seriously, folks - Has reason LEFT US? Why the hell aren't aren't people rioting in the streets to get that principle FIRED? We sit and tolerated IDIOTS teaching our children.

I'm feeling our country, as we know it, won't be around in 100 years.

I'm tellin' ya.... now you know why the Bible tells us that in the last days folks will be crying out to God begging him to come back....

It's this impenetrable ignorance that has gone amuck...

darin
04-24-2007, 12:21 PM
Honestly at 18 the kid should have known this would get him in trouble.

The stories that bug me are the little kids who pick up sticks and play cops and robbers and the teachers grab them and accuse them of having guns under the "no tolerance" act.

Or the kid who discovered mom left a knife in his lunch bag and got in trouble after turning it into the teacher.

Can you explain HOW he should have known 'drawing a stick-figure gun-fight' would get him in trouble? You're blaming the wrong person here...the person to blame is the idiot who suspended him.

Samantha
04-24-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm tellin' ya.... now you know why the Bible tells us that in the last days folks will be crying out to God begging him to come back....

It's this impenetrable ignorance that has gone amuck...:lol: Now I know why people believe all the crazy lies they are told by the Bush admin....because they believe all the fairy tales told by the bible! :lol:

Maybe if our society wasn't so swamped with guns and war and violent video games, kids wouldn't draw pictures of people shooting eachother.

It's common sense. Develop a more peaceful, kind society, with educated, thoughtful people, and you won't have these problems of violence in schools.

Call out for more guns and more people to carry guns, encourage war, keep showing death and blood and guts on TV and in video games, and what do you expect the children to learn?

duh

darin
04-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Samatha -The slam against -Cp's personal religious beliefs was NOT required on your part. You're really hateful, aren't ya? Geesh.

darin
04-24-2007, 12:27 PM
It's common sense. Develop a more peaceful, kind society, with educated, thoughtful people, and you won't have these problems of violence in schools.

Not exactly. Develop a more-peaceful, kind society with educated and thoughtful people and your society will be over-run by Islamic Terrorist who'd have NO trouble kicking our pansy-asses. :)

remie
04-24-2007, 12:27 PM
This might just take the cake. Has our society become this sensitive and politically correct? It is a graphic arts class for crying out loud and the artwork was not even complete. Its not as though the kid was a persistant trouble maker, he is an honor student. Un f###ing real.

Hagbard Celine
04-24-2007, 12:35 PM
dmp, you and I both know how alarmist everyone gets after an event like the VT massacre. I agree though, that this is way over the top. This teacher just wanted to be in the news.

LiberalNation
04-24-2007, 12:57 PM
An over-reaction of the highest order. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Hobbit
04-24-2007, 01:46 PM
Not exactly. Develop a more-peaceful, kind society with educated and thoughtful people and your society will be over-run by Islamic Terrorist who'd have NO trouble kicking our pansy-asses. :)

I seem to recall a wise man, or maybe just a wise guy, once saying:

I can see a world without war, without fighting. I can see a war where nobody fights and everybody gets along. I can also see us attacking that world, because they would never see it coming.

darin
04-24-2007, 01:47 PM
I seem to recall a wise man, or maybe just a wise guy, once saying:

I can see a world without war, without fighting. I can see a war where nobody fights and everybody gets along. I can also see us attacking that world, because they would never see it coming.

lmao :)

Trigg
04-24-2007, 02:53 PM
Can you explain HOW he should have known 'drawing a stick-figure gun-fight' would get him in trouble? You're blaming the wrong person here...the person to blame is the idiot who suspended him.

Ever since Columbine it has been hammered into the kids minds, no guns, no knives, no sticks that look like guns or knives, no pictures that show guns or knives. So ya, an 18 year old should have known better even in an art class.

I'm not agreeing with what the school did. They've gone way over the top with no tolerance.

My 9 year old took a little soldier gun to school (half a pinky long) and it was confisgated for being a GUN AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

darin
04-24-2007, 03:07 PM
Ever since Columbine it has been hammered into the kids minds, no guns, no knives, no sticks that look like guns or knives, no pictures that show guns or knives. So ya, an 18 year old should have known better even in an art class.

I'm not agreeing with what the school did. They've gone way over the top with no tolerance.

My 9 year old took a little soldier gun to school (half a pinky long) and it was confisgated for being a GUN AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

But it's a stick-figure drawing....

Trigg
04-24-2007, 03:12 PM
But it's a stick-figure drawing....

hey, I didn't say it wasn't stupid. But, the schools have been over reacting for 8 yrs now so he should have known better.

My dear 9 yr old also drew a picture of a battle scene, he got sent to the principles office for that one also. So I understand where your coming from.

04-24-2007, 03:16 PM

More importantly how would have known drawing a stick figure gun fight would get him in trouble BEFORE the news broke about Virginia Tech? They might have some sort of argument otherwise.

04-24-2007, 03:20 PM
:lol: Now I know why people believe all the crazy lies they are told by the Bush admin....because they believe all the fairy tales told by the bible! :lol:

Maybe if our society wasn't so swamped with guns and war and violent video games, kids wouldn't draw pictures of people shooting eachother.

Call out for more guns and more people to carry guns, encourage war, keep showing death and blood and guts on TV and in video games, and what do you expect the children to learn?

duh

There is no fairy tale in the Bible. And the bigotted response from you is just reinforcing the point that the world is going to go amuck.

If you are so concerned with society being swamped with violence shouldnt you be protesting hollywood because they do far more to desensitize people to violence than anything else.

Teach people to defend themselves against evil and its a no brainer that there will be less violence because evil people are inherently cowards and go for easy targets.

You seem to think there is an alternative to war and violence when evil people attack. The alternative is death. That isnt a choice people want to make for themselves. But then we live in the real world. Not this fantasy world where we can ignore evil and hope that they wont kill us for power.

Hobbit
04-24-2007, 08:34 PM

Well, if they showed even a *little* bit of tolerance, they couldn't call it a zero tolerance policy, could they.

Kathianne
04-24-2007, 08:40 PM

I agree. After he was given a chance to explain the drawing. Damn.