PDA

View Full Version : New Utah high school wants to be public library too

chloe
03-19-2010, 08:06 AM
By Alex Cabrero

<!-- ===================[ STORY BODY : RICH TEXT ]================= -->
TOOELE COUNTY Stansbury Park High School is only in its first year, but already school officials are hoping to do something they believe will be the first of its kind in Utah.

The school is hoping to make its library available for public use.
"Here in the Stansbury Park area, or even in northern Tooele County, we don't have a public library," said Stansbury Park High School Principal Kendall Topham.

The plan is still in the early stages, but if approved, it'll start in the fall of 2010 with the new school year.

"I get about one person, at least, a week from the public asking if it's a public library yet," said Stansbury Park High School librarian Kim Foss. "They want to use computers or check out books or just have a place to kind of hang and relax and read."

Currently, Stansbury Park residents have to drive 15 minutes to Tooele or 20 minutes to Grantsville to use a library.
Residents can also wait for the Book-Mobile to visit the area.

"It's going to be a big change, but I'm really excited about it because I want information for everybody. I think everybody should be able to read and use computers, and the community really needs it," said Foss.
Topham says the initial plan is to have volunteers operate the library a few hours after classes.

He also thinks this public partnership would be a way for Tooele County to save money because the county wouldn't have to build a new library in the future if one is ever planned.

"We've got a nice facility here, and I think it would be great that it's something that gets used not just by our students and staff, but also by the public," said Topham.

Topham also believes this partnership would be a first in Utah. He's looking at schools in Idaho, Colorado and South Dakota where similar partnerships have been successful.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=690&sid=10037007

Noir
03-19-2010, 08:28 AM
Seems a good idea, it does raise problems though, with regards strangers being around children, but i guess that will be a necessary evil of the system.

Binky
03-19-2010, 09:26 AM
Evil finds it's way to children in any given circumstance. Think of the priests that violate them....Or teachers. Or their own parents and step parents etc.

LiberalNation
03-19-2010, 02:01 PM
make the library with a door to the outside, people can go in but wouldn't have access to the rest of the school.

Noir
03-19-2010, 02:10 PM
make the library with a door to the outside, people can go in but wouldn't have access to the rest of the school.

But is the library not part of the school aswell? i.e. if there are students in the library you will also have un-vetted adults.

03-19-2010, 02:11 PM
Make it open to the public on off school hours and during the summer. Problem solved.

Abbey Marie
03-19-2010, 03:26 PM

Then how do the students get into the Library? The only way I think this would safely work is if the public is only allowed in after school hours,and after students doing homework are also gone. Libraries often attract the homeless, too.

Kathianne
03-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Make it open to the public on off school hours and during the summer. Problem solved.

That's the only way I see it as viable. Too much liability for the school. Imagine a shooting incident.