PDA

View Full Version : Forget Popcorn; Executive Demands Healthy Treats at Movie Theaters

Shadow
03-20-2010, 08:47 AM
Instead of hearing the rustle of candy wrappers, moviegoers may be interrupted by the sound of people munching on apples and carrots. Sony Pictures Entertainment Chief Executive Michael Lynton wants theater owners to put down the popcorn and candy and start offering healthier treats, the L.A. Times reports.

http://www.popeater.com/2010/03/17/healthy-food-movie-theater/?icid=main|hp-desktop|dl2|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.popeater.com%2F 2010%2F03%2F17%2Fhealthy-food-movie-theater%2F

Okay...this healthy crap is just getting obnoxious now IMO.

DragonStryk72
03-20-2010, 09:01 AM
Actually, what they're talking about doing, from the article, isn't so much getting rid of the soda and candy, but adding other options, which is always fine with me, since I'll still be getting my regular run of popcorn soda and hot dogs anyhow.

As to healthy options, it's a good idea, not just nutritionally speaking, but sales wise. Parents are being a lot more conscious about the whole sweets thing, so if there are healthier options available at the stand, they'd be more likely to buy some. This could actually result in lower concession prices as the demand goes up, which means I don't need to sneak food and soda in when I don't feel like paying double.

Mr. P
03-20-2010, 09:08 AM
:popcorn: With EXTRA BUTTER! That's all I have to say about that!!!

Shadow
03-20-2010, 09:13 AM
I guess about half of the people polled liked the idea. It was pretty evenly split,but I wonder how many people will actually choose the healthy food choices? Some of the movie theatres around here kinda go over board with the snacks...everything from ice cream,to fully loaded nacho supremes...along with the regular movie food items we all are used to. I guess even more choices couldn't hurt and it could be good for the children and adults who can't really have the other snacks due to health reasons, to have that option available to them at the theatres.

Shadow
03-20-2010, 09:15 AM
:popcorn: With EXTRA BUTTER! That's all I have to say about that!!!

Me too! I could make myself sick eating buttery popcorn...but it's so good you just can't help it sometimes LOL.

Shadow
03-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Actually, what they're talking about doing, from the article, isn't so much getting rid of the soda and candy, but adding other options, which is always fine with me, since I'll still be getting my regular run of popcorn soda and hot dogs anyhow.

As to healthy options, it's a good idea, not just nutritionally speaking, but sales wise. Parents are being a lot more conscious about the whole sweets thing, so if there are healthier options available at the stand, they'd be more likely to buy some. This could actually result in lower concession prices as the demand goes up, which means I don't need to sneak food and soda in when I don't feel like paying double.

Yeah..the concession prices are crazy. Once my kids wanted a pretzel instead of popcorn,so I said okay without paying much attention to the menu. We ordered 3 pretzels and 3 cokes which ended up cosing about $ 28.00...I couldn't believe it. That was way more than what we spend on the actual movie tickets. Now when we go we stop at Walmart for boxed candy like Skittles or Milk Duds...but we do usually always end up with popcorn and cokes...even getting the theatre special it's still $ 15.00 which is still way too high IMO...good thing we don't go but maybe once or twice a month( If that).

revelarts
03-20-2010, 10:28 AM
Yeah that's what i wondering. $5 for a apple slice?

$20 for a whole apple?

PostmodernProphet
03-20-2010, 11:01 AM
lol....I remember once when the kids were little we were hurrying to take in a Saturday matinee and I hadn't had time to feed them.....went through McDonalds drivein and smuggled in about six hamburgers that they ate during the movie......

Shadow
03-20-2010, 11:11 AM
For awhile one of the theatres in town would let you bring in outside food. We would stop and at Wendy's on the way sometimes. But they then built a huge snack bar that serves everything you can think of including Pizza,so now they wont let you. We still sneak boxes of candy,drink boxes and cokes though. Having a big purse is very handy LOL.

Gaffer
03-20-2010, 07:51 PM
I don't go to theaters any more. I prefer to get the DVD and watch it at home on a big TV, a comfortable couch. I can eat what I want, smoke, drink beer if I want to and pause it when nature calls. Plus the extended versions on DVD are always much better than whats at the theater.

Mr. P
03-20-2010, 08:03 PM
I don't go to theaters any more. I prefer to get the DVD and watch it at home on a big TV, a comfortable couch. I can eat what I want, smoke, drink beer if I want to and pause it when nature calls. Plus the extended versions on DVD are always much better than whats at the theater.

Same here..can't tell you the last time I went to a movie.

Shadow
03-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Maybe that's what I should do then...save up my Popcorn/Pretzel money and invest in a big screen TV. Heck for $28.00 + per visit it shouldn't take all that long.

Mr. P
03-20-2010, 08:28 PM
Maybe that's what I should do then...save up my Popcorn/Pretzel money and invest in a big screen TV. Heck for $28.00 + per visit it shouldn't take all that long.

and you can buy one of these..:thumb:

http://www.google.com/products?q=popcorn+machine&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=snWlS-GKPM6UtgesgJX2CQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CC4QrQQwAA

Shadow
03-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Definately! Everyone I know would want to be my movie watching pal if I did that. I'd better get a bigger couch too! ;)

darin
03-20-2010, 10:03 PM
I 'effing HATE the way this nation is going...holy cow...guys - Communist Russia meets The Minority Report will be here before too long

LiberalNation
03-20-2010, 11:33 PM
I doubt the health foods at the movies will catch on. I tend to try to sneak a coke in vs paying their outrageous prices.

HappyCamperKitteh
04-28-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm all for healthy eating, but you're right, it IS getting obnoxious.
They already overcharge for the garbage food that's normally purchased in bulk for really cheap. Fresh foods are going to be more expensive to purchase and therefore, more expensive to sell. Also think about the long distance movers than have to bring that stuff to various locations ASAP. It's kind of pointless.

I will never pay $3 for an apple, thank you. ;)